Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2014 9:47:20 AM EDT
I'm shooting the Wolf white box stuff (like this http://www.smokeymountainmunitions.com/Wolf_7_62x39_123gr_fmj_20rd_Box_p/7.62x39123gr20rdwolf.htm?Click=17909 ).

Every 40 or so rounds I seem to get a primer strike that doesn't result in a bang.  Round has a decent looking primer strike.

Put the round back in the gun and try again and it goes just fine.

I've shot this ammo in other AK's (converted Saiga's with Tapco trigger) with no issues.

My SLR has a tapco trigger as well (I couldn't deal with the hard pull of the arsenal trigger).

I have not re-shot the gun after spending a great deal of time cleaning the firing pin and bolt, so I may have fixed the issue.  

If not, what could it be?  The springs are all on right.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#1]
pretty much what you did to the firing pin, or it's just the ammo, that's my opinion anyway.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The SLR series rifles have a spring loaded firing pin. The Saiga has a free floating firing pin. That might be the difference in primer strikes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like ammo if you are getting a good primer strike.  But definitely make sure the firing pin channel is clean.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If this continues should I look to a 10%+ hammer spring, or reduce a coil or two from the firing pin spring?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If this continues should I look to a 10%+ hammer spring, or reduce a coil or two from the firing pin spring?
View Quote

I think it is probably the ammo. I wouldn't change anything unless the same problem appears with other brands of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think it is probably the ammo. I wouldn't change anything unless the same problem appears with other brands of ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my Go To rilfe.  When the SHTF I want it to be able to run any shit I find laying around.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:08:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you should lighten the FP spring. It is quite heavy. Be careful removing the FP as it can fly across the room when you release the spring as its under a lot of tension.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I think KVAR also now sells spare FP springs if you need a spare or if you take too much off the original spring.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#9]
So after a big cleaning job and stuffs, this weekend I still get a FTF.  Again, just 1 in 50.

So I think I am going to try a wolf + hammer spring first, worst case scenario, I end up with a spare.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:53:03 AM EDT
[#10]
When I was hardcore into the AK74s that would happen with the Russian military surplus until the rifle was broken in. Which might be 5 to 6 hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Try different ammo.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Try different ammo.
View Quote

Ok, I've got 3k of this ammo.  So if I try different ammo, then what?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try different ammo.

Sell it and buy the ammo that DOES work?

Lotta hand-holding seems to be expected here.  You ARE an adult yes?  You're making things far more difficult than they need be.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Lotta hand-holding seems to be expected here.  You ARE an adult yes?  You're making things far more difficult than they need be.  
View Quote

This same ammo that no one else seems to have a problem with and I should be an adult and sell it and not try to determine the issue?

Thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I would just cut a few coils off the FP spring. A replacement is  $9 at Kvar. I would buy  a replacement spring and firing pin anyway as Kvar may  not have areplacements in the future.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This same ammo that no one else seems to have a problem with and I should be an adult and sell it and not try to determine the issue?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really misread my post. Note where I directly quoted you asking what you should do if it's ammo that's the issue for you. Thus, my answer is sell the ammo if it's causing you problems and you need 100% reliability. If it's not the ammo, then my answer doesn't apply.

But seriously man, use some common sense here. You don't need us to spoon-feed every answer; you're definitely smart enough to figure out what to do with ammo that causes problems. If not, try not to be offended when someone answers your question. It ain't personal....it's just facts.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top