Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/3/2013 10:07:02 AM EDT
Saw one of my suppliers get a shipment of Arsenal SAM7-SFs in today, so I decided to pull the trigger on it. Was originally thinking of going with the SAM7-K pistol and eventually SBRing it, but that project will have to wait.  I guess the lift for my Toyota Tacoma will have to wait too.

Also picked up 2 bulgy waffle mags, 2 bulgy straight body polymer 30rd mags and 2 bulgy polymer 40rd mags. Hopefully the Magpul variety will be out soon too.  

Pictures once she gets here. Now I'm on the hunt for ammo, preferably non-magnetic so I can shoot it at the local indoor range at our weekly rifle league event.

Mod plan:
Burris FF3 in an MI rear sight mount
MI extended length rail
Streamlight TLR-1 HL
AFG or VFG
Notch or replace safety to hold bolt open when racked.  The Ambi lever may present a challenge there.

Pretty excited, until the bill arrives......
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Just heard from the distributor, shipping today and will be here tomorrow!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#2]
ive had mine a little over 2 weeks.

did a full review for people on the fence about these rifles.

you can look in the thread topics down below and find it.

cheers and try to resist mucking it up too much with a bunch of add on crap. its stellar out of the box.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
try to resist mucking it up too much with a bunch of add on crap. its stellar out of the box.
View Quote

+1 on this. I would recommend just shooting it for a while in stock form.

The only mod I did to mine was to wrap the metal stock in 550 paracord.
The only add ons I'm considering are the RS tac light rail and a side scope mount with a fixed 3.5x or 4x optic.

http://rsregulate.com/accessory.php
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
try to resist mucking it up too much with a bunch of add on crap. its stellar out of the box.
View Quote

There is no need to add anything but ammunition to that which has changed the game.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
What is the going rate for the SF model now?
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

There is no need to add anything but ammunition to that which has changed the game.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly!
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I was going to order everything from the CAA and Tapco catalogs, are you guys saying not to?

I'll be making some changes, and I'm sure the purists will freak, but it is my AK.  I expect this rifle to meet the performance levels of my ARs, which means optics, white light, possibly a laser*, possibly an AFG/VFG and QD 2-point sling.  I tend to run my AR stocks very short due to my shooting style, so if the folding triangle proves too long, I'll have to figure something out there.  I'm hoping to NOT add an AR stock to it......

*I've added a green CT laser to my SBR 9mm AR, and I'm really starting to like it.  I've got CT lasers on both my EDC gun (S&W M&P40) and my backup (S&W M&P340.)  Just another tool in the tool box.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is the going rate for the SF model now?
View Quote

Not sure where you are, but I'd price it at $1,369.86+tax for my customers.....
(Home-based FFL/SOT, just transfers and special orders.....)

Link Posted: 10/4/2013 1:34:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Sammy has arrived!!

Overall, I'm impressed with this rifle right out of the box.  I'll have a chance to shoot it tonight (hopefully) to give it a nice shakedown.  I do find the folding stock to be a bit long for my shooting style, so I might have to look into alternatives at some point.  But that is not a deal breaker.  Also, here are some impressions about this rifle for left-handed shooters (I shoot rifles left-handed.)

1.)  The left side lever for the safety works very well for lefties.  It is unobtrusive enough that I don't notice it when holding the grip and pulling the trigger.  It also makes taking the rifle off safe very easy with your trigger finger.  If you are used to manipulating an AR selector this way, it will be a very short learning curve on the SAM7-SF.
2.)  Charging handle on the right side is obviously "lefty friendly."
3.)  Right side folding stock is also "lefty friendly", as you can maintain a firing grip with your left hand while you open and lock the stock with your right hand.
4.)  Magazine release is naturally ambidextrous.  On my ARs, I don't use an ambi mag release, having trained to use my right thumb to hit the button while I strip the mag out with my right hand.  If you lefties operate your AR the same way, this will also be a short learning curve.

What is NOT lefty friendly: Sling mounts.  As far as I can tell, I'll have to figure out some way to rig up QD cups to run my preferred 2 point sling on this rifle.  A Magpul RSA mounted on the soon-to-be-installed rail will solve the front mounting issue, but I'll have to figure something out for the back.

Here are a few additional pictures, just verifying specs, etc.

Length folded: 28" 1/2"

Length open: 38" 1/4"

Weight: Right at 8.0 lbs

Trigger pull: between 3.5lbs and 4.5lbs, depending on where I place the gauge on the trigger.  
Trigger travel: about 1/4", with no over-travel
Trigger is a "double hook" design.

I did pick up a few 30rd and 40rd mags of Bulgarian manufacture.  I've ordered some Bulgy waffle mags, which should be better than these.  I can't really tell who makes them, but there is one marking on them besides the caliber:

They rock side to side pretty good, and a little front to back as well.  I hope they are at least reliable enough for range use.  They weren't super expensive like the waffle mags were, but at $20 each, not exactly cheap either.

