BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/27/2014 4:44:58 PM EDT
A few months ago, I had a crazy idea and gathered the parts to make it work.  Then, I sent if off to Tim Foreman at Gewehr Werks to be built.  Tim has been a pleasure to deal with thus far and I highly recommend him.  I did a lot of web searching before I decided to send the kit to him and don't think I read a bad thing about the guy or his shop.  

http://www.gewehrwerks.com/

A little background on the rifle and a parts breakdown...

A virgin AK-105 barrel assembly was used along with a virgin AK74 parts kit.  

Other Parts:

TWS Forend and Dust Cover
RD AKM4 adapter
Magpul CTR with 1/4" Cheek Riser
Magpul MOE AK Grip
Magpul AFG
Tantal Brake permanently attached
Troy Micro flip-up sights

I plan on topping it off with an Aimpoint PRO since it will co-witness with the Micros.  

I just talked with Tim today and the rifle is ready to ship back to me.  He said that he really liked the rifle build and wants to offer it on his site after he talks with vendors and gets pricing sorted.  Personally, I think it's going to be one bad ass little AK that I am going to enjoy thoroughly.  So, if any of you like the concept or idea, these will be available from Gewehr Werks.  I am guessing (but certainly do not want to speak for him or his shop) that he'll end up using Saigas in various calibers as it would be a lot more economical and the barrel could be made a bit longer than an AK-105 barrel without adding to the overall length.  The build could incorporate just about any caliber and  barrel length combo.  

Here's a quick mock-up I did before I shipped it off...

I should have pics from Tim today or tomorrow and will post the final build when I get the photos.

UPDATE – 4/24/14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUSebvg2ryI

I was finally able to find the time to get my brainchild yesterday and I have to say… this damn thing is, by far, the nicest AK rifle I have ever owned and I have/had some nice ones (SLR-107FR, SLR-104UR, SLR-104FR, just about every flavor of VEPR, etc).  The quality on this is amazing and one can only conclude that Tim Foreman is a perfectionist.  The rivet work is great.  The finish is excellent.  Mags lock in nice and tight.  I have zero complaints.  

When looking down to top rail, alignment is absolutely perfect from the top cover to the front end on this rifle.  I was going to try this setup on a few base rifles, but it seemed that every single rifle was out of alignment (canted gas block, canted RSB, slightly twisted receiver, misaligned rear trunnion, etc.) in one way or another.  That is why I wanted it to be a ground-up build.  This rifle is spot-on – absolutely straight from front to rear and that is exactly what is needed for this setup to make sense and work.  The only thing I will likely change with this rifle is swapping out the RD adapter for a Canis adapter.  I’ve had issues with the RD adapter and I think the Canis is a superior product.  Now, I just need to get one in 7.62x39!

Just to give you an idea of overall length, I have it next to my AR that has a 14.5" barrel and permanently attached FH.  

Got some better photos with optics...

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 5:11:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks awesome, definitely taking the AK into the next "generation"; reminds me of an AR with a lo-pro gb and full length handguard, which is pretty standard for competition ARs nowadays.
Who knows, maybe soon, the same will be standard for AKs in competition.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged for future pics of completed rifle!
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Just in time for surplus ammo to be banned from import...

http://www.thebangswitch.com/import-ban-on-7n6-5-45x39/
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#4]
No ammo worries yet. Plenty out there so stock up

One sweet looking rifle !!!!!!!!!!!!

Where can I price out that fore end set up ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just in time for surplus ammo to be banned from import...

http://www.thebangswitch.com/import-ban-on-7n6-5-45x39/
View Quote

Good thing I don't bother with corrosive 5.45 ammo.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Where can I price out that fore end set up ?
View Quote

The TWS forend was something like $275 shipped frorm Primary Arms.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Looking forward to seeing the pics.  I'm usually not into the more modern-ish AKs, but that looks and sounds pretty slick.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I still can't tell if I like it or hate it...
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This definitely isn't for everyone, especially if you are a traditionalist.  For me, this is kind of in the same niche as the KV-13 rifles.  Personally, I took a look at those rifles, wasn't enthused and came up with this based off of what I didn't like about them.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This definitely isn't for everyone, especially if you are a traditionalist.  For me, this is kind of in the same niche as the KV-13 rifles.  Personally, I took a look at those rifles, wasn't enthused and came up with this based off of what I didn't like about them.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It certainly looks practical, don't get me wrong. I like some of my AK's with some useful additions.

