Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2014 8:15:27 PM EDT
So ya I will listen to you guys from now on. Put the buffer in, instant double feed. <****this is not GD, clean language in this tech forum> dryflash3  that shit. Ran 2 7n6 cans with no buffer, the peening stopped about half ways through. This rifle is awesome. Question on cleaning the corrosiveness. So I completely disassembled ak then put all small parts in hot soapy water and poured boiling water down barrel and gas block. Do I have to water down the springs too in the magazine or are they ok as is? I did take them apart and spray the shit out of them with rem oil. Thanks a lot for your help everybody. Buffers are gay.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
No, the mag is OK left alone.....don't feel bad about the buffer thing, I have shot AK's since the late 1980's and I can't convince my buddy to take his out of his '74.....some guys just won't listen...you did.

The beauty of the AK is it doesn't "need" any aftermarket do dads, its damn near perfect as it is....if the AK needed a buffer Mikhail Kalashnikov would have used one.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Its weird but I swear the damn buffer makes for more recoil; bouncing the bolt carrier off of the buffer and slamming shut faster than it should. The carrier does make contact but I notice it slowing down, must be from gas block build up but instead of destroying the masking tape on the trunnion in 1 shot it takes about 3 or 4. So I am very happy. Shot over 2000 rounds today so it was a good day, also ordered 2 more 7n6 cans off of sgammo.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, the mag is OK left alone.....don't feel bad about the buffer thing, I have shot AK's since the late 1980's and I can't convince my buddy to take his out of his '74.....some guys just won't listen...you did.

The beauty of the AK is it doesn't "need" any aftermarket do dads, its damn near perfect as it is....if the AK needed a buffer Mikhail Kalashnikov would have used one.
View Quote
Well maybe your friend's AK runs fine with the buffer like all mine do. And using that logic, AR's shouldn't have quad rails, or EOTech's because Eugene Stoner didn't design them that way. Heck, for that matter, when portable cell phones were invented, they didn't text. So why should the new ones text? The point is as time goes by, upgrades for things get invented. By the way, my Russian made Saiga .308 did come with a factory buffer. GARY
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well maybe your friend's AK runs fine with the buffer like all mine do. And using that logic, AR's shouldn't have quad rails, or EOTech's because Eugene Stoner didn't design them that way. Heck, for that matter, when portable cell phones were invented, they didn't text. So why should the new ones text? The point is as time goes by, upgrades for things get invented. By the way, my Russian made Saiga .308 did come with a factory buffer. GARY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The difference is that rails and EOTech's serve a purpose. What purpose does the buffer serve other than to give you a false peace of mind? If a buffer was considered an "upgrade" as you say, they'd be included in all Kalashnikov rifles.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet he has a buffer...

Eotechs, and rails make you a more proficient war machine. How does a buffer do that?
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bet he has a buffer...

Eotechs, and rails make you a more proficient war machine. How does a buffer do that?
View Quote

Well he says he does in his response, but yes, he's a big proponent of buffers. Which is fine if it works for him; not my rifle.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Ya well I kind of like the idea about it helping with the battering, but at the same it <****this is not GD, clean language in this tech forum> dryflash3 up the entire harmonics of the action if you know what I mean (harmonics not such a good word, huh)

After shooting without the dust cover today quite a bit I notice without the buffer, it bottoms out on the trunnion and that stops its rear ward foce, then returning to battery, BUT with a buffer it slams the buffer pad and that rubbery thing sends the bolt carrier flying forward and that is how my malfunction went down today.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What purpose does the buffer serve other than to give you a false peace of mind?
View Quote

I like this false peace of mind and run Buffer Tech buffers in my AKs.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:58:45 PM EDT
[#9]
double tap
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:35:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Double taps are not very efficient.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Double taps are not very efficient.
View Quote

Maybe check yourself at the door, man.

Not even a day ago, you were freaking out about your rifle, and it turns out that many of us were right. That doesn't give you the authority to bash people who have a different opinion than you. Remember where you came from.

I'm glad you see the light with not worrying about the peening, now let's play nice.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:44:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh I didnt mean to offend anyone. Double taps not efficient meaning multiple rounds on target? I do not understand how that is bad language. And I sure wasnt meaning to bash anyone. I didnt know stating my opinion on the act of firing 2 shots back to back was offensive. Always thought they taught 4 or 5 rounds on a target to make sure the threat is stopped. This is what I meant..please explain the offensivness and i dont mean that in a smartass way at all.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh I didnt mean to offend anyone. Double taps not efficient meaning multiple rounds on target? I do not understand how that is bad language. And I sure wasnt meaning to bash anyone. I didnt know stating my opinion on the act of firing 2 shots back to back was offensive. Always thought they taught 4 or 5 rounds on a target to make sure the threat is stopped. This is what I meant..please explain the offensivness and i dont mean that in a smartass way at all.
View Quote

