Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 4:43:25 PM EDT
picked up a timbersmith stock set in the ugliest black color. just doesnt look right at all. great fit, and workmanship, just the color is nasty.

looks like this:

any chance of refinishing this to a dark red or brown stain?

what would be best way to do this? sand it, or strip it with chemicals?

is it even worth doing? or will it end up looking worse? i have no idea what type of finish they use on their stock sets.

or, would i be better of posting a want to trade thread in the EE for an already finished russian red stock set? i am leary of this option, as this set fits perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the stock off and spray it down with paint remover, I just use the cheap stuff in the spray can. Let it sit a few min and wipe it off with steel wool. Let it dry good and sand it lightly since this will raise the grain. What I do next is soak it over night in 75% water 25% Clorox then dry and sand again. Then finish it anyway you want.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take the stock off and spray it down with paint remover, I just use the cheap stuff in the spray can. Let it sit a few min and wipe it off with steel wool. Let it dry good and sand it lightly since this will raise the grain. What I do next is soak it over night in 75% water 25% Clorox then dry and sand again. Then finish it anyway you want.
View Quote

paint remover? like aircraft stipper?

if i soak it in a water/bleach mixture, wont it bloat and warp? do you just let it float in the water/bleach mixture, or submerge it, and weigh it down submerged?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Standard bleach is not strong enough to do the job fast enough to limit any problems with water soak.

Go to a swimming pool supply and buy some powdered pool bleach.
Mix that with hot water to a totally saturated solution.
This is WAY stronger than laundry bleach so wear gloves and eye protection.  (No BS, be careful).

Much depends on WHAT the stain in the wood is.  Various stains or dyes require different methods.
Here's some good info on lightening wood.

http://antiquerestorers.com/Articles/jeff/using_wood_bleach.htm

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The water and Clorox is plenty strong enough. I've done three AKs in the last month and all came out of the water white and clean just by soaking over night. The stripper I used was just the cheap stuff in a can from Walmart. Was a gold colored can but can't recall the name.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Sell it and out the money towards something you really like.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sell it and out the money towards something you really like.
View Quote

i would, but the fit of this set is so perfect on the intended rifle.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top