Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Magpul releasing mags and accessories for the AK market is nothing but a good thing.

I'm glad they've stepped in, and they've also listened to us over the magazine reinforcement. I'm looking forward to what they release now and in the future.
View Quote

listened to us about mag reinforcement?

has magpul come out and specifically pointed out which points are reinforced?

from what I remember following development, they were not going to reinforce feed lips... interested to see if they cut any other corners
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
they are working on a 5.45 magazine
Are you sure?
View Quote

Yes the same guy who posted the magpie announcement in the AK Products section was taking questions over at AKFiles, and he said the mag was slated for later in 2015
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well Finslayer83 might get to relax on the dying projects...

Magpul, where's the bakelite or iodine orange?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/547/1lye.jpg
View Quote

Never!!!

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Needs yugo!
View Quote
Yes please!  

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

and they've also listened to us over the magazine reinforcement.
View Quote

Really? I don't seem to recall them soliciting our opinions about anything, can you point to a post someplace where they have done so?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

from what I remember following development, they were not going to reinforce feed lips... interested to see if they cut any other corners
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magpul releasing mags and accessories for the AK market is nothing but a good thing.

I'm glad they've stepped in, and they've also listened to us over the magazine reinforcement. I'm looking forward to what they release now and in the future.

Cut corners? Anything is an improvement over the Gen. 1 AK mag. I guess we'll have to see, but at least they're now steel reinforced.

They've received plenty of feedback on the weaknesses of the Gen. 1 AK mag. I can't imagine them ignoring that and reinforcing unnecessary places.

Some of you guys are like cultish troglodytes that can't move away from their wood and steel, and complain about every advance in material technology.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Some of you guys are like cultish troglodytes that can't move away from their wood and steel, and complain about every advance in material technology.
View Quote

Here's your " advance in material technology":

Color me old-school, but I choose to buy products that were made before planned obsolescence creeped into every area of manufacture, stuff that actually lasts and doesn't break the first time it gets dropped.

If magpul actually "listened" to us, they wouldn't have made the gen 1 AK pmag in the first place.

It seems to me that the "they're only AK's, whatever we make is good enough for 'em" mentality that has infected some AR equipment manufacturers that have decided to make AK parts, was at work. And was validated by hundreds of fanboy herds who bought the mags anyway without waiting for some extended testing of the product just because it said Magpul on it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:44:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Color me old-school, but I choose to buy products that were made before planned obsolescence creeped into every area of manufacture, stuff that actually lasts and doesn't break the first time it gets dropped.
View Quote

Planned obsolescence was a thing in the 1950s... You're old!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:47:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/0fmFtW1.jpg?1

If magpul actually "listened" to us, they wouldn't have made the gen 1 AK pmag in the first place.

It seems to me that the "they're only AK's, whatever we make is good enough for 'em" mentality that has infected some AR equipment manufacturers that have decided to make AK parts, was at work. And was validated by hundreds of fanboy herds who bought the mags anyway without waiting for some extended testing of the product just because it said Magpul on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/0fmFtW1.jpg?1

Just drink the cool aid please
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:04:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Cut corners? Anything is an improvement over the Gen. 1 AK mag. I guess we'll have to see, but at least they're now steel reinforced.

They've received plenty of feedback on the weaknesses of the Gen. 1 AK mag. I can't imagine them ignoring that and reinforcing unnecessary places.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But if the "advance in material technology" had been so good then we would not see that "Anything is an improvement over the Gen. 1 AK mag" and they would not have seen that "at least they're now steel reinforced" which is one of those materials people "can't move away from".

Maybe what you meant to say was that Magpul made a crappy first generation product because "advance(s) in material technology" do not always actually result in as good or better products than what they are replacing and people got suckered.

Edit: Typo
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
But if the "advance in material technology" had been so good then we would not see that "Anything is an improvement over the Gen. 1 AK mag" and they would not have seen that "at least they're now steel reinforced" which is one of those materials people "can't move away from".

Maybe what you meant to say was that Magpul made a crappy first generation product because "advance(s) in material technology" do not always actually result in as good or better products than what they are replacing and people got suckered.

Edit: Typo
View Quote

My last sentence wasn't directed solely at Magpul's magazine. We always go through the hubbub of individuals knocking new products and innovation. Yeah, Magpul screwed up with the Gen. 1 mag. They probably looked at their spec sheets rather than physical testing, but in less than a year they're releasing a reinforced version. That's positive.

As far as advances in material technology, using polymer is already an improvement over metal in terms of weight and corrosion resistance. A little more work and Magpul will most likely have a good magazine.

