Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 1:28:09 PM EDT
When I look up AK's on the J&G web site (that company is very close to where I live), I find the following

Yugo Zastava NPAP
Yugo M70B1
Yugo M70AB2
TGI AK-74
Romanian WASR10
CAI AK63D

All this means something but I don't know what.
Can anyone explain these terms?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The NPAP is a Serbian factory-built rifle.
The M70B1 is a fixed-stock (former) Yugoslavian AKM clone, built with an imported parts kit with a new US receiver & barrel, plus some US made compliance parts like the trigger group & slant brake.
The M70AB2 is an M70 rifle with an underfolding steel stock, instead of the fixed wood on the M70. It's still build with an imported parts kit & a new US receiver & barrel & has the same compliance parts.

The TGI is an AK-74 clone, which means it fires the 5.45x39mm round, and not the 7.62x39mm round that the others shoot.

The WASR-10 is Romanian AKM clone, and is probably has the roughest fit & finish of them all. Provided that the sights aren't canted and the magwell isn't sloppy, though, they're perfectly good rifles. They're
The AK63D is a milled AKS-47 clone, which means the receiver was milled from a block of steel instead of being a flat, stamped sheet metal that was bent to the proper shape. Some people like them because they make the rifle somewhat more rigid, but I don't care for the extra weight.

Of all those choices, unless you're specifically looking for a 5.45mm rifle, I'd get the NPAP. It's head & shoulders above the rest.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The NPAP is a Serbian factory-built rifle.
The M70B1 is a fixed-stock (former) Yugoslavian AKM clone, built with an imported parts kit with a new US receiver & barrel, plus some US made compliance parts like the trigger group & slant brake.
The M70AB2 is an M70 rifle with an underfolding steel stock, instead of the fixed wood on the M70. It's still build with an imported parts kit & a new US receiver & barrel & has the same compliance parts.

The TGI is an AK-74 clone, which means it fires the 5.45x39mm round, and not the 7.62x39mm round that the others shoot.

The WASR-10 is Romanian AKM clone, and is probably has the roughest fit & finish of them all. Provided that the sights aren't canted and the magwell isn't sloppy, though, they're perfectly good rifles. They're
The AK63D is a milled AKS-47 clone, which means the receiver was milled from a block of steel instead of being a flat, stamped sheet metal that was bent to the proper shape. Some people like them because they make the rifle somewhat more rigid, but I don't care for the extra weight.

Of all those choices, unless you're specifically looking for a 5.45mm rifle, I'd get the NPAP. It's head & shoulders above the rest.
View Quote

Thank you!  That is exactly what I needed to know.
I saw an article on the web yesterday that said that because of our troubles with Russia that AK's would disappear (be sold out).  I thought that most that we can buy were not made in Russia.  Is that true?
Also anyone know if Wolfe ammunition is likely to be bared from importation?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Finally between an NPAP and an Arsenal Inc which would you prefer?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thank you!  That is exactly what I needed to know.
I saw an article on the web yesterday that said that because of our troubles with Russia that AK's would disappear (be sold out).  I thought that most that we can buy were not made in Russia.  Is that true?
Also anyone know if Wolfe ammunition is likely to be bared from importation?
View Quote

Bunch of crap. What it does mean is that the supply of Saiga rifles is going to dry up. None of the rifles you listed have anything to do with Russia, so your second assumption is correct.

As for the ammunition part, nobody can say. I haven't bought any Wolf in quite a while, because my rifle likes Silver Bear better.

Black & black/yellow box Wolf is made in Ukraine anyway, not Russia. Red Army Standard ammo is made in Ukraine, Romania, and Bosnia.

The camo-box Wolf is made in Russia, I'm pretty sure that Brown/Silver/Golden Bear ammo is also made in the same plant as the Wolf camo box.

Winchester makes some, so does Prvi Partizan, although both those are brass cased/boxer primed (reloadable) and thus more expensive.

As to the Arsenal thing, I don't care for them, but that's my personal opinion. Quite a few people have them and are VERY happy with them. That said, the Arsenal is going to be nicer than the NPAP is.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Arsenal should be a better rifle but they are very hard to find. I would look at a WASR from Atlantic, they are QC checked and take standard AK furniture unlike the NPAP. I am about to order one for my first AK.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
What's the difference between the N-PAP and the M70 besides the U.S.-made/compliance parts and the grenade sight?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What's the difference between the N-PAP and the M70 besides the U.S.-made/compliance parts and the grenade sight?
View Quote

N-PAP is made in Serbia, and the M70 is assembled here by Century?

Hrm.

After doing a little more looking, it seems that some of the M70s are assembled here, and some of them are made in Serbia.

Seems like the older ones, with the grenade launcher sight, were parts kits, and the newer ones without them are Serbian-made?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hrm.

After doing a little more looking, it seems that some of the M70s are assembled here, and some of them are made in Serbia.

Seems like the older ones, with the grenade launcher sight, were parts kits, and the newer ones without them are Serbian-made?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hrm.

Google just told me that original M70's have 1.5mm receivers like O-PAPs. How thick are the U.S. receivers in the Century guns? The article also said that non chrome-lined barrels are more accurate. I wonder how true that is.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which Arsenal model?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Google just told me that original M70's have 1.5mm receivers like O-PAPs. How thick are the U.S. receivers in the Century guns? The article also said that non chrome-lined barrels are more accurate. I wonder how true that is.
View Quote

The US rifles are also 1.5mm thick.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:07:29 AM EDT
[#11]
On the chrome lining thing: It can be true, depending on how the particular barrel was made, and how well they did the lining.

That said, on your bog-standard AK firing steel cased ammo, you're not going to notice the difference.

CL vs Non-CL anymore isn't a really huge issue, since the main reason you'd want chrome lining (To protect the barrel when you can't clean it, or from corrosive ammo deposits) is kind of a moot point, since corrosive primed 7.62x39 hasn't been widely available for a long time (With the exceptions of the Yugo M67 which seems to have reappeared). Even then a good shot of ammoniated window cleaner or some boiling hot water was enough to protect the barrel until you could get it home and clean it.

Pretty much all the commercial ammunition you can buy anymore (Non-surplus) is non-corrosive primed anyway.

Yugoslavian/Serbian rifles never had chrome lining anyway.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

M70 has a US receiver and barrel. The remaining parts (except for compliance parts) come from Yugo parts kits culled from old, destroyed M70 military rifles. They're assembled by Century.

The NPAP is made by Zastava in Serbia at the same plant and by the same people who made the actual M70 military rifles. It's made with all new factory parts and CHF barrels.

The NPAP is sort of a modern civilian-ized rifle while the Century-built M70s are clones of the original M70s. That said, the NPAPs give nothing up to other military com-bloc AKM pattern rifles.

Quality control seems to be better with the NPAPs than the Century M70s, but Century is the importer/distributor for both so customer service is the same should you have a problem with either.

Both are fairly inexpensive now and similar in price, but 10-20 years from now I'd expect the NPAP to hold its value better since it's a factory-built rifle. The M70 sells for about $500-ish, and it's worth that; the NPAP sells for $500-ish but it could sell for considerably more and not raise an eyebrow.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top