Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/30/2014 6:19:08 PM EDT
I bought a Russian SGL31-95 a few months ago when Atlantic Firearms had them in stock and have been VERY happy with the rifle.  I've noticed that there are some Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-104FR rifles floating around out there now and am wondering which one is the better rifle or closest to a real AK-74.

I've read that the SLR-104FR has the reinforcing plate on the pistol grip that's missing from the SLG series.  Any other notable differences in the guns?  The Arsenal is about $200 cheaper.  Does it come with a chrome lined muzzle brake?  I know that my SGL31 did not and I was a little disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:28:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Well they are two different rifles.  One is AK100/74M based and the Bulgarian is an older AKS74 design.  Of course, this kind of nuance means nothing but to certain collectors looking for 'correct' builds etc.  Right now, you can not go wrong with the SLR104.  That would be my choice.  Sometimes they come with the chrome lined brake, sometimes not.  My first 106 did, but my second one did not. The PG plate as you say is also a plus and is a correct factory addition.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I bought a Russian SGL31-95 a few months ago when Atlantic Firearms had them in stock and have been VERY happy with the rifle.  I've noticed that there are some Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-104FR rifles floating around out there now and am wondering which one is the better rifle or closest to a real AK-74.

I've read that the SLR-104FR has the reinforcing plate on the pistol grip that's missing from the SLG series.  Any other notable differences in the guns?  The Arsenal is about $200 cheaper.  Does it come with a chrome lined muzzle brake?  I know that my SGL31 did not and I was a little disappointed.
View Quote

I recommend SLR-104FR
Here's my review: SLR-104FR Video Review
I went into some finer details and some comparison with the SGL
Sold all 4 of my SGL31-94 since they were not really what I expected, and the new 104FR is everything I expected and more.
Both of my 104FR were originally the poly stock model, and one of them actually came with a Bulgarian Chrome Lined MB, which really surprised me.
Other one is non-chromed, just like many others had reported.

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well they are two different rifles.  One is AK100/74M based and the Bulgarian is an older AKS74 design.  Of course, this kind of nuance means nothing but to certain collectors looking for 'correct' builds etc.  Right now, you can not go wrong with the SLR104.  That would be my choice.  Sometimes they come with the chrome lined brake, sometimes not.  My first 106 did, but my second one did not. The PG plate as you say is also a plus and is a correct factory addition.
View Quote

What are the differences in the AK100/74M and the AKS74?  Assuming both have the same sidefolding polymer stock.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:50:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The Vepr. Much better.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What are the differences in the AK100/74M and the AKS74?  Assuming both have the same sidefolding polymer stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AK74M is the newest version of the 74 rifle.
AKS74, is a 74 with folding stock.
There's a lot of tiny details, but I don't know if you would be interested.
FSB, GB, Gtube release lever, trigger guard, front trunion, rear trunion, top cover, and stock are all different in some minor ways.
74M has a 'bump rivet' poking through the front trunion and receiver replacing the older trunion design which has a slope on the trunion that helps the bolt to rotate.
Minor details....but pretty big difference for us that really studies the difference.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

FSB, GB, Gtube release lever, trigger guard, front trunion, rear trunion, top cover, and stock are all different in some minor ways.
74M has a 'bump rivet' poking through the front trunion and receiver replacing the older trunion design which has a slope on the trunion that helps the bolt to rotate.
Minor details....but pretty big difference for us that really studies the difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the details.  I've noticed that the top cover on the SGL is smooth vs ribbed for the Bulgarian guns.  You won't bore me in the least with the nuances.  I've found myself lately becoming quite the gun snob and really getting into collecting and wanting the proper details on my guns.

What's a good resource for studying each AK variant?  Is there a book or reference manual that shows all of the original full auto versions and spells out the details? I have one for the SKS that's pretty good, but I've noticed most of the AK books that I've bought show pictures of US Semi Auto variants.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks for the details.  I've noticed that the top cover on the SGL is smooth vs ribbed for the Bulgarian guns.  You won't bore me in the least with the nuances.  I've found myself lately becoming quite the gun snob and really getting into collecting and wanting the proper details on my guns.

What's a good resource for studying each AK variant?  Is there a book or reference manual that shows all of the original full auto versions and spells out the details? I have one for the SKS that's pretty good, but I've noticed most of the AK books that I've bought show pictures of US Semi Auto variants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This book is good.
However, it still doesn't really tell you all the little details.
I mainly learned the tiny details online through forums, picture comparison, and personal experience.
Like the SGL (AK74M clone), the GB will have a 'wedge shaped' bottom just right above the accessory lug, around the area of the pins, the slope/wedge shape is the 'self center' a GP35 grenade launcher.
On older 74, like the AKS74, it won't have that 'feature'.

