BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2015 6:35:58 PM EDT
I stand corrected, apparently they are producing a new product of some sort, no idea who the builder or supplier's are for parts.

https://www.facebook.com/PalmettoStateArmory/photos/a.10151961136427097.1073741825.279117042096/10152572094382097/?type=1
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Only way this is interesting is if it has an FN cold hammer forged barrel or comes in around $500.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
or comes in around $500.  
View Quote

Most I.O.'s do.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Palmetto State Armory known for their budget friendly AR15 rifles and parts kits is now venturing into the AK47 market. They showed off their new PSAK47 AK47 rifle at the 2015 SHOT Show. According to the PSA rep at the show the rifle is made out of American made parts minus the furniture. Stay tuned for more info as we get it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't see anything that says it's an IO rifle?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't see anything that says it's an IO rifle?
View Quote

It might not be. Anything is possible I guess, but do you really reckon PSA tooled up to make AK's from scratch? See the above quote " American made parts minus the furniture"
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw this in GD, but now that you mention it they do look like IO AK's to me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#7]
ETA: question was already answered.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Every late-model IO I've seen had yugo-style BHO safeties and IO's knock-off circle-10 mags. This has neither. Of course, that doesn't mean that IO isn't building these.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:01:10 PM EDT
[#9]
According to the PSA rep at the show the rifle is made out of American made parts minus the furniture. Stay tuned for more info as we get it..
View Quote

Wait, what? That is the easy part.....why would you not make that?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:58:01 PM EDT
[#10]
from this distance the rivets don't look like abortions so it may not be IO
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Every late-model IO I've seen had yugo-style BHO safeties and IO's knock-off circle-10 mags. This has neither. Of course, that doesn't mean that IO isn't building these.
View Quote

This. The IO rifles also have FSBs that resemble early AKM versions and cast AKM style bolt carriers. This has what appears to be a later style FSB and an AK-47 style carrier (though details are difficult to see).
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:16:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Great..we get cut off from REAL AK's by EO...and will be force fed US junk...Its happening everywhere if you look around.

I have had the pleasure of owning great AK's since '89.....and I think I will start building my own.  I for one will not let IO dictate the QC in my guns!  

I have heard that the "new" IO is supposed to be totally different.......Is there a member here that has experience with the new models?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:01:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I for one welcome more US made AK rifles!
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 5:32:45 AM EDT
[#15]
A decent U.S. made "spiker" would be nice just say'in...
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Well now there's a hint of what it might be, Century just published some specs of the RAS 47 and the big change is a 4150 nitrided ESS barrel, maybe PSA contracted for some re-branded and with poly furniture?
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well now there's a hint of what it might be, Century just published some specs of the RAS 47 and the big change is a 4150 nitrided ESS barrel, maybe PSA contracted for some re-branded and with poly furniture?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They might use the same barrel, but the RAS 47 has a different gas block and front sight block, so that would be unlikely.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

There is a photo on the AK files that shows the Palmetto State Armory roll mark as well as their own serial number.  I know this doesn't mean they are not contract produced and re-branded, however ...  anything except I.O.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The PSAK47 is made from all new parts, and does not involve any other AK manufacturer/retailer/Importer.  This is truly a new AK.  

View Quote

Looking forward to some reviews of this...and the 1911!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I for one welcome more US made AK rifles!
View Quote

This.  

I'm willing to see how these rifles perform over time, and will judge them accordingly on their own merits (or lack thereof).

I like the pedigree of foreign AK's, but my primary concern with any AK is simply "Does it possess the functional qualities a good AK is supposed to possess?"  If any of these U.S. companies and their new AK offerings can answer that question in the affirmative, I'll be glad to see these new options.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The PSAK47 is made from all new parts, and does not involve any other AK manufacturer/retailer/Importer.  This is truly a new AK.  

View Quote

Good to hear.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I know lot's of people say PSA sells shit, but this just eliminated any doubt.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#26]
While this peaks my interests, idk if i would buy a first round gun. I would wait for reviews. Im in no hurry for another standard AKM but at that price, if they are excellent rifles, it sure beats the fuck out of a WASR
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#27]
For 600 bucks I would take a chance
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

For 600 bucks I'd rather another N PAP.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  For $400 I'd take a chance, provided the barrel is either CL or Melonited.  Anything above $400, I just can't get interested in.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:17:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't get whether this is an insult or a compliment.  My understanding was that PSA was known for selling very high quality parts that were occasionally put-together/assembled poorly, and take 2-4 weeks to arrive.  As long as you are patient and semi-handy with basic tools, PSA is hands down the best value in the market.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't get whether this is an insult or a compliment.  My understanding was that PSA was known for selling very high quality parts that were occasionally put-together/assembled poorly, and take 2-4 weeks to arrive.  As long as you are patient and semi-handy with basic tools, PSA is hands down the best value in the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I didn't get that comment either. If an insult, it's BS, I have bought a lot of PSA products, and been completely satisfied every time. Glad that PSA chimed in here, and glad to know it's NOT I.O.!