Why go with the 105 GB and permed tantal brake over an extended 4 piece or SBR?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I love it. I like seeing non traditional weapons. I love all AK's and AR's, but theres something about the guns that are oddballs that I really like. My current fav is the Bulgarian AR-M9F. I dont know why but I love it. Im really looking forward to the Troy industries AK handguard. It should give all the traditionalists something to bitch about.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It certainly looks practical, don't get me wrong. I like some of my AK's with some useful additions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gas block that was used is from the unissued AK74 kit.  The AK-105 gas block/sight that came with the AK-105 barrel assembly was not used.  The reason I went with this front end is because I could get it just a over 16" and, thus, have the rifle as short as possible without having to go the SBR route.  More power to the guys the file for tax stamps, but it's not for me.  Personally, I think it's a bunch of sh*t and refuse to do it.  So, when you want a short rifle, you gotta get creative.  

I would have went a number of ways with this build though.  A Tantal brake wouldn't have to be used.  This build could just as easily be done with a 7.62, .223 or 5.45 Saiga and a number of barrel length/muzzle device combos could be used as well.  I was thinking about having the same thing done with a 7.62x39 Saiga - getting the barrel chopped to about 14" or so and having a muzzle device permanently attached to get it over 16".
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Funny, I just did something very similar with mine it is based on ak104
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Look forward to seeing the finished product. I am very interested in how it turns out. I might copy your idea, but in 7.62.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#15]
hope you have a shit load of ammo.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 4:32:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, 5.45 ammo is no more.Confirmed by Copes and Bryan at AIM.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone is acting like 5.45x39 is forever banned.  M67 got banned and guess what... life went on.  7.62x39 is plentiful.  Let's be rational, please.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#18]

5.45 will still go on. Just will be priced closer to/at .223 prices. Before today, it was the absolute cheapest centerfire cartridge out there.

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surplus 5.45 is no more. No need to set off a panic on the commercial ammo.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, i meant surplus 5.45
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see no benefit in commercial 5.45. The whole appeal of 5.45 is the surplus ammo, 7n6 IMO is far better than most commercial offerings (Hornady).

If I'm paying X for commercial 5.45 I'd rather invest into a SLR-106. At least with 5.56 you can get better loadings than you can with limited 5.45 offerings.

Also when was M67 banned?
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I see no benefit in commercial 5.45. The whole appeal of 5.45 is the surplus ammo, 7n6 IMO is far better than most commercial offerings (Hornady).

If I'm paying X for commercial 5.45 I'd rather invest into a SLR-106. At least with 5.56 you can get better loadings than you can with limited 5.45 offerings.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think it was. It's just hard to find now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

M67 wasnt banned, an agreement on price was never reached with the importers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly.

OP sorry to de-rail your thread. Its going to be an awesome build.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking of the cheap Chinese steel core when I typed M67... not sure why.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

exactly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly.

It's all good, man.  I didn't really care.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#27]
So have you gotten the rifle back yet? I'd love to see some finished pics.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#28]
This is a really handsome rifle- Even though I have heard bad things about the TWS handguard and their CS, it is still a fine looking piece. Should be a very flat shooting rifle!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#29]
You really shouldn't buy anymore 5.45x39 rifles now that surplus ammo is banned

For the rest of you, in a few years my heirs are going to be happy after they bury me and see what is stacked up on shelves in the basement.  I should leave instructions to sell on the Equipment Exchange.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You really shouldn't buy anymore 5.45x39 rifles now that surplus ammo is banned

For the rest of you, in a few years my heirs are going to be happy after they bury me and see what is stacked up on shelves in the basement.  I should leave instructions to sell on the Equipment Exchange.
View Quote

I'm worried that I will die and my wife will sell my stuff for what I have told her I spent on it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Any updates on your gun OP?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Any updates on your gun OP?
View Quote

I'll likely have it Tuesday or Wednesday (Thursday at the latest).
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#33]
I was finally able to find the time to get my brainchild yesterday and I have to say… this damn thing is, by far, the nicest AK rifle I have ever owned and I have/had some nice ones (SLR-107FR, SLR-104UR, SLR-104FR, just about every flavor of VEPR, etc).  The quality on this is amazing and one can only conclude that Tim Foreman is a perfectionist.  The rivet work is great.  The finish is excellent.  Mags lock in nice and tight.  I have zero complaints.  

When looking down to top rail, alignment is absolutely perfect from the top cover to the front end on this rifle.  I was going to try this setup on a few base rifles, but it seemed that every single rifle was out of alignment (canted gas block, canted RSB, slightly twisted receiver, misaligned rear trunnion, etc.) in one way or another.  That is why I wanted it to be a ground-up build.  This rifle is spot-on – absolutely straight from front to rear and that is exactly what is needed for this setup to make sense and work.  The only thing I will likely change with this rifle is swapping out the RD adapter for a Canis adapter.  I’ve had issues with the RD adapter and I think the Canis is a superior product.  Now, I just need to get one in 7.62x39!