My friend has a SGL21-95, which is pretty much like a AK74M, so I think I might do a video comparison.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pick up "The Grim Reaper" by Frank Iannamico.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Since you already have a SGL31-95 I'd just keep that.  But for someone that does not have either I would definitely go with the SLR104.  It's $250 cheaper and I like the ribbed cover and PG reinforcing plate.  The ribbed cover is  thinner than the smooth cover so the SLR should have a slight weight advantage.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I think you just need to get both. For comparison purposes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[M

Sold all 4 of my SGL31-94 since they were not really what I expected
View Quote

Curious to know more about this, if you don't mind

Z
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Z
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[M

Z

Probably because of aesthetic reasons. Aesthetically, the SLR-104FR rifles are more "correct" than the SGL31-94 rifles. The SGL31-94 was meant to be a factory semi-auto clone of the AK-74M, but in order for it to be "correct" it needs a pistol grip reinforcement plate and punch-pressed dimples on the gas block and front sight base. Also, the trigger guards are the Bulgarian square-tab type, and many of these had the right side, top rear rivet (long rivet) pressed in too deeply which caused a "halo" indentation around the rivet in the receiver. The rear trunnion and side folding stock also had slots milled out of them since they were parts made for the Russian civilian market and not for the military (the slots allowed for a mechanism that would prevent the shooter from firing the rifle with the stock folded, which apparently is a no-go in Russia).

The SLR-104FR rifles are, right out of the box, factory "correct" for an early 1980s era Russian AKS-74, or any Bulgarian AKS-74. But all of these things are aesthetic. Looking at both, the SLR and SGL rifles are solid shooters.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted: The rear trunnion and side folding stock also had slots milled out of them since they were parts made for the Russian civilian market and not for the military (the slots allowed for a mechanism that would prevent the shooter from firing the rifle with the stock folded, which apparently is a no-go in Russia).
View Quote

I swapped out my SGL's 5.5mm pin for a pin with no groove.  Luckily I had an extra from an older kit build.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Probably because of aesthetic reasons. Aesthetically, the SLR-104FR rifles are more "correct" than the SGL31-94 rifles. The SGL31-94 was meant to be a factory semi-auto clone of the AK-74M, but in order for it to be "correct" it needs a pistol grip reinforcement plate and punch-pressed dimples on the gas block and front sight base. Also, the trigger guards are the Bulgarian square-tab type, and many of these had the right side, top rear rivet (long rivet) pressed in too deeply which caused a "halo" indentation around the rivet in the receiver. The rear trunnion and side folding stock also had slots milled out of them since they were parts made for the Russian civilian market and not for the military (the slots allowed for a mechanism that would prevent the shooter from firing the rifle with the stock folded, which apparently is a no-go in Russia).

The SLR-104FR rifles are, right out of the box, factory "correct" for an early 1980s era Russian AKS-74, or any Bulgarian AKS-74. But all of these things are aesthetic. Looking at both, the SLR and SGL rifles are solid shooters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[M

Z

Certainly no disagreement but I found the SGL not so difficult to get into 74M configuration. It would have been better if they could have been imported in the exact factory configuration but at least most of it was already done. Mario at PoHF did the dimple work and PG plate as well as selector markings. I left the TG in because I wasn't after perfection. All said and done I've been more than happy with my SGLs and after almost 5 years of owning my first SGL31 I am still happy as all get out that I have these in the collection

Mario did these two

Higher Res
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/AK105_74M_Left01.JPG

Quoted:

I swapped out my SGL's 5.5mm pin for a pin with no groove.  Luckily I had an extra from an older kit build.

Me also. I don't mind the trunnion parts being cut with the slot but the pin was very annoying.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:24:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Certainly no disagreement but I found the SGL not so difficult to get into 74M configuration. It would have been better if they could have been imported in the exact factory configuration but at least most of it was already done. Mario at PoHF did the dimple work and PG plate as well as selector markings. I left the TG in because I wasn't after perfection. All said and done I've been more than happy with my SGLs and after almost 5 years of owning my first SGL31 I am still happy as all get out that I have these in the collection

Mario did these two

View Quote

Those are beautiful rifles. That is how they should have been imported and it's a pity Arsenal cut corners when converting them (they could have at least put the pg reinforcement plate on). Those two are definitely keepers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#16]
No dog in this fight but I've dumped tins of ammo through both.