Will you guys just give it a rest? Companies have released less than stellar products into the marketplace, and this is Magpul's first foray into the Kalashnikov line of rifles. The fact that they're now actively involved in the marketplace of goods and accessories is nothing but a good thing. Nobody is forcing you or anyone else to purchase their products.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm worried on their best handguard you have to cut the sling loop? If that's true it seems like a horrible idea.. Now every used wasr will have no front sling loop and in 10 years Romanian handguard retainers will be $300.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As far as advances in material technology, using polymer is already an improvement over metal in terms of weight and corrosion resistance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As far as advances in material technology, using polymer is already an improvement over metal in terms of weight and corrosion resistance.

But not in things like ability to be hardened, strength, or abrasion resistance/wear resistance and corrosion resistance is not exactly accurate either as we lot's of steel alloys that are extremely corrosion resistant, they may not be used in firearms currently but that doesn't not mean that steel can not be extremely corrosion resistant. You think steel sucks, we get it, but polymer's aren't the god send you think they are either.

Quoted: Will you guys just give it a rest?

Sure, right after you give expressing your opinion a rest. Trying to bully people into "giving it a rest" is not exactly how a "conversation" or a "debate" works especially if one has a leg to stand on.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Get a clue, magpul does not develop polymers, they source them from chemical companies who are the ones that get credit for "advances in material technology". The cool aid stupidity here is off the charts, especially when tests show repeatedly that other manufacturer's mags (even Tapco) are more impact resistant and durable. People here act like Magpul is the DOW of gun gear who hold some magical advantage over all else when it comes to polymers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#16]
God damn, it's about time an American company with a great reputation for magazines is going to make AKs mags with steel lugs. That's the only reason I don't buy plastic mags, because until now, all plastic mags unless they were combloc weren't reinforced with steel.

Hallelujah!
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Will you guys just give it a rest? Nobody is forcing you or anyone else to purchase their products.
View Quote

Why give it a rest? Isn't that the point of having a technical forum? So end-users can discuss the products and any problems, issues, design flaws etc.?

Nobody is forcing you or anyone else to read replies they don't like.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:36:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:02:49 AM EDT
[#20]
And there you have it!  
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:36:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:53:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:27:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Magpul:

If the MOE handguards going to be available in Stealth grey? I'm updating an old Romy G build I did years ago and bought a stealth grey grip for it, would love a matching handguard!
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Why give it a rest? Isn't that the point of having a technical forum? So end-users can discuss the products and any problems, issues, design flaws etc.?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will you guys just give it a rest? Nobody is forcing you or anyone else to purchase their products.

Dragynn's point is well taken. It's part of the feedback process. Hell it's part of the R & D sans conpensation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
On the GEN M3, I've stated it elsewhere, but there is a solid steel rear locking tab, and a thick, hardened, stamped steel front trunnion engagement that runs down the front of the magazine spine. We've tested reinforced feed lips and tested without, benchmark being the bulgy. The two weak points of the Bulgy mag are the feed lip reinforcements...they bend and cause stoppages...and the bottom of the mag, which is also reinforced, and tends to crush in a way that can make the follower get locked in place. We've had better reliability and durability results with  unreinforced feed lips. If we had better results  with reinforced, we'd be making them that way.
View Quote

interesting, I have never heard of ((10)) mags having any issues with feed lips, never heard of bending

I would have preferred you reinforced your offering in all areas

hopefully you come out with a revision in the future
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I see a trend where folks want to focus on the things  guy with a camera, one mag, and a box of rounds can do in the backyard, regardless of the effect of importance on what the mag is supposed to actually do. As Richard stated, and as I've stated elsewhere, the MOE mag is designed to be above all else, reliable. To do that, our material is resilient, but slightly more rigid than some others. Why? Softer polymer "gives" more and the back tab can flex, plus the body absorbs shock. So, you get a ductile magazine that handles the backyard drop rest fairly well. What you can also get is unstable feed lip geometry, easy grit embedding, poor durability over high round counts, poor front spine strength, and poor pullout strength of the tab-when it's more push than smack. its hard to test true reliability...and expensive, but without high round count comparisons, you have no real significance to blessing off a mag as "reliable".  That is, however, where all of our magazines excel, and they maintain that reliability over round counts that leave other poly mags chewed up and worn out. The MOE magazine was never meant to be a military grade solution....but a durable (for all poly) and above all, reliable AK magazine that would last for thousands and thousands of rounds, and would have handling characteristics the same as the GEN M3 AK mag. It's more durable than other mags in many metrics, but to get the reliability we wanted, it had to be more rigid. Now, we've beaten the tar out of these things in testing and practical usage, and I'm not sure what folks are doing that say they are having issues, but I'd love to know. We have a great return/replacement policy, and folks generally take advantage of that as appropriate. Truth is, we sell a lot of MOE AK mags and have an extremely low number of warranty issues.