Oh okay. Misunderstanding. Carry on.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:24:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 4:13:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Ok I apologize. I will clean it up.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#17]
So heres another pic of my trunnion after 500 more rounds today. Total round count around 2600 as of today. It does seem to be slowing down at this point (the peening). These rifles are tough, for the bolt carrier to be slamming the rear trunnion constantly and it still holds up that amazing. I dont know why some people are under the impression that they are not supposed to do this. It makes sense.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So heres another pic of my trunnion after 500 more rounds today. Total round count around 2600 as of today. It does seem to be slowing down at this point (the peening). These rifles are tough, for the bolt carrier to be slamming the rear trunnion constantly and it still holds up that amazing. I dont know why some people are under the impression that they are not supposed to do this. It makes sense.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f245/spetnazsoldier/IMG_20141116_152038893_zps0897296c.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f245/spetnazsoldier/IMG_20141116_152038893_zps0897296c.jpg

You mean like you were two days ago?

Quoted:

Maybe check yourself at the door, man.

Not even a day ago, you were freaking out about your rifle, and it turns out that many of us were right. That doesn't give you the authority to bash people who have a different opinion than you. Remember where you came from.

I'm glad you see the light with not worrying about the peening, now let's play nice.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, you're losing credibility fast with your circular logic.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I was just showing you guys my trunnion. I thought everybody wanted to see my trunnion I was commenting on the strength of the weapon, an ar wouldnt be able to handle this kind of beating.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was just showing you guys my trunnion. I thought everybody wanted to see my trunnion I was commenting on the strength of the weapon, an ar wouldnt be able to handle this kind of beating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You started four threads about why something was wrong with your rifle, then you posted this.

Quoted:
. I dont know why some people are under the impression that they are not supposed to do this. It makes sense.

We don't mind helping you out and we always enjoy adding people to our hobby but you are trying too hard.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
That last statement doesn't even make sense.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#24]
How does it not make sense. If an aluminum receiver had to go through what an ak does to cycle it would explode. Darn bolt carrier hits rear trunnion pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Overgassed nature = enhanced reliability.

Maybe it was intentional - maybe it wasn't, but beat up trunions are part of it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Ya I get that now. Im stoked I just scored another Saiga in 7.62x39. Brand new unconverted.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I wonder if a buffer will work in my full auto AKMSU? If so, it could bump up the rate of fire. Not that I need that, but it could be fun...if it functions.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ya I get that now. Im stoked I just scored another Saiga in 7.62x39. Brand new unconverted.
View Quote

If its new in box I'd leave it that way. We never got Chinese guns back, we may or may not get the Russian ones back either.

20 years it might be worth a bit.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If its new in box I'd leave it that way. We never got Chinese guns back, we may or may not get the Russian ones back either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true, but #1 there are WAY more Russian Saigas in the country than Chinese AKs, and #2 it has to follow one more ban then the Chinese guns do; 922r, so it's not as desirable.

Convert it, and shoot the hell out of it dude.  it's not going to become a $20,000 gun for a VERY long time.  Plenty of time for you to buy plenty more :)
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

How does it not make sense. If an aluminum receiver had to go through what an ak does to cycle it would explode. Darn bolt carrier hits rear trunnion pretty good.
View Quote
They are totally different designs. There is no rearward impact, which allows a lighter metal used in the receiver. Mechanically, they are extremely different, which is why they are able to be made from different metals.

It's like saying your chainsaw would never hold up to the beating your axe can take.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#31]
HAHA that was a good comparison. My axe..HAHAHA
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Here, OP. I just got out to shoot a couple hundred rounds out of my brand new Arsenal SLR 104-31 yesterday.

Totally normal.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Buffers as I understand them are more about longevity of the rails than anything happening at the rear trunion.

The only way a Kalashnikov can wear out is at the back end of the top rails.  There's always upward pressure from the cocked hammer on the bolt carrier there.  If the back of those rails thin and wear down, the bolt carrier could slip upward off the rails.  This has been observed on some full autos.  With the cost of a transferable registered receiver AK, everything you can to to preserve it is worth it.   A buffer does slightly limit the travel to keep it away from this area.

If you like the way the gun shoots with it in there, go for it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they never come back he could likely shoot it for 20 years and still get his money back out of it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
 There's always upward pressure from the cocked hammer on the bolt carrier there.
View Quote

Try holding the trigger back so the disconnector holds the hammer, as it does when you fire the rifle. You will be surprised at the amount of upward pressure. It isn't enough to wear out the rails.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top