Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2014 9:16:11 PM EDT
Are they on the ban list?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
no clue but I sooooo want  a SAKO
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe they are on the ban list; you may be better off getting a Galil and doing a cosmetic mod, although good luck finding the furniture.

Here are a pair I got to fondle at a local store; the actions are butter, even smoother than a milled AK, even though these are stamped.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe they are on the ban list; you may be better off getting a Galil and doing a cosmetic mod, although good luck finding the furniture.

Here are a pair I got to fondle at a local store; the actions are butter, even smoother than a milled AK, even though these are stamped.

http://i.imgur.com/ynm1Qnx.jpg
View Quote

I just shot a load!

What was the price on those?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, the RK/95 was the most recent and they aren't in even produced anymore (ended sometime around 2000).
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Double
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:18:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Found one in a gun store with the metal tube folding stock,it was nice but not 3000 nice.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The mags are a fortune.  GARY
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I always assumed it was because the Finns valued them more than US Dollars given their history.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#9]
The Valmet was a kick ass AK.  I remember seeing them at Aero Marine in Birmingham in the early 1980's.  Then they was about $800.00. Sierra or Norma  was the only ammo in 7.62 X 39 you could find..  

I wished I'd had the money for one back then.

Some of the early Gallis used SAKO / Valmet receivers.  I don't think any of these were imported into the US.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I have handled and shot many Valmets, including the Hunter variants.

By far my favorite AK-type firearm.

I am a Finn though.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:22:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I just shot a load!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just shot a load!

Don't you mean you just "Finnished?"

No, but seriously, I do not think they are banned at the Federal level. Some states, like Kalifornia, specifically ban  them by name. I think the Finns choose not to import them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, but seriously, I do not think they are banned at the Federal level. Some states, like Kalifornia, specifically ban  them by name. I think the Finns choose not to import them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just shot a load!

They were banned by name in the assault weapons control act of 1989.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The guns are no longer manufactured, Sako is out of business and the tooling and milds were scrapped long ago.

Even the Finns cant get spares for their own guns, they have been using broken guns as hangar queens to kerp the remaining ones serviceable.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
Which is sad. Great rifles .

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The guns are no longer manufactured, Sako is out of business and the tooling and milds were scrapped long ago.

Even the Finns cant get spares for their own guns, they have been using broken guns as hangar queens to kerp the remaining ones serviceable.

View Quote

wow so there is NO chance of even getting them back into production or anything.. fack!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#16]
My question is why no domestic clones have been made (have there been any decent ones I'm not aware of?). Wouldn't be quite as easy as a normal AK to produce, but still not that hard, and the demand is there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just shot a load!

The Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989 was a California-only ban, not a Federal ban.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My question is why no domestic clones have been made (have there been any decent ones I'm not aware of?). Wouldn't be quite as easy as a normal AK to produce, but still not that hard, and the demand is there.
View Quote

The AK has been around in one form or another for 70 years and we're still waiting for domestic AKM clones.....
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote
This isn't the same people ?

http://www.sako.fi/
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
damn thats very sad to hear

I had an m76 TF and wish I had kept it

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#21]
MMMMM.....

I've been thinking about selling, but I don't think I can.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:29:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989 was a California-only ban, not a Federal ban.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just shot a load!

And the assault weapons ban of 1989 was federal.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
<Snip>
And the assault weapons ban of 1989 was federal.
View Quote

Have any links? I'm not doubting you, as I have found many references to them being banned from import in 1989. But those references were all vague. Tried searching without any luck. Have any hard, fast links to help enlighten the masses?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I would love to get one of the models with the tubular sidefolder. I wanted one ever since I watched the movie Survivors.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have both of those. You can't tell from the pics but the wood is like furniture grade. The tube has a thin vinyl coating and is hollow to hold a cleaning kit. Sweet shooters.

I have read that they are or were too $$$$ for even the Finnish military so they bought surplus East German an Chinese AKMs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:16:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Because we suck and the Finns hate us.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:55:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, because even when VALMETs were being imported in the mid-80's - they were too friggin' expensive and didn't sell well. IIRC, they were more money than HKs, Mitchell Yugos, and IMI Galils. I think FN FALs were probably the only guns more expensive at the time.

