Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 8:53:44 PM EDT
so just like a ton of people posting on this thread im completely new to AKs and not afraid to admit it. I've been using my RRA reece build to do everything from paper punching to varmint hunting. however now im looking for an all purpose beater/truck gun. im not looking to spend over 700ish and have been looking at 2 models. A century arms C39 with wood furniture or a WASR 10 with wood furniture, the only real change id make is a side folding stock in the future. basically id like to know if there is an advantage to either one and if i will have any problems mounting a new stock.

Edited title to remove all caps part. Please don't do that here. dryflash3
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the WASR. The C39 is a non-standard rifle which means you'll have a more difficult time finding part/accessories, including a folding stock. You will have no such problems with the WASR.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get the WASR. The C39 is a non-standard rifle which means you'll have a more difficult time finding part/accessories, including a folding stock. You will have no such problems with the WASR.
View Quote

Are new WASRs better than they used to be? I had one around 5 years ago and it was pretty shoddy, and everyone had a bad opinion of them.

I've been out of the gun game awhile, if they have improved that'd be nice since they are reasonably priced while Arsenals have doubled in price since I last had one
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
From all reports they're MUCH nicer than they used to be.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Im in the same boat, decided to get an Arsenal SLR107.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
You were able to score an SLR107 for $700ish? Care to share where you scored that? I'd love to buy one at that price...

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#7]

I still wish that extensive and useful thread was a sticky post on the top of the AK Discussions forum, and not buried in the "Important Threads!" section that few people seem to read.

"What AK should I buy?" is probably the most frequently asked question here.  By far.  Seems to me that thread would be worth the front page real estate.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I was thinking the same thing, a basic guide that says which brands are good for what would really help. Ik everyone asks which brand to buy like I did but combing through pages of forums doesn't always work out. Maybe put a word into some moderators and team members
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Considering the AK Buyer's Guide hasn't been updated in a while, it is full of outdated info.

Zastava NPAP/OPAP or a WASR at that price. Or wait for the V2 of the C93 and RAS47 by Century.

The nicer guns are out of your budget of $700.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't exactly need a nicer gun either, I'm more than likely to just throw the rifle behind the seat of my truck or over the shoulder on backpacking trips. I did see the buyers guide but it seemed more like a Wikipedia page on different AK variants. Unfortunaltly I passed up a great deal on an arsenal side folder in 5.56 for 600 at the local gunshop that ordered way to many in the post sandy hook frenzy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't exactly need a nicer gun either, I'm more than likely to just throw the rifle behind the seat of my truck or over the shoulder on backpacking trips. I did see the buyers guide but it seemed more like a Wikipedia page on different AK variants. Unfortunaltly I passed up a great deal on an arsenal side folder in 5.56 for 600 at the local gunshop that ordered way to many in the post sandy hook frenzy.
View Quote

You don't necessarily want a 5.56 AK, because the mags are either expensive (like the circle 10s for the arsenal guns) or expensive and hard to find (Yugo, chinese, finnish AKs, etc.)

If you want a truck gun, a WASR or Yugo is the way to go; if you want something even better, get a Yugo AK pistol and add an SB47 brace and you'll have the best thing next to an SBR for a truck/backpack gun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:14:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Npap pistol with sb47 brace should be right around 700.  I have a Draco with sb47 brace that is quickly becoming a favorite.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:01:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You were able to score an SLR107 for $700ish? Care to share where you scored that? I'd love to buy one at that price...  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's how much mine cost me. I scored it at 2007.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the same boat as far as new to AKs. Decided to play it safe and get an Arsenal for $1000. Call it $400 or so in insurance.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:35:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Get the WASR, don't feel the need to spend more for "insurance".  Have owned several.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Its hard to beat the SLR series IF you want a gun that has a folding stock.

Its hard to beat the WASR if you only want a fixed stock.

However if you subscribe to the 2 is 1 theory..  

One WASR and one SLR is a pretty good mix.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#17]
You can throw a real (not aftermarket tapco junk) side folder on the WASR in 60 seconds. East German or Romanian side folding stocks are easy to find.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top