Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2014 2:11:20 PM EDT
I've been keeping my eye out for an AK for a while now and just hadn't come across the right deal. One of my buddies who I've done some trades with before was hurting for cash and needed to sell a few things. He had an AK I've been interested in for a while, its supposedly an East German parts kit on an Elk River receiver. I'm far from an expert but the little bit I've heard about Elk River is that their good to go. I'm not completely sure it is was built from a complete kit or is a mismatch, but either way its in pretty good shape. I ended up only giving him $200 and a custom knife worth maybe $100-$150. I was happy with the deal. I figured you guys may be able to shed some more light on what exactly I have and how I did? Thanks

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Price sounds good.

Post some up close pictures of the gas block
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The trunnion is from a Romanian rifle made for the civil guard in 1986. Any numbered parts which matches the serial number on the trunnion (or the last four digits of that number) are originally from the same rifle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
EG handguards and pistol grip. Romanian trunion as stated above and a Romanian pushbutton folding stock.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The trunnion is from a Romanian rifle made for the civil guard in 1986. Any numbered parts which matches the serial number on the trunnion (or the last four digits of that number) are originally from the same rifle.
View Quote

I had a feeling it was probably a mismatch. I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet. When I get home tonight, I'm gonna strip it down, clean it and see what else I can find and I'll post up some more detailed pics.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not an intentional mismatch of parts. Folks have been buying Romanian guns and putting East German furniture for years. For the "Look". Since trying to get the real deal as a reasonable price was very difficult. Elk River just answered the market demand. In my opinion you made out like a bandit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#6]
That looks like my first one. Start shooting it. That's the only way to judge a rifle properly.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]
What's important here is who assembled the rifle? Elk River built rifles on their receivers, but also sold receivers to anyone who wanted one. So did Elk River build the gun, or did Bubba buy some receivers, & assemble guns in the garage? Many people used E. German furniture as it was dirt cheap at the time. You might have a #'s matching Romy kit built by a quality builder on that receiver, or a total mutt with no matching numbers built by Bubba fueled by beer. However, a "legit" builder will have his name engraved on the receiver somewhere.  GARY
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#8]
For that price, if it's straight and goes BANG every time you pull the trigger, you've already won the battle.  Nice buy.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Good looking rifle, and great price, I think you did great, congrats and welcome to the darkside!
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the feedback guys. After taking it apart this evening I learned a few things. It looks like the bolt carrier matches the trunion, but I could find anything else that matched. It has a Tapco trigger group, piston and the upper hanguard/piston tube looks like a reproduction US part. I'm guessing these are the components that make it 922r compliant? The pics below are anything else that had markings or seemed important. Any idea what the source of the barrel may be, part of the kit or a US made one?

Link Posted: 11/14/2014 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It has a Tapco trigger group, piston and the upper hanguard/piston tube looks like a reproduction US part. I'm guessing these are the components that make it 922r compliant?
View Quote

The piston tube is not a listed part so its origin doesn't matter.

ETA: The receiver is one of the compliance parts.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It has a Tapco trigger group, piston and the upper hanguard/piston tube looks like a reproduction US part. I'm guessing these are the components that make it 922r compliant?

Ok cool. I really haven't dealt with any guns that needed to be 922r compliant so I'm not too familiar with it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:14:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice score.

Like stated above its Romanian kit.Barrel is Romanian which is a plus.

Commie barrels is best barrels

Congrats on a heck of a deal and enjoy
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:17:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice gun...Did you at least kiss him first, cuz he spread WIDE OPEN for you!! lol

Wish one of my buddies would hurry up and hit some rough times!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#16]
$350. Great deal these days.

I don't like the wire stock, but I'd have taken that deal anytime.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Solid barrel you have.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:59:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#19]
There is an East German brown stock that matches that furniture, I put one on my Tantal instead of the folder as it is much more comfortable.  I would think you would be able to change it out also if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm glad to know I did well on this rifle, so far I'm thrilled with it. I picked up a couple AK PMAGS to try, along with a Magpul grip. Also threw on a matched set of Romanian hand guards another buddy had lying around just to make it look a little better. I cant wait to get it to the range and shoot the heck out of it, I forgot to mention I also got about 400 rounds of surplus 7.62x39 with this rifle as well . Heres an updated pic...

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm glad to know I did well on this rifle, so far I'm thrilled with it. I picked up a couple AK PMAGS to try, along with a Magpul grip. Also threw on a matched set of Romanian hand guards another buddy had lying around just to make it look a little better. I cant wait to get it to the range and shoot the heck out of it, I forgot to mention I also got about 400 rounds of surplus 7.62x39 with this rifle as well . Heres an updated pic...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/NitroDemon18/AK13.png
View Quote

No!

You should feel bad, AR Guy. Surplus mags & put the german grip back on, period. I pity you!

Your gun, your rules.

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No!

You should feel bad, AR Guy. Surplus mags & put the german grip back on, period. I pity you!

Your gun, your rules.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/NitroDemon18/AK13.png

No!

Your gun, your rules.

Haha, figured I'd catch some heat from the purists for that. I'm not a purist, but I'm far from a tacti-cool ninja. I can appreciate everything and everything has it's place...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top