Shame, as they are the Rolls Royce of AKs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No, because even when VALMETs were being imported in the mid-80's - they were too friggin' expensive and didn't sell well. IIRC, they were more money than HKs, Mitchell Yugos, and IMI Galils. I think FN FALs were probably the only guns more expensive at the time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost Sig Line material there....  

The Valmets are indeed supeer sweet and you could get it in both 7.62x39 & 5.56 too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
IIRC, the RK/95 was the most recent and they aren't in even produced anymore (ended sometime around 2000).
View Quote

Even in Finland the RK95 is super rare.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Humor....you don't get.  Also they were banned by name in 89 except for the Valmet hunter.  I'll check my gun books from 89 and see what retails was.

EDIT>>>The Valmet was cheaper than the HK and the Galil in 89.  I will post some prices tonight.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The AK has been around in one form or another for 70 years and we're still waiting for domestic AKM clones.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't Century make some entirely US guns? Not that I'm thrilled with them making an entire gun...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Made in June, 1987.   Regulated to safe queen status, due to the firing pins being prone to breakage (At least for the .223 rifles).   Wish I got the 7.62x39 variant with tube folder.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Made in June, 1987.   Regulated to safe queen status, due to the firing pins being prone to breakage (At least for the .223 rifles).   Wish I got the 7.62x39 variant with tube folder.  

http://i59.tinypic.com/2i70gly.jpg
View Quote

I probably hate you.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#34]
1989 prices

Valmets            m76-.223            m78-.308

wood stock        $699                  $999
tube forlder         $825
sythetic               $795

IMI Uzi  $699

IMI Galils   $850-$875 in .223

HK91/93
A2  $932
A3  $1098

Milled Poly Tech  $579

These are retails prices in the 1989 edition of the Gun Digest.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#35]
1989 dollar is worth $1.88 today. Therefore, those prices would be:

Valmets m76-.223 m78-.308

wood stock $1314 -  $1878
tube forlder $1551
sythetic $1494

IMI Uzi $1314

IMI Galils $1598-$1645 in .223

HK91/93
A2 $1752
A3 $2064

Milled Poly Tech $1088
------------------------

Really puts things in perspective, eh? State of the art rifles have always been expensive... but those guns above have had a real appreciation of something like 90% over the past 25 years. Incidentally, that's like 2.5% a year... not exactly a huge rate of return on your money. (Albeit any rate of return on consumer goods ain't so bad.)
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
1989 dollar is worth $1.88 today. Therefore, those prices would be:

Valmets m76-.223 m78-.308

wood stock $1314 -  $1878
tube forlder $1551
sythetic $1494

IMI Uzi $1314

IMI Galils $1598-$1645 in .223

HK91/93
A2 $1752
A3 $2064

Milled Poly Tech $1088
------------------------

Really puts things in perspective, eh? State of the art rifles have always been expensive... but those guns above have had a real appreciation of something like 90% over the past 25 years. Incidentally, that's like 2.5% a year... not exactly a huge rate of return on your money. (Albeit any rate of return on consumer goods ain't so bad.)
View Quote

i would be all over a tube folder for $1500

The Colt AR15a2 carbine was $780 or so.  That was the cheapest Colt.  My last 6920 was $899 at the local gun shop.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I would love to get one of the models with the tubular sidefolder. I wanted one ever since I watched the movie Survivors.
<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/CDALY05/media/600px-Survivors-ValmetTreeRobinReacts_zps9b72b457.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/CDALY05/600px-Survivors-ValmetTreeRobinReacts_zps9b72b457.jpg</a>
View Quote

I remember how Jerry Reed shot his Valmet right in the barrel. Robin Williams said something like "You shot my gun, do you know how much this thing cost? This really pisses me off!"
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#38]
There is a nice one on GB right now with original Box etc selling for $1850 buy now price
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top