BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/20/2014 4:08:31 PM EDT
I have a 14.5" AR that's more or less an M4 clone that I'm considering trading for a 7.62 AK, something like an SGL-21 ideally.
This is my only AR, and my only EBR. My other main rifle is an SKS, hence my desire to stay with the 7.62 to share ammo.
I had an AK74 before that I really liked, but was forced to sell for money reasons.
I know that Saigas aren't coming in anymore. Other than that, how's the AK market? I know the bottom fell out of ARs, so I don't really want to sell the AR if it's only going to get me into a WASR.
Anyone make the switch and regret it?
I don't really like having multiple rifles that fill the same role, so get both isn't really an option for me.
Here's a pic of the AR. It's got a Sopmod stock and Comp M2 now instead, but overall the same.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#1]
My century m70ab2 is flawless but heavy as hell.
Can be had for around $500 last i checked. You could sell the ar and get this and have money left over
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm kind of picky.
I'd want something like this:

To wear an aimpoint eventually.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't say I would give up my only AR to get an AK but I have never been in that situation.  Personally I think the AR is a more practical platform and the AK really appeals to me for it's historic value and reliability.  That said I still own more ARs than I do AKs by about a 3 to 1 ratio.  I have a couple SGLs and while they are nice, they are no nicer than my SLRs.  This would be the worst time to try and get a Saiga as you most definitely will not get a fair trade.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah ive had an slr95 and sa93. Fine guns
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
AK market (besides Russian rifles) is great right now.  With the new sanctions, an SGL just got expensive though.  A WASR will run you about $500.  And honestly, if there are no further market interruptions over the next year, I could see prices getting a little better.

I have both, like both.  Dunno that I could give up my only AR for an AK though.  At that point it's about practical need over want.  Even though parts and ammo are readily available for an AK, the reality is it's still easier to support and feed an AR here.

What's your main reason for considering it?  Change of pace?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I guess. I really like the 7.62 round. I like the robustness and rifle-feel when shooting the SKS compared to the plasticky and kind of rattly AR, and wanted that in a more modern platform.
My only other centerfire is an SPS tactical in 308, so I have long range covered and am just trying to figure out what's best for me for a mid-range carbine.
The AR definitely has it's benefits though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not the board's resident Arsenal hater (somebody else wears that crown), but I don't particularly care for them, either.

I'd avoid the SGL simply because of the fact that with the KC ban, you're most likely going to get ripped off trying to get one, or at least pay more than you should.

The other Arsenal line is okay (The Bulgarian ones), if that's your thing.

Given the options, I'd rather ditch the SKS (Unless you have a good reason to keep it, like sentimental value), which for what they've been going for lately would get you fairly close to a new NPAP.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd keep the AR.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#9]
The SKS makes a lot of sense here in CA as a general purpose rifle, though lacks the ability to mount optics, lights and higher capacity magazines, which is where the AR and AK come in. I won't sell the SKS. Love that rifle :)

I'm not set on ONLY an SGL, that's just an easy example of the quality and look that I'm after.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Since the AK section of the board is telling me to keep the AR, I should probably do that
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I guess. I really like the 7.62 round. I like the robustness and rifle-feel when shooting the SKS compared to the plasticky and kind of rattly AR, and wanted that in a more modern platform.
My only other centerfire is an SPS tactical in 308, so I have long range covered and am just trying to figure out what's best for me for a mid-range carbine.
The AR definitely has it's benefits though.
View Quote

Eh, if it's a good deal, why not?  I'm a fan of 7.62 Russian too.  

If I did the deal while money was tight, I'd just buy a $50 PSA stripped lower and start buying AR parts piece by piece over time as a hedge.

Like you already stated, AR parts are dirt cheap right now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm kind of picky.
View Quote

Yeah, the biggest problem with wanting an SGL-21 right now is that unless your AR happens to be a DD/Noveske/BCM, with a CHF barrel and Geiselle trigger, you're unlikely to get that trade.  I imagine that most SGL-21 owners right now are hesitant to give up their rifle, and if they are, they're probably assigning a really high trade value to it.

If you have to have an Arsenal, you're probably better off selling your AR for cash and using the cash to buy an SLR-107.  They can still be had for around $1000, and are every bit as good (if not better) than an SGL.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Okay...I don't see what brand AR you've got, so I can only give you general advice.

1) Your AR is currently undervalued, due to over-saturation of the mkt. I've seen this happen 3x in my life. To sell it now is a fool's move. It WILL increase in value. People were paying $350 for a no-name AR-15 BOLT CARRIER GROUP in early '13, and now you can find a complete upper for that price. Stripped lowers peaked at $450! ! ! WTF!  If prices went that crazy on the speculation of a ban, imagine what's going to happen when the next liberal dyke gets elected. HOLD your AR(s). Buy more parts. Buy lowers at $55 and stack them to the roof.

