Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2014 12:04:13 AM EDT
I've been looking at AKs  for a little while.  These two guns seem to come up first when talking about entry level or "first" AKs.  The major difference I see is the Wasr has two holes in the forend and the NPAPs have three.  Are the NPAPs longer?  Is the NPAP a non-standard size?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been looking at AKs  for a little while.  These two guns seem to come up first when talking about entry level or "first" AKs.  The major difference I see is the Wasr has two holes in the forend and the NPAPs have three.  Are the NPAPs longer?  Is the NPAP a non-standard size?
View Quote

WASR is basically a standard AKM. The NPAP is a Yugo pattern rifle. Depending on what you want to do with it, either could be the better choice. WASR will have a wider range of more easily acquired modifications, the NPAP is arguably a better quality build.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
WASR has a chrome-lined barrel, NPAP does not. For what it's worth.

I have a Draco and an PAP M92 which are pretty much the pistol versions of each.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

WASR is basically a standard AKM. The NPAP is a Yugo pattern rifle. Depending on what you want to do with it, either could be the better choice. WASR will have a wider range of more easily acquired modifications, the NPAP is arguably a better quality build.
View Quote

This. If you want to either keep the rifle in the stock configuration or go in a tactical direction, then I'd recommend the NPAP. If you want to modify it without going full tactical, or if you simply don't know what you may want to do with it,  go for the WASR. I prefer Yugos but their non-standard pattern can be a hinderance to those who like to tinker, or those who don't like the factory configuration (usually the buttstock).
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say the yugo is better quality, however as stated above it lacks the chrome barrel.

I'd prefer the yugo myself.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#5]
The Wasr is a version of an AKM and the N-pap is an M-70 AK.  Yugoslavia did not join the Warsaw pact and did not standardize their military with the other communist countries.  However, the M-70 is still an AK, a very high quality AK;  mags and some other accessories are interchangeable.

Right now, the N-pap is a best buy, IMO.  It is a top quality rifle built by Zastava in Serbia.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah it sounds like the NPAP is a better quality.  What do you mean when you say it is a non-standard configuration?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]

This. If you want to either keep the rifle in the stock configuration or go in a tactical direction, then I'd recommend the NPAP. If you want to modify it without going full tactical, or if you simply don't know what you may want to do with it,  go for the WASR. I prefer Yugos but their non-standard pattern can be a hinderance to those who like to tinker, or those who don't like the factory configuration (usually the buttstock).
View Quote

What do you mean by go in a tactical direction with the NPAP?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Non-standard - The Yugoslavians didn't follow the soviet AK recipe exactly. There are a number of differences, but the ones that'll affect the AK buyer the most are the differences in the stocks and handguards, the top covers, the gas tubes, and the side-rails. Because they're different than the standard AKM pattern, any accessories you buy will have to be made specifically for Yugo rifles.

This is less of a problem with "tactical" mods as there are options available for  railed handguards and collapsible/folding stocks. Where you run into a problem is replacing the wood stock with another type of wood stock, since typically the only aftermarket wood stocks available have the same size and shape as the one you're trying to replace. Given that the biggest complaint about NPAPs is the width and comb of the stock, this becomes a significant issue. If you intend on ditching the factory stock for one that's collapsible or side-folding then it becomes a non-issue.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#9]
The npap does have a chf barrel if that matters.

If chf or chrome better?
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If chf or chrome better?
View Quote

I personally believe CHF is better. It typically results in long barrel-life without the inherent inaccuracy of a chrome lining. That said, if you have a history of corrosion with your weapons then chrome is something to consider. I live in an area with incredible humidity and so much salt in the air that I can taste it, but I've never had a gun rust-up on me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#11]
What about the ability to put a red dot or other optic onto the rifle? Any difference between the side mount rails?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Side rails are different-ish, but there are mounts readily available for both. I don't use one, so that's about all I can tell you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the style of the AKM wood forend like the Wasr.  I also would like a side folder.  I think I would like to keep it more traditional than putting rails on it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#14]
yugos are better/nicer built/ h/w, if you do plan on doing lots of shooting/high volume, i'd get the CL bbl
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:24:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Buying a Yugo N-Pap tomorrow.  My question is in relation to parts availability.  ive been reading and i see things like stocks and accessories are usually different between an Npap and Wasr but what about the items needed for repair and maintenance?  Are the internals the same or are parts readily available for the Npap?  Thinking in terms of a SHTF scenario and then again in real life as well.  I know my midwayusa search didnt reveal much when i tried searching for Npap, M70 or yugo ak47.   I will agree with the post above that the NPAP looks much nicer and more refined than the wasr though.   Thanks for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:38:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I personally believe CHF is better. It typically results in long barrel-life without the inherent inaccuracy of a chrome lining. That said, if you have a history of corrosion with your weapons then chrome is something to consider. I live in an area with incredible humidity and so much salt in the air that I can taste it, but I've never had a gun rust-up on me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If chf or chrome better?

