Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2015 4:13:43 PM EDT
Hey guys,

So I picked up a MAK-90 for super cheap the other day, I work in a gun shop with access to gunsmiths and all kinds of cool machines and thought I'd see if anyone had some cool ideas to play around with. I'll pick out a few and then post pics after its done. If there's enough interest I'll see about doing another every few weeks or so. Lets hear em!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
give it to me that would be crazy
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
My experience with them is that they are generally good shooters. They were built start to finish in the same factory, as opposed to being an aglomeration of parts from multiple makes and sources, as are a lot of current AK's out there. Replace the wood thumbhole stock/forend with whatever stock you choose, thread the muzzle for a flash hider, re-trigger it if needed, and add an Ultimak gas tube rail combo for a red dot and you will have one damn nice HD/shooter/plinker. The only thing left for me to do on mine is add the Magpul Zhukov side folder as soon as it comes in.

I know, not in any way crazy, but you're not really trying to be that guy are you?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy these two sets and put them in the gun. Save the originals. Don't bubbaize them or the gun.

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDNEWMAK_2.html

http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29980

I know what you're thinking. "It's just a MAK 90. Who cares?"

In the future you'll be glad you didn't monkey with it. I guarantee it. How's that for crazy?
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Deban it back into a type 56 configuration. Assuming it is straight cut receiver and not a slant-cut.

Get the spiker bayonet FSB and install it. The for export spikers were mostly unthreaded, threading was extra and usually a simple muzzle nut would be supplied. so you can thread or not either works.

Get the ironwood designs set for it.

Smooth all of the edges down and you can even refinish it as the stock paint isn't super durable and probably will show wear.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I plan on doing something like this to a WASR in the next few weeks...

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Cut and crown to 14" perm attach flashider, then add Zenit rail and sidefolder from CNC Warrior.  Then duracoat or cerakote multicam.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I plan on doing something like this to a WASR in the next few weeks..
View Quote

Any details on the base rifle?  Looks like it has a one piece  gas block front sight and shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:14:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Bradleyc, thanks for the links. I found some things I was looking for. Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:38:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey Bradleyc, thanks for the links. I found some things I was looking for. Appreciate it.
View Quote

You're very welcome. I love it when AKs get money spent on them for practical things.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Gold plated, Iraqi-style?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Any details on the base rifle?  Looks like it has a one piece  gas block front sight and shorter barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, and the top cover/rear sight leaf setup too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Go spiker with it, you won't be sorry! Tortort has awesome repro spiker FSB's.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Base rifle will be a WASR.  The barrel will be shopped to 14'5" or so and a flash hider will be permanently attached.  The top cover is the latest gen. Galil top cover that has the windage adjustable rear aperture.  The front sight is going to be removed and welded to the top of the gas block.  It will be finished in Magpul FDE and should be a stunner when done.  

Mocked one up just to get a rough idea of what the final product would look like that way I don't waste money buying parts and then changing my mind when I find out that I like the final product...

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
Do this.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top