2) Anything Russian is currently inflated due to POTUS and the Ruskis having a pissing match. If you hurry the heck up, you might score an x39 VEPR at a reasonable price (though well above the $459 shipped I paid in 2012, prior to the flat-backs being imported). VEPRs are typically superior to Saigas anyway, so if you score a VEPR, you are getting a pretty nice rifle.

3) Bulgys are really no better than Romaks, assuming you get an actual import . An early 1990s WUM 1 or CUGR2 is still under $750. I have NEVER had a failure with my Romanian WUM 1. While not as pretty as a Bulgarian, my WUM 1 shoots MUCH tighter groups than my (now gone) milled Bulgy SLR-95. And what a mean looking bastard the WUM 1 is!

4) Chinese AKs are okay (yeah, I said it), but are NOT the end-all of the AK platform. There was a time when ChiCom AKs were "the poor man's AK." I would stay away from all but the finest examples if going Chinese (i.e., PolyTech folder, or a pre 1990 AKM.) Unfortunately, you have to pay through the nose for the Chinese guns these days, but they're hardly worth it. Yes, they have thicker metal like the Vepr, but the QUALITY of the metallurgy is poor in comparison, and they have significant corrosion issues if not kept very clean/oiled.

4) If you're only going to have one AK, I would stay true to the weapon platform by looking for a nice Russian VEPR. Saigas are through the roof, and not that great in comparison. With the VEPR, you get what's essentially an RPK receiver (1.5mm vs 1mm, nicer trunnion, and typically a better fit/finish than the Saiga).

5) If all you want it for is a SHTF and plinking gun, the Romak WUM-1 would be my 1st choice. If you want to go cheaper, a WASR (I know, "booo...") can be found for $400!

In your shoes, I'd keep the AR and get a VEPR or Romak. your AR has nowhere to go but up-up-up...

-SF
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the advice, I think I'll take it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#15]
don't do it.

keep your AR.  if money is tight, see if you can save up or sell some stuff you dont need anymore to get the funds to buy a saiga or vepr unconverted for the time being.  the convert it yourself down the line.  you'll have your SKS, a nice AR, and the AK you wanted.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd keep the AR.
View Quote

This.

No way in hell i would trade an only AR for an AK.Big mistake imo.

Save some cash up and get a budget AK and keep the AR.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess I am the opposite, but I have shot AK's for 25 years.  I would rather have 1 AK over 1 AR.  The likely hood of needed repair is much lower and reliability in any given condition is higher, with or without lube.  You, unlike the US military (which I served active) do not have the vast resources to care for that AR.  Besides parts commonality and ammo here in the U.S I really don't see how the AR is better in any way really.  Didn't think so when I served either. jmho.

To edit...I guess I really don't know what you are after, a combat weapon, or a target rifle.  These days its really how I feel about the two honestly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I guess I am the opposite, but I have shot AK's for 25 years.  I would rather have 1 AK over 1 AR.  The likely hood of needed repair is much lower and reliability in any given condition is higher, with or without lube.  You, unlike the US military (which I served active) do not have the vast resources to care for that AR.  Besides parts commonality and ammo here in the U.S I really don't see how the AR is better in any way really.  Didn't think so when I served either. jmho.
View Quote

If given a choice of only one gun to take on my "run for the hills," I'd certainly pick an AK over an AR15. No need to bring multiple cleaning products, no need to continually snap closed the dust cover after a skirmish. No miniscule parts to lose if you do have to filed strip. It's truly a weapon that a 15 year old kid can strip/clean/assemble in the dark with minimal training.

If I had to pick a weapon to take "one shot" at 100+ yds to save my own life, I'd go with the AR-15/M4 any day. I can punch single holes @ 100 yds with a decent AR, while I can only make about a 2" group with a great AK.

That said, the OP already has his AR, and to sell in the current market is to sell at a loss (assuming he did not buy it in the last few months). I say ARs are a buy in the current mkt.

One other thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post - you can always purchase a 7.62x39 AR upper, and have a dual-caliber weapon.

-SF

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#19]
An alternative to the SGL21 would be to look for a slightly used SLR-107, unless you're looking for a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep your AR-15 man. Just save up for a cheap AK-47. Or just sell your optic, that Aimpoint could help fund an AK-47 rifle.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Find a good SAR-1. All the AK you could ever need.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:51:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
An alternative to the SGL21 would be to look for a slightly used SLR-107, unless you're looking for a fixed stock.

