Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2014 12:08:30 PM EDT
After getting my first AR I am now in the market for an AK. I like how the new Century RAS47 looks but it looks like it won't be out til around Christmas. I also looks like it will cost around $100 more than a WASR. What should I do?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If I personally had never owned an AK and was only going to own one, I'd want a combloc gun.

To answer your question though, you really have to wait until the RAS47 is put through its paces for several months before deciding.

If you can't wait, get the WASR.  It's a known quantity, has a hammer forged, chrome lined barrel, it's cheaper and will run for decades.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The WASRs that have been coming in are impressive. The sights are straight. Body is straight. The finish is done well. If I was in the market for an AK47 it would be the WASR.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a WASR a few weeks ago before Century announced the RAS47. At first I thought "damn it I wish I would have waited". But thinking it over, with a WASR your getting a comm.

bloc AK with a hammer forged/chrome lined barrel from a factory that has been building AKs for a long time. The RAS47 looks like it will be a winner on paper but I'll let others try it out first.

I like the idea of the nitrite treatment on the RAS47 but Tim from Military Arms Channel made an interesting comment on Larry Vickers facebook page. Vickers had a picture of a Yugo AK

(which was actually a Tabuk, but close enough) and asked what the major flaw with the rifle was. Vickers later answered and said the lack of a chrome lined bore. Tim stated "bi-metal

bullets and non-chrome lined barrels (or nitrite treated) are a bad mix" I was under the impression nitrite treatment made the barrel harder than chrome, but honestly I don't know. Also I

personally don't like how the RAS47 isn't cut for a cleaning rod and I would guess doesn't have the stock to put a cleaning kit it, that said the new WASRs don't have a spot for the cleaning

kit either. Its my own weirdness but I like the idea of having a rifle I can grab and have everything I need to service the rifle contained in it except oil or grease and solvent.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I picked up a WASR a few weeks ago before Century announced the RAS47. At first I thought "damn it I wish I would have waited". But thinking it over, with a WASR your getting a comm.

bloc AK with a hammer forged/chrome lined barrel from a factory that has been building AKs for a long time. The RAS47 looks like it will be a winner on paper but I'll let others try it out first.

I like the idea of the nitrite treatment on the RAS47 but Tim from Military Arms Channel made an interesting comment on Larry Vickers facebook page. Vickers had a picture of a Yugo AK

(which was actually a Tabuk, but close enough) and asked what the major flaw with the rifle was. Vickers later answered and said the lack of a chrome lined bore. Tim stated "bi-metal

bullets and non-chrome lined barrels (or nitrite treated) are a bad mix" I was under the impression nitrite treatment made the barrel harder than chrome, but honestly I don't know. Also I

personally don't like how the RAS47 isn't cut for a cleaning rod and I would guess doesn't have the stock to put a cleaning kit it, that said the new WASRs don't have a spot for the cleaning

kit either. Its my own weirdness but I like the idea of having a rifle I can grab and have everything I need to service the rifle contained in it except oil or grease and solvent.
View Quote

buy an ar and save yourself the headache.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#5]
^^^^^^^^^^^

He says in the AK discussions forum click
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The WASRs that have been coming in are impressive. The sights are straight. Body is straight. The finish is done well. If I was in the market for an AK47 it would be the WASR.
View Quote
Would you say that they're as good or better than the old SAR-1?

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have shooting experience with the new WASRs, but I handled one today at Cabella's, and the fit, finish,straight sights, and general appeal of being "nice" are miles ahead of where my  SAR1 and SAR 2. were in 2000.

BUT, the new WASRs are priced about 2.23 times what I paid for the SARs back in the day.

If I were in the market for a low/mid priced AK, I would by a WASR in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:, but I handled one today at Cabella's,
View Quote

I fondled the the same WASR's today at Cabelas.  Kind of creepy in a way.