On sale for $500 bucks w/free shipping and I am in for one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Available in under folder, please?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Come on guys, get with the program..

PSA is excellent, I own a PSA frankengun.

I was just taking a jab at AKs jokingly of course.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

With the availability of N-pap underfolders available it doesn't make sense for the small market.  If a bunch of others are doing it already why compete against them?

I think the revolutionary thing would be to bring a triangle side folder (ala SLR-107FR-34) to market for no more than $650.  Any more and why not go Arsenal?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Remember we don't know this.

All we have is your post to go by. Use of smileys will help with understanding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Come on guys, get with the program..

PSA is excellent, I own a PSA frankengun.

I was just taking a jab at AKs jokingly of course.

Remember we don't know this.

All we have is your post to go by. Use of smileys will help with understanding.

But I did use smileys?

Anyways, it's interesting at the least to see them going this route, not very surprised though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

With the availability of N-pap underfolders available it doesn't make sense for the small market.  If a bunch of others are doing it already why compete against them?

I think the revolutionary thing would be to bring a triangle side folder (ala SLR-107FR-34) to market for no more than $650.  Any more and why not go Arsenal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because NPAP under folders are popular (try to find one in stock right now), there aren't a bunch of others doing it already, and maybe PSA would want part of that market share?

ETA: would not be upset to see an inexpensive side folder either though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Because NPAP under folders are popular (try to find one in stock right now), there aren't a bunch of others doing it already, and maybe PSA would want part of that market share?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/zastavanpapdownfoldriflew-2mags762x39sa

It took me four seconds.  Happy to be of service.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS!  No way at that price...not for US stuff, I am not sold on US AK's at all.  I don't "really" mind a good Nodak receiver and US CL barrel, so long as the other parts are combloc.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#41]
If this turns out to be a decent AK, I'd rather have this than a Yugo pattern rifle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

THIS!  No way at that price...not for US stuff, I am not sold on US AK's at all.  I don't "really" mind a good Nodak receiver and US CL barrel, so long as the other parts are combloc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Combloc does not always necessarily mean quality. I see several posts recommending the Npap, but given the recent issues with trigger/hammer pin hole egging due to improper heat treatment, I seriously question recommending the Npap at this time over anything, i'd take a WASR instead for the same price and get a chromelined barrel to boot out of the deal.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Here you go:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here you go:

He's still correct about their availability fluctuating, and his other points are valid. If you want to buy an UF that's not a kit build, your current choices are NPAP @ $600 or SAM7UF @ $1300. I'm a yugo whore so I'd take an NPAP over a PSA UF, but there sure is a giant hole in the market for someone who wants a standard pattern UF that's not $1300.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#44]
To start off I know absolutely zero about AK's, so could someone explain what is so special about one that you have to be from an Eastern European country to build one correctly.

I don't see anything that special about them that an American company couldn't reverse engineer one and make it correctly.
People are awful quick to condem American AK's even before they hit the street and can be tested.

Koz
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

you mind posting some more pics, some specs and confirming a price point?

TRG
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Wow! The PSA AK, interesting enough to have actually lured TRG from the Pit and GD to post here on the darkside. This gets better and better.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wow! The PSA AK, interesting enough to have actually lured TRG from the Pit and GD to post here on the darkside. This gets better and better.....
View Quote

Slummin' ain't easy...

TRG
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:24:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
To start off I know absolutely zero about AK's, so could someone explain what is so special about one that you have to be from an Eastern European country to build one correctly.

I don't see anything that special about them that an American company couldn't reverse engineer one and make it correctly.
People are awful quick to condem American AK's even before they hit the street and can be tested.

Koz
View Quote

A lot of builders that made/make domestic AKs have bad reputations for building the rifles incorrectly, with issues usually stemming from improperly heat treated receivers and poor rivet jobs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Koz
View Quote

1) History. American companies that have been down this road have historically failed miserably. There are a lot of good builders, but so far not many successful manufacturers.

2) Barrels. The AKs coming out of Eastern Europe are manufactured by military arsenals using parts that, by and large, are the same as those used on military rifles. This means, among other things, CHF barrels. To the best of my knowledge, there have never been American-made CHF AK barrels.

3) Institutional knowledge. Europeans have been making them so long that they know what works and what doesn't. If you have a problem with a European AK it's probably because it was poorly assembled, not because the parts are FUBAR.

4) Cache'. It's like buying real AC Cobra vs. a Factory 500.

5) Grudge. Even if an Amercan company knocked it out of the park, people will refuse to acknowledge that because of #1 above.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top