Both of these are the best advice you will receive.  A SAR-1 can be had for under $600, if you look, and an SLR-107 can be had for around $1000, if you're looking aggressively.  My SAR is easily one of the most accurate AK's I've shot, and has a great feel to it.  Everything on it is perfectly straight, and I like the look of a slightly worn finish.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:58:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't do it. Keep your AR.  Save up and buy and AK.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Do not do it.

Save and buy.

Having a carbine that fires domestic ammo is critical. Just look at the issues around imports from Russia at the moment.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I was in a similar situation and deceided to do it. My thought process was that if there is one firearm on everyones shit list it is the one that is imported and that the terrorists use. So i let my ar go with the hope that i could pick up another down the road, whcih i did.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I prefer AKs 100%.  Id get the Yugo mentioned earlier for $500

For $200 you can put a TWS dogleg rail on it and have practically AR sights and accuracy out of an AK with an underfolder!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Sell your Sopmod and Aimpoint and get a WASR or Yugo.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#28]
NPAPs are going for 549 out here, even cheaper some places online. I honestly cant think of a better AK for the money.
Like other's have said dont sell the AR, if you do, you'll end up wanting one later on anyways. I personally love both too much to be able to trade one for another.

P.S i can consistently hit a 14x16in target at 300 yards with iron sights on my NPAP, with tula..and im not exactly the best shooter there is.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Really the AR vs AK question shouldn't be your primary concern, OP. You should be worried about ammo. Having a gun that can shoot domestic ammo is a smart move. If something happens to the supply of cheap steel case ammo coming to this country (which is coming from Ukraine and Russia right now), the AK is suddenly going to be much less appealing to shoot when you're looking at $0.50 per round brass-cased ammo being your "cheap" option.

Save up and buy the AK so you can have both. As others have mentioned, you'll regret getting rid of the AR (and it's fun to have some variety).
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for all of the input everyone.
I'll definitely keep this and use it for a while before making any changes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:56:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm kind of picky.
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7165/sgl21.jpg
View Quote

Thats my goal as well but I only have one Aimpoint!! I can't decide which one should wear  it...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126473153@N07/
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the input everyone.
I'll definitely keep this and use it for a while before making any changes.
http://i.imgur.com/QDdQGrgl.jpg
View Quote

NICE! One idea I just had - with AR prices at an all time low, you could snatch-up a 7.62x39, piston upper for your AR. Then you have the fun of the x39, but in a familiar platform.

-SF
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#33]
I think I might just sell the aimpoint setup and buy a WASR, and keep both :)
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do not do it.

Save and buy.

Having a carbine that fires domestic ammo is critical. Just look at the issues around imports from Russia at the moment.

View Quote

+1

I'm a huge AK guy but that doesn't mean I don't have an AR and mags stashed away
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the ticket
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Save up for an AK.  You will regret selling your AR.  This isn't because they are better than AKs, but they aren't worse either.  What you don't have you will want so the only option is to own both.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

Best choice IMO.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#38]
K-Var's got a new batch of 107s in. $999 right now.  Pricier than the PAPs, but the best stamped AK commercially available right now IMO
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have chosen wisely
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Like mentioned above by slamfyre, keep the AR and build yourself a 7.62x39 upper if you want to use the round.  I had plenty of AKs but recently sold all but two remaining Saigas off.  One in 5.45x39 and one in 7.62x39 are all I have now.  

I bought a S&W 5.45x39 upper for my ARs and assembled a second 5.45x39 upper with a Ballistic Advantage barrel and bolt.  I have 4 ARs currently after selling 4 others, but have extra uppers in 3 calibers.

I just took a bolt action CZ 527 7.62x39 rifle out to sight in today, topped with a PO 4X Russian scope I once had on an AK (could use a better scope as my vision isn't what it once was).  I shot some old Silver Bear ammo through the rifle at a small bore .22 LR  50 yard target out at 100 yards and had 3 rounds within a 1 inch triangle. I could barely focus my eyes on the 6 inch target at that distance.  

I bet with a scope of higher power and better clarity, so I could actually see the target clearly I would do a bit more consistent shooting.

I'm used to shooting 7.62x39 through an AK, the bolt action showed me the ammo is more accurate than I am.  I bet it would shoot more accurately through an AR than my experience with an AK.