The finish looks better than my SAR1.  The serial number showed 2013 production.  They had muzzle nuts that were welded to the front sight base.  Is that the new normal?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

bullets and non-chrome lined barrels (or nitrite treated) are a bad mix" I was under the impression nitrite treatment made the barrel harder than chrome, but honestly I don't know..
View Quote

There are a lot of non-chrome lined barrels out there holding up well after thousands of bi-metal rounds. As for nitriding, I'd take a nitrided barrel over a chrome-lined barrel every time.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The finish looks better than my SAR1.  The serial number showed 2013 production.  They had muzzle nuts that were welded to the front sight base.  Is that the new normal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:, but I handled one today at Cabella's,

Historically WASR-10s have the welded muzzle nut and WASR-10/63s had the slant brake and bayonet lug. I have a 2013 produced WASR- 10 with the slant brake and bayonet lug from the factory,  as well as the solid wood stock apposed to the laminate wood. I don't know if they stopped the 10/63 line or just introduced a new line of WASR -10s.

EDIT: The new WASR-10 uses the same part number as the classic WASR-10/63
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I forget that some states get the ban version. In Texas the WASR 10/63 is available with the removable slant muzzle brake. The WASR is better in terms of finish, straight sights and body. The SAR1 is/was closest to the military configuration but again it was neutered to pass regulations. You would have to spend some money to get the SAR 1 to it's original configuration. Just get the WASR 10/63 and call it done.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for your valuable contribution
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:00:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stick to your selfies, Cub!
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:30:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I forget that some states get the ban version. In Texas the WASR 10/63 is available with the removable slant muzzle brake. The WASR is better in terms of finish, straight sights and body. The SAR1 is/was closest to the military configuration but again it was neutered to pass regulations. You would have to spend some money to get the SAR 1 to it's original configuration. Just get the WASR 10/63 and call it done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I already have a couple SAR-1s in my collection and have had them for several years now, I was just curious about how they compared.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:30:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:36:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I already have a couple SAR-1s in my collection and have had them for several years now, I was just curious about how they compared.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, I hold the SAR 1 in high regard. Just hate the fact the ATF didn't allow them to come in their original configuration minus the full auto of course. So the WASR 10/63 fits the bill in terms of being a low priced complete AK47 rifle. The dimple doesn't make a difference to me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:40:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hey, I hold the SAR 1 in high regard. Just hate the fact the ATF didn't allow them to come in their original configuration minus the full auto of course. So the WASR 10/63 fits the bill in terms of being a low priced complete AK47 rifle. The dimple doesn't make a difference to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I ended up buying the SAR-1s because at the time they were about the best Romanian AK you could get and the WASRs at the time were bad.....really bad . But I'm glad to hear that they brought the WASRs up to snuff, there has been a real need for quality at a decent price.

Oh and OP, sorry for the hijack. Personally I would probably hold out for the RAS-47. I looked into it, and the Melonite is a big plus. If funds allow, I see myself buying one in the future.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#19]
This topic is of interest to me as well
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Do the NEWER WASRs have a double hook trigger?  Can someone post pictures of a NEWER WASR-10 ?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do the NEWER WASRs have a double hook trigger?  Can someone post pictures of a NEWER WASR-10 ?  Thanks in advance.
View Quote

My 2013 manufactured WASR has a single hook trigger. The "classic" WASR, the "newer" WASR.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Same with my 2013, it has a single hook trigger.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My 2013 manufactured WASR has a single hook trigger. The "classic" WASR, the "newer" WASR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome, thank you. Where did you buy your 2013 WASR from?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got my WASR from J&G, the "newer" link. J&G screws you out of a mag but when I got mine they were shipping them with a drum mag.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I got my WASR from J&G, the "newer" link. J&G screws you out of a mag but when I got mine they were shipping them with a drum mag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice, no canted sights?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:40:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Front sight was canted some but it still zeroed fine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

That would bug me, LOL!  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That would bug me, LOL!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would bug me, LOL!  

Think of it as looking more "authentic"
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would bug me, LOL!  

LOL!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Anyone know an ETA for when the Ras47 is coming out? I have a nice laminate AKM stock set I haven't been able to bring myself to put on a WASR, and would look good on there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone know an ETA for when the Ras47 is coming out? I have a nice laminate AKM stock set I haven't been able to bring myself to put on a WASR, and would look good on there.
View Quote

In Yeager's video the Century rep said December IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#32]
I would get an RAS47 over a WASR anyday. I'm willing to bet that these new RAS47's are going to be as good as Saigas in 7.62x39
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top