Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2014 4:13:02 PM EDT
I lost most of my collection to a divorce years ago, and am starting it over again. Just shook hands on a Norinco AKM 47S underfolder. Should be here in a week. No box, has a couple hundred rounds through it but has original sling and bayo (I'm told). Couple 30 round Chinese mags and a Chinese 75 round drum that come with it. Someone swapped out the lower handguard for a laminated one it looks like, so I'm on the hunt for an original.

I'd like to restore it to "as original as possible", so, do you see nay discrepancies?

Pics posted in below posts for now until I receive it...
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
That's awesome! Never to late to start again. Great choice and great addition. Look forward to pictures in the future
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Any comments/observations?

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!
I just bought a Poly double under folder a couple months ago.
Can't beat a Chinese AK.

What did you get it for if you don't mind me asking.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
       <removed that, price check threads get locked here> See red banner at top of page. dryflash3 Did I do good?  Or bad?  I don't remember what I paid for my last one 15 years ago.  I just know I wanted it.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

<snip> dryflash3 Did I do good?  Or bad?  I don't remember what I paid for my last one 15 years ago.  I just know I wanted it.
View Quote

If its a preban, you did really good.  If its a converted MAK90, you still did pretty damn good.

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
It's a pre-ban.  At least I think it is.  AKM47S, pre-56S.. Sile import... should be like 1982 or something I think.

Stamp says:

AKM 47S
Semi-Auto
7.62x39mm
Norinco
Sile NY., Ny.
Made in China
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]
You did real good.
You got a preban china-doll for the price of a century Romy....let that sink in for a minute.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You did real good.
You got a preban china-doll for the price of a century Romy....let that sink in for a minute.
View Quote

Really?  Sweet, I was hoping I was right... I was working with a guy on it over the internet/text message.  I guess I'll know all of the details on it when it gets here.  Serial No., etc.  Won't get all my hopes up until then.  But, according to some quick Googling and such the stamping tells the story of what it is.  

As soon as I get it I'll post up a ton of quality pics.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
       <removed that, price check threads get locked here> See red banner at top of page. dryflash3 Did I do good?  Or bad?  I don't remember what I paid for my last one 15 years ago.  I just know I wanted it.  
View Quote

Sorry!  Wasn't price checking just answering his question...  told him what I paid for it.  Removed anything else regarding same and will still post up some pics when I get it, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Original furniture if you are interested.

AK47 Grip, Upper, Lower Blonde w/ Bayonet Cut PolyTech AK Rifle
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think it was a blonde when it was born, though...The pistol grip color in the photo is the original/color as far as I can tell...  Seems to have more of an amber color... Here's a close-up of it:

Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#12]
That would be Chu wood I think. Parts for the Chinese weapons are getting scarce. Maybe try the  equipment exchange. I like the rifle just as it is. Good score.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That would be Chu wood I think. Parts for the Chinese weapons are getting scarce. Maybe try the  equipment exchange. I like the rifle just as it is. Good score.
View Quote

Thanks Jim.  I'll look around... I'd like to get an "original" or at least matching forend set if possible.  Nothing wrong with the palm swell laminate, I'd just like to return it to as close to its original state if possible.  Really wish I had the box, too.  I appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]
If you cant find OEM parts Ironwood makes furniture for Chinese AK's.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 2:28:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks Jim.  I'll look around... I'd like to get an "original" or at least matching forend set if possible.  Nothing wrong with the palm swell laminate, I'd just like to return it to as close to its original state if possible.  Really wish I had the box, too.  I appreciate the help!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might have a difficult time due to the particular finish on that PG. Looks like it the earlier style before Norinco went with the heavier shellac coating that is more common and more orange in color. Might check the KCR MG shoot coming up in April for the best chance of finding the UHG/LHG set you're looking for. FWIW the PG looks more Polytech with regards to the finish.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 3:14:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't think it was a blonde when it was born, though...The pistol grip color in the photo is the original/color as far as I can tell...  Seems to have more of an amber color... Here's a close-up of it:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a226/TheHomelandSoldier/IMG953209.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the original grip... you will see the handguard floating around on the EE for pretty cheap (they are the same as the ones on the MAK90s).  I really like the PG... shows character.  The checked ones are not the original Norinco 56s-1.  Not sure if that has been covered yet.  The color on the grips can vary in shade.  The PG on my Norinco is darker than the handguard on the rifle.  Don't get that Polytech furniture... it isn't the original stuff for your rifle and you will have a spiker cutout on a rifle that isn't a spiker haha.  Nice rifle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 3:45:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the help fellas.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:13:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is where the price check happened.

Price mentioned, which was edited, then the price check question in blue.

I'm just going to go back to locking these threads, doesn't pay to try to be nice to folks new to this forum.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<removed that, price check threads get locked here> See red banner at top of page. dryflash3 Did I do good? Or bad? I don't remember what I paid for my last one 15 years ago. I just know I wanted it.

This is where the price check happened.

Price mentioned, which was edited, then the price check question in blue.

I'm just going to go back to locking these threads, doesn't pay to try to be nice to folks new to this forum.

I understand and apilogized. Wasn't intentional. I was entrapped lol!  

But seriously I'm a rule follower, or at least I try to be, no worries. I haven't been here in a bit you're right. Don't punish others for my screw up. There's enough of that going around lol.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Blonde Manchurian Chu wood was typically finished with a shellac or lacquer giving it an amber color. If you buy that blonde furniture set from Polytec Parts or off the EE and want to achieve this same color, get some Bullseye Amber Shellac and apply as many coats as you want until the color matches.

Here is mine refinished with 5 coats:
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 12:19:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Blonde Manchurian Chu wood was typically finished with a shellac or lacquer giving it an amber color. If you buy that blonde furniture set from Polytec Parts or off the EE and want to achieve this same color, get some Bullseye Amber Shellac and apply as many coats as you want until the color matches.

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/543/dsc05298z.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/543/dsc05298z.jpg

Excellent thank you!
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#23]
A nice pic as promised...

Link Posted: 4/2/2014 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Blued bolt/bolt carrier too, nice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Can anyone tell me if by chance that laminated lower handguard might be original?  All research points to "no", but, just double-checking.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#26]
No, the only Chinese AK imported with a lower handguard of that style was the extremely rare Norinco Type 88S 5.45mm

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
No, the only Chinese AK imported with a lower handguard of that style was the extremely rare Norinco Type 88S 5.45mm
http://www.chicom47.com/Pics/norinco.jpg
http://www.dragunov.net/ndm86/Norincocatalog_267x.jpg
View Quote

10-4 thanks bud.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top