SGL-31 and a SLR-105. While not the same as the OP asked about, I find the Bulgarian models more interesting.

Nothing to back that up, other than the true to spec 74 pattern.

Also what are you looking to accomplish? If you want a shooter - either will serve you well. Do you want an AK-74M - if so get the SGL. Do you want to replicate a plum or wood stocked afghan era 74 - go with the 104.

If you come from the AR side of things it's similar to asking about a Daniel Defense or LMT rifle. You're getting higher echelon quality gear, the outcome is fantastic either way.

I've consolidated into 3 main calibers, 5.56x45 / 7.62x39 / 9mm. If I were still into 5.45 I would have bought the 104 FR and UR in a heartbeat.

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Those are beautiful rifles. That is how they should have been imported and it's a pity Arsenal cut corners when converting them (they could have at least put the pg reinforcement plate on). Those two are definitely keepers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mario did these two

I agree.  It is not like we did not express as much in all the forums.  It would have been easy for them to do.  It is also pretty much proof that the SLR's come into the country that way IMO.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Zen, I'm just curous-  Did the bottom rifle come with that buttstock (No slot in the bottom rear of the plastic) ?  Mine came with the newer stock with the slot but when I swapped pins I also swapped stocks.   The one that came with the gun would fold on its own at the slightest touch, and was really annoying.  I remember IM'ing you about a year ago about it.

The stock I swapped it for was very tight and elimated the problem.  With the naked eye, I can't tell what the difference is between them.  I was going to start a new thread with photos and ask for suggestions, but when a simple swap solved the problem I never posted about that.  So, I guess that would be my only complaint about the Russian SGL.  I don't think anyone else ever posted similar problems with the weak latch.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Both of these were the original fixed stock SGL31-44's that were converted to folders.  I acquired the stocks at different times, for a while the newer versions with the grenade pad slot were all I could find.

I remember we talked about your stock. In my experience the tightness of stocks has a lot to do with the flat part that makes contact with the latch; they are not all made identically.  I've had SVDS folders that will fit one trunnion but not others, 5.5 triangle folders that will not fit where polymers will and other combinations.

I used to mix and match quite a bit and over the years noticed various  inconsistencies.

Z
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Z
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[M

Z

Someone asked the same thing on the other forum...
Pretty much reasons that -XTRM1NATR- listed above.

In short, I MUCH prefer having the SLR-104FR.
You can watch my Arsenal SLR-104FR Video Review, its long.... I know, we all know.
104FR is a 100% correct AKS74, all Steel/Metal parts were absolutely untouched except the lugs were finished in Las Vegas.

Here's what I don't really like about the SGL rifles.
Keep in mind, like I mentioned in my video, I use to own 4 SGL31-95
>SGL Folding stock- $1350(new price), or $1150 (old price)
Some things I don't really like---- front sight base and gas block installed in Las Vegas not rare to have canted FSB and GB, repainted with US paint, with a commercial SAIGA marked receiver, still have the extra SAIGA trigger hole in the receiver weakens the receiver near the PG area and still missing PG reinforcement plate for the folding stock model, Bulgarian trigger guard, missing proper 'up arrow inside triangle' Izhmash stamp on front trunion(2013 guns), commercial folding 5.5mm pin, commercial rear trunion for folding stock, US installed rear trunion they really did a horrible job with riveting the rear trunion, the S/N markings on the FIME SGL looks terrible IMO (big dots on their dot matrix numbering).

Additional personal issues...
2 of my 4 SGL31 have slight canted sights.
1 of them have major fitting issue with handguard retainer.
1 of them have minor rusted gastube.
3 of 4 have movement for the pin that holds the mag release lever, including my friend's SGL21-94.

BTW, all 4 of my SGL31 were Arsenal import manufactured in 2009.
Pictured below are 2 of the 4 SGL31-95 I got.
Notice the finish on the receiver is US painted, it has a different hue and texture.

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#21]
All right Gentlemen, please stop picking on the SGL, your making me want to throw mine out
Link Posted: 2/1/2014 7:22:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Nothing wrong with any of them, I never understood trying to get exact factory copies, as once fielded they would not be kept in that configuration anyway.  I never in my 9yrs of service was issued 2 rifles that were the same in every detail.  It might  just be me being a combat veteran but I have allot of love for the BF pick up and kyhber pass look for that true combat weapon look instead of a museum piece.  So it is more really for you if you said for yourself you find yourself becoming a gun snob then grab the SLR it would probably speak to you more.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top