Just to give you an idea of overall length, I have it next to my AR that has a 14.5" barrel and permanently attached FH.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#34]
That is one Ecellent looking rifle!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That is one Ecellent looking rifle!
View Quote

Thanks.  My photos really don't do it justice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#36]
That is beautiful op. Just one question, why would you go with the canis adapter over the RD adapter? I'm planning on doing something similar and while I have an RD adapter, I would like to see what other options there are.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Thats coolest looking ak I've ever seen. The tactical parts don't give it that cheesy look a lot of ak's get. Your gun is just awesome. I want it
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That is beautiful op. Just one question, why would you go with the canis adapter over the RD adapter? I'm planning on doing something similar and while I have an RD adapter, I would like to see what other options there are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you.  I prefer the Canis adapter because it is a one-piece design that is far less prone to failure (screws bending/sheering) than the RD adapter.  RD came up with a "solution" via sending out bushings with their adapters, but I don't trust the RD adapters and plan on ditching all of the RD adapters to then replace them with Canis adapters.  I've had issues with the RD adapter tang screws bending and think all of the screws used (especially the tang screws) need to be more robust.  I told this to RD and they didn't seem to think I had a valid point.  Their conclusion was that the bushings should resolve the issues.  I'm not sold on the idea.  The Canis adapter is superior.  

Quoted:
Thats coolest looking ak I've ever seen. The tactical parts don't give it that cheesy look a lot of ak's get. Your gun is just awesome. I want it

Thank you very much.  I am very pleased.  Yes, I spared no expense on this rifle and, as far as I am concerned, this rifle has no BS.  Every part has a legit function and isn't just slapped on to look "cool".  Over the past few years, I've seen a handful of rifles that were similar conceptually, but junk was used to achieve it.  It's funny.  When I first called Tim about this build I could tell that he was rather unenthused about having his name attached to some ridiculous monstrosity and I can't say that I blame him.  However, he completely changed his attitude about the rifle after he started to see the quality of the parts being used and how slick the build turned out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#39]
very sleek and well done! I like it.

My 1st question would be about weight and balance.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks op. Btw does the buffer tube still need a castle nut when using the canis adapter?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks,  The rifle balances extremely well and I love the thumb-over-bore grip.  Weight is right at 7.5 lbs.  

Quoted:
Thanks op. Btw does the buffer tube still need a castle nut when using the canis adapter?

No prob.  The Canis adapter comes a set screw.  I asked them what the purpose of it was and they told me it was for those who didn't want to buy an end plate and castle nut.  Personally, I'd spend a few bucks on those parts and have a much more secure buffer tube.  It's good that they did it for the cheapskates, but it's also far inferior to going the end plate / castle nut route.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks good! Congrats.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#44]
damn that's impressive
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#45]
You made some outstanding choices and it came out beautiful, Well done Sir.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:28:04 AM EDT
[#46]

Beautiful!
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Got some better photos with optics...

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Ok... I will eat a little crow on this one... it looks extremely functional and well thought out. Nice work.

What is the weight?

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#49]
That a great looking stick but i too have questions.... No front sling mount? Single point only would never be ok to me personally. Also, how does that thing stayed zerod if the rear site is on a removable cover and doesnt use the scope mount? And if its not removable well, thats worse.... Tell me im missing something?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Ok... I will eat a little crow on this one... it looks extremely functional and well thought out. Nice work.

What is the weight?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What is the weight?

No eating crow necessary.  I was skeptical as well.  It's right around 7.5 lbs empty.

Quoted:

That a great looking stick but i too have questions.... No front sling
mount? Single point only would never be ok to me personally. Also, how
does that thing stayed zerod if the rear site is on a removable cover
and doesnt use the scope mount? And if its not removable well, thats
worse.... Tell me im missing something?

You are missing something.  A front sling mount would be simple, but I run single-point slings off the AR end plates and have no need for a front sling mount.  It has stayed zeroed just fine.  The TWS dust cover is very stable and has absolutely no play once locked in.  It does open, but hinges on the RSB.  Fieldstripping is not complicated or inhibited by this add-on.  I have opened and closed the TWS dust cover multiple times, removed the Aimpoint PRO a few times, punched it, asked my fat cousin to sit on it and it has held zero without issue.  I rarely talk up anything, but this is a very good, well-thought-out product.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top