On the GEN M3, I've stated it elsewhere, but there is a solid steel rear locking tab, and a thick, hardened, stamped steel front trunnion engagement that runs down the front of the magazine spine. We've tested reinforced feed lips and tested without, benchmark being the bulgy. The two weak points of the Bulgy mag are the feed lip reinforcements...they bend and cause stoppages...and the bottom of the mag, which is also reinforced, and tends to crush in a way that can make the follower get locked in place. We've had better reliability and durability results with  unreinforced feed lips. If we had better results  with reinforced, we'd be making them that way.
View Quote

Great info on this! Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#28]
It's good to see Magpul fully committing to offering AK accessories, to include furniture and military-grade magazines.
On a 74, I'm currently running a Vltor AK stock adapter with Magpul CTR stock and like it, but would definitely consider Magpul's new side-folding AK stock,
The handguards look nice, but like another stated above, I'm not yet sold on parting with the factory black poly handguards.

Hopefully, Magpul will eventually offer variants of Krinkov handguards. I'd really like to see a handguard that (1) fills in the Gap, and (2) has enough length on the bottom to accommodate a Magpul AFG or AGF2.
Magpul..........Are you listening?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#29]
forget "no-mod/easy install" on the Vepr (at least an 7.62x39 cal.) as I just went through the "will it fit?" for mine with the Troy aluminum BattleRail.
MagPul's description states 16+ to18.5mm barrel diameter behind the handguard retainer area. The 7.62x39 Vepr's barrel measures in the area of 20.4mm in that specific spot. I'd like to look at one though to see if  anything Vepr custom-made mounting points would allow it's usage.
The description also mentions that removal of the original handguard retainer is required so that makes it a no-go for my standard 47 or 74 as I'm not interested in cutting off the Kalishnikov part just to learn whether or not I really like the Magpul Zhukov design, and then have to pull the barrel to fit a replacement original retainer to put my stock hand guards back on.
I REALLY liked the Troy design, but there was simply NOTHING that I could do to use it on my Vepr.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#30]
like it. now, hope they make some 20rnder tanker mags...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#31]
<removed> this is not GD. dryflash3
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#32]
AK mag close up.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View Quote

AK/AR enthusiasts have been pressing Magpul for AK mags for quite awhile and they responded with not one but two different variations depending on the shooters needs and budget.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#34]
That folder is HOT!  The handguards are growing on me...I like the more traditional lines but I can't deny the functionality.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#35]

I would really love to see this extended handguard on a CR with an integrated front sight gas block.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I agree with the positive comments made here.  We should celebrate the fact that major accessory manufacturers are getting more into the AK platform.  Be thankful for that and if you don't like specific offerings, don't buy them.
Viva, Magpul!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I would really love to see this extended handguard on a CR with an integrated front sight gas block.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It appears the extended handguard goes an inch or so passed the gas block.  I wonder how well the polymer will hold up being that close to the muzzle blast
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#38]
What does the storage compartment in the fixed AK stock look like?  Will it be available in OD green?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What does the storage compartment in the fixed AK stock look like?  Will it be available in OD green?
View Quote

Website says it's coming in all the colors
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#40]

WOW.  I might have to get rid of the stock I already have and go with one of these.

Dear MAGPUL, I am open to product testing the stock.

B62stew
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 2:53:09 PM EDT
[#41]

Damn, starting to warm up to that stock, didn't know it had storage area.

Anybody got an idea of price point?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

$60 fo fixed, $100 for the folder.

-REadMenace
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

-REadMenace
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-REadMenace

Roger that, thanks!

I may have to try that fixed stock, pretty happy with the set-up on my current AK's.....probably better buy another one to use it on.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Will the handguards be compatible with the Saiga 308?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
MagPul's description states 16+ to18.5mm barrel diameter behind the handguard retainer area.  

My understanding is the Saiga 308 is .712 (~18mm) at the gas block.  I'm not sure where unknwn saw that number, but if he's correct, the Zhukov hand guard should fit.

-REadMenace
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:10:32 AM EDT
[#46]
I wonder how well the longer handguards will look on an AMD65
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:26:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Im curious to see how the folding stock with look with standard ak hand guards.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 2:44:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The circle 10 is a very good magazine, don't get me wrong. If they were $20 or less, the dynamics of the AK mag market would be different. Steel AK mags do bend, and are susceptible to side impacts especially. The circle 10 inserts bend at a certain point, like any metal feed lip, and although it doesn't break, it introduces changed feeding geometry and stoppages, in our testing. We want to bring you the best magazines possible, and to do that reliability is always #1.

On the MOE HG, you wil SE BLK, FDE a, ODG, GRY,
And Plum.
View Quote

Are the locking points on the Zhukov stock metal, aluminum, or polymer?
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

interesting, I have never heard of ((10)) mags having any issues with feed lips, never heard of bending

View Quote

Share with us the testing you did.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:49:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love how some of you expect a major corporation to "prove" stuff to you. If you question the reliability of the mag or their statements don't buy from them.
Page / 4
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top