Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2015 11:03:49 PM EDT
Is anyone familiar with this rifle?

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/zastava-ak-47-m70b1-pap-7-62x39mm-rifles-w-2-hi-cap-mags-detail.html?Itemid=0

MY LGS has one in stock but he doesn't know much about it. I've read that they're assembled by Century Arms with US made RPK receivers and heavy barrels but haven't been able to find any specifics regarding what barrel they use (i.e. make, type of steel, CL?), etc.  

Most of the online reviews seem to be good but I wanted to check here first...are these decent quality?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
They are US receivers and barrels as you said...barrel is 4140 NON chrome lined.  Build quality is average to good on some I have seen, check for canted gas and sight blocks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:10:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Century M70s have a good rep.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses.  From what I've read, the non-chrome lined 4140 barrels are good for around 8-10,000 rounds?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses. From what I've read, the non-chrome lined 4140 barrels are good for around 8-10,000 rounds?
View Quote

I have an M70AB2 from Century.  Certainly nothing negative to say about it to this point.  It isn't an Arsenal, but I also didn't pay an Arsenal price for it.  As for the non-chrome lined barrel?  Round count is probably subjective...  How fast you shoot (i.e. Heat input) or how often you clean your barrel will effect that estimated 8k-10k round count.  Honestly, I have never heard of anyone "shooting out" a barrel on any AK.  I'm sure there's someone on 'da intanet' that has...  but I'd like to see the rifle to believe it.  If the price isn't bad, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the rifle.  Just check the usual points when buying any AK.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have an M70AB2 from Century.  Certainly nothing negative to say about it to this point.  It isn't an Arsenal, but I also didn't pay an Arsenal price for it.  As for the non-chrome lined barrel?  Round count is probably subjective...  How fast you shoot (i.e. Heat input) or how often you clean your barrel will effect that estimated 8k-10k round count.  Honestly, I have never heard of anyone "shooting out" a barrel on any AK.  I'm sure there's someone on 'da intanet' that has...  but I'd like to see the rifle to believe it.  If the price isn't bad, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the rifle.  Just check the usual points when buying any AK.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses. From what I've read, the non-chrome lined 4140 barrels are good for around 8-10,000 rounds?

Good to hear that you're happy with it...I haven't seen a bad review yet on this particular model.  Not sure if there's any truth to it but some have said that Century outsources the build for the m70b1. From what I've read, it looks like the barrel is made by Green Mountain, the receiver is US, the BCG and furniture are new (haven't seen a particular make mentioned), and the trigger is a tapco g2 which doesn't seem to leave much.  Does anyone know what parts are original?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
. From what I've read, it looks like the barrel is made by Green Mountain, the receiver is US, the BCG and furniture are new (haven't seen a particular make mentioned), and the trigger is a tapco g2 which doesn't seem to leave much.  Does anyone know what parts are original?
View Quote

Everything should be original except the receiver, barrel, FCG, and furniture (on this version. Century did produce these with surplus wood also). Depending on how complete the kit was when Century received it, they might also add a US part here or there, like the slant brake.

I have an M70AB2 that Century did a really great job on. Everything is straight, tight, and the bluing is very well done. The mag well is a little tight, which is ironic because it's the only rifle I own that was built on a "double-stack" receiver; all the others were imports that had to be opened up.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The shooting out the barrel topic is usually not going to be a huge deal for most shooters.  As was stated above, don't seriously overheat it (like 5 mag dumps in a row as fast as you can). An AK isn't going to be a target/match rifle anyway.

Clean your barrel carefully every couple of trips, it will give you a lifetime of usable accuracy.

The guys you see worried about barrel life are the longer range target shooters to who a 1/4 or 1/2 inch larger group really matter, and I get that.  Short of abusing a PAP, you'll never notice any degradation in usable accuracy with reasonable use and care.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top