A barrel can be both CHF and chrome lined dude..

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Buying a Yugo N-Pap tomorrow.  My question is in relation to parts availability.  ive been reading and i see things like stocks and accessories are usually different between an Npap and Wasr but what about the items needed for repair and maintenance?  Are the internals the same or are parts readily available for the Npap?  Thinking in terms of a SHTF scenario and then again in real life as well.  I know my midwayusa search didnt reveal much when i tried searching for Npap, M70 or yugo ak47.   I will agree with the post above that the NPAP looks much nicer and more refined than the wasr though.   Thanks for the help everyone.
View Quote

It really depends on the part. You'll find that there aren't many items on an AK that you'll ever need to replace. 922r-compliance parts are, obviously, US made, so you should have no problem replacing them should the need arise.  Recoil springs have a fairly long life (I hear), but if there's any part you'd ever need to replace that'd be the one. Firing pins, maybe. Bolt, maybe. But all three of those items are interchangeable with M70 parts. APEX is the first place I go to look for anything Yugo.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 10:54:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you!  I put her in layaway today.  My first AK.  Excited to finally own one in this primarily AR family.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Basically this, if you want a high quality Zastava,  Serbian made rifle that is very accurate and has an awesome wood and metal finish, then the N-pap is top quality and a best buy in my opinion.  If you want to add modern accessories, especially American AR, East Euro or Russian, the WASR will work fine!  The Wasr's can be configured a lot of ways and are more than  accurate enough.  A lot of people state that their Romanian AkM's are their best shooter and most accurate AK.  I just think that in 2014, the Zastava is the next Russian ban.  When it does, it will go up like the next mak 90, Sar 1 or  Vepr.  They are high quality and hopefully available for a long time.  But there are a lot of import AK's that are only available for a limited time.  They usually increase in value.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#20]
I kinda wondered about the "next ban" type stuff.  He has two of them for 550 each.  Almost wondered if i should grab while i can.  Think im going to wait and add a Wasr to the stable instead though so i can have both types and then once im real comfortable with the platform ill get me something much nicer from Arsenal etc.   I started small with AR's and now ive got a 2 Spikes, Colt, 4 Aero Precision custom builds and im almost about to pull the trigger on buying a DD.  I think im just like most of you guys in that i just like all guns in general.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:44:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I kinda wondered about the "next ban" type stuff.  He has two of them for 550 each.  Almost wondered if i should grab while i can.  Think im going to wait and add a Wasr to the stable instead though so i can have both types and then once im real comfortable with the platform ill get me something much nicer from Arsenal etc.   I started small with AR's and now ive got a 2 Spikes, Colt, 4 Aero Precision custom builds and im almost about to pull the trigger on buying a DD.  I think im just like most of you guys in that i just like all guns in general.
View Quote

I'd go straight for the Arsenal if you want the Arsenal. Buy once.. cry once. Look around there are better deals to be had. If you want a beater AK, then by all means get the WASR.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I think the published weight of the n-pap is 7.7 lbs and the wasr is 7.5 lbs, has anyone confirmed this?
I do not have a n-pap but do have a wasr and it is very light.

I also have a saiga and o-pap and the wasr is much lighter then them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'd go straight for the Arsenal if you want the Arsenal. Buy once.. cry once. Look around there are better deals to be had. If you want a beater AK, then by all means get the WASR.
View Quote

IF he wants an Arsenal, and IF this is going to be his only AK, then I'd agree with this. However, as we all know, few folks stop at just one AK. Plus, OP has expressed an interest in the WASR and NPAP, he didn't just come here and say "I'm looking for an AK, which one should I buy?" I agree that if someone wants an Arsenal but doesn't want to spend the $$$, it's stupid to spend what money he does have on a cheaper rifle instead; just bite the bullet and save up for the Arsenal. But it doesn't sound like OP is making a "compromise" purchase, it sounds like he's thinking of someday adding an Arsenal to his Inevitable AK collection.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#24]
im a collector and like to have a variety in the stable.  if one is good then 10 most certainly is better.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm mostly an AR15 guy so I'm just getting into the AK world.  That's why I thought I would start with a $500 gun, Wasr or PAP.  I like the build quality the NPAP gives you but being a starter AK and not sure if I'll change furniture or not, I think I'm leaning toward the Wasr.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#26]
i am the EXACT same guy.  And since it is my starter AK i probably will just shoot, clean,repeat while i learn about the rifle.  For this reason i bought the NPAP.  I may get a wasr later but this rifle was just way too beautiful to pass up.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top