Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 12:01:04 AM EDT
Been tossing around the idea of getting one of these. I already own an Arsenal 107F and a Romy G... I've been wanting to get a plain AKM with no frills but obviously want the function and reliability of a good rifle. I know these rifles do not have chrome lining which to me isnt a huge deal but what about some cons? I have seen these drying up and only found one website that has them in stock. That being said $550 doesn't seem so bad for an impluse buy. I'm more or less worried about the CENTURY quality more than anything, should I save my money? Need some good input and first hand experience thanks in advance

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one of those back in 2008.  It worked and shot fine.  Mismatched part numbers, US n0n- chromed barrel.   I'd go with a WASR before the GP75.  What have you done to your Romy G that it's not a plain AKM?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd pass on the GP75 and go with a WASR.  I bought a 1975 on a whim from J&G at a gun show last December.  Had extraction and ejection issues.  Sold it, and havent looked back.  At least with the WASR you know you're getting an actual Romanian rifle, not a pile of Romy parts put together by Century.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
A WASR is a pile of mixed Romanian parts, none of those parts are numbers matching and it is put together by Century.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#4]
A WASR is built in Romania by Cugir with a Romanian receiver and Romanian Barrel.  The WASRs from years back, were absolute shit.  The WASRs you get new nowadays are new parts buillt in a military factory.  It is only imported by Century.  FCG is pulled out and replaced with a G2, the piston, muzzle device, and pistol grip are replaced with american parts.  Magwell opened up to accept double stack mags.  At its heart, and the parts that matter, it is a true combloc rifle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A WASR is a pile of mixed Romanian parts, none of those parts are numbers matching and it is put together by Century.
View Quote

Not correct.  WASRs are fully built in Romania.  Some rifles were partially mismatched numbers. Many were fully matching.  Century had nothing to do with building them other than adding a few parts to make them 922 compliant and opening up the mag well. Current ones are new parts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're completely wrong. WASRs are only imported by Century.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Well the Romy G kit was built into a "khyber pass" style, I was wanting a just a plain wood stocked ak... I've owned a wasr before and I know people say the quality is better now than before but the one I owned gave me nothing but problems. I guess I will just wait for a decent polish and spend a couple hundred extra bucks to not deal with the headache. Thanks for the input
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I picked up a wasr last year for my first ak. It's a great blaster. I sanded the wood, put a coat or two of tung oil on it, and put an rpk windage adjustable rear sight on it. It's great fun, especially for the money. Century's all US mad ak looks like it has a lot of potential too. Truthfully, I have two centurys the other is an M1 garand that has been great also. I read mixed reviews of their stuff but have had nothing but luck in my small sample size.  If you check it out before you buy you'll probably be more than pleased.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:22:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had zero problems with my GP1975. But this is obviously one persons experience. No failures to feed/extract. Everything was straight. The wood was nice. Consistent finish. Shot tight groups right out of box. Didn't have to make any mods or polish anything. Action was very smooth and no hang ups. Mine came with a double hook trigger (not sure if that is standard with the 1975's). Trigger pull and reset was also surprisingly good. Maybe I got lucky and got a decent one or maybe the QC has actually improved. Don't know...
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've had zero problems with my GP1975. But this is obviously one persons experience. No failures to feed/extract. Everything was straight. The wood was nice. Consistent finish. Shot tight groups right out of box. Didn't have to make any mods or polish anything. Action was very smooth and no hang ups. Mine came with a double hook trigger (not sure if that is standard with the 1975's). Trigger pull and reset was also surprisingly good. Maybe I got lucky and got a decent one or maybe the QC has actually improved. Don't know...
View Quote

Glad yours has served you well.  Mine had a single hook trigger but the cut for the hook in the receiver was too long and there was an absurd amount of overtravel.  Ended up buying a double hook trigger and doing some dremel work on the second hook to get it to fit and act as a stop.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I stand corrected. I have some more reading up to do on wasrs.......
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:24:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well the Romy G kit was built into a "khyber pass" style, I was wanting a just a plain wood stocked ak... I've owned a wasr before and I know people say the quality is better now than before but the one I owned gave me nothing but problems. I guess I will just wait for a decent polish and spend a couple hundred extra bucks to not deal with the headache. Thanks for the input
View Quote

Atlantic has some nice Polish AKs. You could always put on layaway.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:12:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Im waiting on the new c39v2 and ras47 to come out. They look like an all american ak thats gonna work finally
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top