Someone younger with better vision than I have could probably out shoot me with the rifle I shot today.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I've taken my SKS out to about 250 yards on steel from field positions and had a blast. 10/10 no problem, on a smaller than full size silhouette.
But that WASR comes to like $700 after shipping, transfer, tax, etc, so I'll probably pass. With our stupid CA laws, I don't think I'd really like it any more than my SKS.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

keep the AR and build yourself a 7.62x39 upper if you want to use the round.
View Quote

An excellent option.  I have two 7.62x39 ARs and they are a blast.  I shoot them more than the AKs these days.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

An excellent option.  I have two 7.62x39 ARs and they are a blast.  I shoot them more than the AKs these days.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

keep the AR and build yourself a 7.62x39 upper if you want to use the round.

Easy to build on a budget when AIM surplus is selling stripped uppers at bargain basement prices along with inexpensive bolt carrier groups.  Just sell off the 5.56 bolt on the EE and then buy a 7.62x39 bolt and barrel.  That is what I did when I assembled my BA 5.45x39 upper.  Had so much 5.45x39 and 7.62x39 ammo after selling off 5 AKs I needed something to shoot up that extra ammo.

For deer hunting I picked up a CZ 527 Carbine in 7.62x39.  Rifle is the size and weight of a .22LR caliber rifle.  Quality ammo for deer hunting is only $10.00 a box unless I decide to use old SP Wolf I bought for pennies 15 years ago.

CZ 527  Heard about light primer strikes in these rifles, shot 75 rounds and all went boom.

What mags you use with your 7.62x39 AR upper?  I thought I read that Colt originally supplied 5.56 20 round mags marked as 7.62x39 caliber with their rifles years ago?  Held something like 10 rounds?

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

What mags you use with your 7.62x39 AR upper?  I thought I read that Colt originally supplied 5.56 20 round mags marked as 7.62x39 caliber with their rifles years ago?  Held something like 10 rounds?

View Quote

ASC 30 rounders.  Very reliable in my experience, they have a good rep amongst their users.  Also have a few 7.62x39 ASC 10 rounders but they went to my Grendel.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#45]
OP i didnt notice you were in CA when I posted my first suggestion. With that in mind, I would get a featureless Saiga (move fast before prices jump even higher) OR else you are fucked.  AK bullet buttons are not the same as AR bullet buttons, they are a completely different type of beast/bitch.  

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have a 14.5" AR that's more or less an M4 clone that I'm considering trading for a 7.62 AK, something like an SGL-21 ideally.
This is my only AR, and my only EBR. My other main rifle is an SKS, hence my desire to stay with the 7.62 to share ammo.
I had an AK74 before that I really liked, but was forced to sell for money reasons.
I know that Saigas aren't coming in anymore. Other than that, how's the AK market? I know the bottom fell out of ARs, so I don't really want to sell the AR if it's only going to get me into a WASR.
Anyone make the switch and regret it?
I don't really like having multiple rifles that fill the same role, so get both isn't really an option for me.
Here's a pic of the AR. It's got a Sopmod stock and Comp M2 now instead, but overall the same.
http://i.imgur.com/oJQEPQPl.jpg
View Quote

I wouldn't do it.

Keep your AR.

Sell your SKS and get a 300BLK upper if you want a .30 caliber gun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#47]
I would strip the Aimpoint Pro and KAC rail off the rifle and trade it for SGL21 or SLR107 .  You can always build a PSA, BCM, Spikes AR in stages and throw the Aimpoint with rail back on and they will always be domestically available.  I have a feeling that good AKs like Arsenals are going to sky rocket in value with the executive order ban on Russian guns.  I would not trade for any AK besides an Arsenal,  WASR / Yugos are $550 - so if that is what you are going for just save and buy one. Another option would be just sell the Aimpoint and throw another $200 on it and get a WASR / Yugo.  I have sold 3 Colt 6920s and not regretted parting ways with them because they are so easily available / replaceable.  I do regret selling some of my AKs like a SLR106 FR, Interarms AK74, SGL21, M72 RPK, and WASR underfolder because although I could buy them back - the cost would be almost 30-100% more than what I originally paid for them.  Good AKs keep their value and seem to appreciate value - right now ARs do not.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#48]
The only option for me is to have both. You will regret getting rid of the AR. I can't imagine having only 2 rifles to my name. Lol! Save up for an AK.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#49]
I don't have only two rifles, but I really only like to have 1 rifle per "use" so to speak, as money is limited.
The SKS is my general plinker, the Remington 700 is my long range rifle, my 10/22 is for 22 goodness, and I'm just trying to fill the role of "shtf/combat rifle", or whatever you want to call it.
Though being in CA has me less and less attracted to even having such a neutered type of rifle honestly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#50]
keep the AR - put an AK on layaway at Atlantic Firearms or Mississippi Auto Arms
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top