Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2014 6:04:16 AM EDT
Well I wanna start this off with sorry, but no pics. Sinful in this case as these rifles are a joy to look at.

So I bought 2 of these bad boys. Just got them in yesterday, and put a case of wolf 5.45 through both( about 500 rounds each)

First I'll start with the positives. Obviously a beautiful rifle. You can feel the quality in the heft.  The fit and finish for the most part is fantastic for the AK world. The guns come apart fairly easily, and are super easy to use when you are accustomed to the platform.

I was also surprised by the fact that the front trunnion has a railed section on top, perfect for an aimpoint micro. This was great news as the sights are permanent on the rifle and you have a co witness you can't get rid of. If the micro was at the beginning  of the rail I feel as the irons get in the way too much.

Shooting them was great, great target acquisition, super smooth actions, very accurate(but only took them out to 50yds) and recoil was almost non existent, in the 5.45! I really enjoyed it.

Now...the less then favorable...

One of these rifles is literally perfect, when compared to the other. I can tell these had to have been built by different employees or different days. The less then favorable one has a slight movement in the top cover(very slight, but as I understand it they should be rock solid, and the other rifle is)

The railed portion of the front trunnion is welded on, and on the less favorable rifle, is not completely welded. It's on sold for sure. And the rifle zeroed and shot fine, but if it's held to the light, there is some unwelded space in the middle portion of the rail. Kinda weird looking.

Lastly, the unfavorable rifle has a little play in the ace folding mechanism, very little, but it's there.

I just want to note that all of these unfavorable things are on one single rifle, and the other one is perfect in respect to these issues.

Now on to the negatives of the system itself....

These rifles were 2k each...kinda crazy...
They come with a tapco mag...lol
No rail sections are included...pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
Slinging the rifle is clearly an after thought... Only sling point is the qd on the end of the CTR stock
One of them came in a pretty nice soft case. The other came in just a standard box. Idk but I was expecting better. I'm not sure which rifle was which but my feeling is the less than favorable on was the one just bubble wrapped in the box.

Final thoughts. If you pay 2k for an AK, it should be plug and play minus optics. To be honest I don't even really care about the 2 rifles being a little off as the standard sights are just BUIS as far as I'm concerned but it really pisses me off that I have to go buy rail sections and at least 1 other qd mount. It is a great rifle, but 2k is a hefty price tag, I can't help but question myself, should I have just bought 2 more high end ARs. The answer is no, cause these are awesome. But you can get a lot of rifle for 2k, and on its merit alone the KV13 is pretty good, but I feel my arsenal with his UfM rail could be just as good ergonomically, at a tad more then half the price of these rifles. They are really sweet, but if it wasn't for the Russian sanctions, I would be selling at least one of them for sure. Also last but not least. He should have built these with Russian style folders of some sort...I can't help but think a CTR is a tad out of place, even on a tactical AK. It's my least favorite visual aspect.

Thanks to Atlantic firearms for super quick service! Can't wait to go shoot these babies again...and spend another hundred or so on each to get them squared away . Take care.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you contacted them about the rifle you didn't like?

You're right about the lack of extras. For $2k, it should have come with at least one rail section, and a case, minimum. But Krebs isn't the only company that skimps on that sort of stuff at times.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah...if I could afford a 2k AK the last thing I would be buying is an AK. I'd shell the money on a SCAR 16 just for 'cool factor'. (even if it does the same thing an AR does)
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:33:33 AM EDT
[#3]
you should give Marc a call and talk to him first about your concerns. They have some of the best customer service and if something isn't just right I am sure they will take care of you...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I have not called him yet. I suppose I could , but functionally nothing will change with the rifle, so I won't waste the time. They are still really great rifles.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 16 and a 17. 17 rocks. 16 is less worth it in my opinion. If I bought 2 ARs they would have been JP or  LWRC
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I was going to buy a KV13, but went THIS route instead.  It's everything the KV13 is trying to be IMO.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you should give Marc a call and talk to him first about your concerns. They have some of the best customer service and if something isn't just right I am sure they will take care of you...
View Quote

Agreed.  Long before I ever did some work with Marc I was a customer of his and from knowing him now for a couple years I can tell you customer service is HUGE to him.  

On a side note, the TAPCO mag is just for 922r compliance.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was going to buy a KV13, but went THIS route instead.  It's everything the KV13 is trying to be IMO.
View Quote

Every time I see that rifle I cum, just a little.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks sweet....I don't see what that does that the KV 13 won't do though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Agreed.  Long before I ever did some work with Marc I was a customer of his and from knowing him now for a couple years I can tell you customer service is HUGE to him.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I will give him a call.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#11]
thread is useless without pics
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:09:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
thread is useless without pics
View Quote

That's the first thing I thought of before I even read the op's post.  Another review without photos.   Cellphone & TinyPic.com;  It's so easy to do (And free! ).
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:27:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Its not that its that hard to do, but frankly I prefer not to post pics of my shit online, In any respect. Either way, Im moving to NC next week, and will contact krebs when I'm settled in.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For $2k they should also send at least a steel mag, if not a circle 10.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top