Anyway, I can barely wait until later tonight so I can shoot it!
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Sweet rifle.  Those mags are commercial Bulgarian.  They should be perfect for range use.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]
The downside here is that you pretty much bought the worst AK possible for changing out the stock.  There are literally zero alternatives that fit that rifle without major modifications.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The downside here is that you pretty much bought the worst AK possible for changing out the stock.  There are literally zero alternatives that fit that rifle without major modifications.
View Quote

FML.  . Or really, First World Problems.........

I'm sure the aftermarket will catch on at some point, so I'll have to live with it for now. Or get very creative on my own.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The piece that connects this folder to the back of the receiver does not come off? It looks like it bolts right on to the back like the ACE external block
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The piece that connects this folder to the back of the receiver does not come off? It looks like it bolts right on to the back like the ACE external block
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Negative. It's permanently fixed. Its designed to be rugged and smash skulls if need be.

Changing it would be a minor crime
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#15]
May be a minor complaint, but these don't come with a cleaning rod? Looks incomplete without one.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 3:38:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
May be a minor complaint, but these don't come with a cleaning rod? Looks incomplete without one.
View Quote

I think you can add one, but it may interfere with the stock latch.  I believe a two piece rod comes in the box.  Definitely in for the answer, I agree with you.

I'm still on the fence about this purchase.  I really want one, but the extra length is the only thing holding me back.  The triangle side folders were perfect for me.  I understand why they "upgraded" the design.  It makes sense for modern shooters.  But I don't like optics on "collector guns" as I feel they ruin the shooting "experience" of that particular design.  This is just my opinion and I understand if you feel differently.  No arguments here.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 6:47:25 AM EDT
[#17]
There is a take-apart rod in the box,

Also, she shoots and handles VERY well.  Put 40 rounds through her last night (not tested for accuracy though) at our weekly rifle league.  That is an indoor USPSA-type setup where we engage 10 targets with 2 rounds each from a rifle, then 3 targets with 2 rounds each with a pistol while being timed. Max range is about 25 yards. Anyway, with the nice trigger and pretty effective brake, controlled pairs and hammers were pretty easy. I was shooting Arsenal 122gr FMJ ammo (brass case, copper jacketed bullets)

I screwed up and forgot to ask a buddy to record one of the runs. Next time........
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is a take-apart rod in the box,
View Quote

Correct......its a 2pc cleaning rod, and just like on the original Bulgarian AR-M9F, you can leave the front portion of it installed. It will just wobble a tad bit more than a traditional 1pc cleaning rod. The cleaning rod has to be a 2pc, as at full length, it will not go all the way in with the right-side latch mechanism.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
But I don't like optics on "collector guns" as I feel they ruin the shooting "experience" of that particular design.
View Quote

Despite Arsenal's corney branding of the SAM7SF, as the Game Changer, this is really more of a Shooter gun than a Collector gun. Arsenal's line of $2,000 Classic rifles more so Collector guns, as they are original Bulgarian Type 3 design (AKK) with pretty baby poo furniture-n-stuff.

With the amount of Bulgarian-made milled rifles that Arsenal has flooded the market with in the last year, to include the SAM7SF, their value will not be increasing as fast as they have in the past. Arsenal has never pumped out this amount of milled rifles. This fact, along with Kvar's high prices, is probably a big part of why they have most every milled rifle in stock.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Negative. It's permanently fixed. Its designed to be rugged and smash skulls if need be.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It appears based on the pictures the only way you're going to be able to shorten that stock is to cut the end off it and have the parts shortened to your preferred length.

Regardless, that is a beautiful rifle and if I had the money for it right now, one would be in my safe.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#21]
If you shorten the stock, it will no longer match up to the side latch.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you shorten the stock, it will no longer match up to the side latch.
View Quote

Hadn't even thought of that.  Looks like the stock length is something I'll just have to get used to.  There may be a solution someday that will allow for adjustable stock length, but it would have to set at a certain mark for locking closed when folded.  So it would have to be a well-engineered and thought out stock, meaning it will likely be expensive......

As I plan to run a red dot, eye relief shouldn't be an issue, so I'll just learn to accept the stock length. For a magnified optic, I'll just have to keep an eye on the eye relief specs.  Based on my shooting stance, my left eye is about 5" from the top of the dust cover, and 13" from the rear sight.  Looking at some videos of others shooting this rifle, they get their nose a lot closer to the rear of the receiver.  I keep my torso pretty much square to the target, while many of these shooters are blading a little.....

Also, other than the M1 Garand and 1903A3 I got from my dad, I don't have "collector" guns, I have shooters.  Even my "collector" guns will get fired too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Got a few more bits in today for the SAM7SF:
Burris Fast Fire III with protector wings
MI AK mini dot mount
2 Bulgy Circle 10 mags.

Those Circle 10 mags are nice!  I just wanted to order 2 to make sure they were exactly what I was expecting, so I'll be ordering more very soon.  Good thing my distributor has over 4,000 in stock right now.  They have Romanian 75rd drums too (over 800 on hand), might toss one of those on the next order.  Description says "Century Arms Romanian 75rd Drum, part # MAAK78".  I assume that is a decent drum?

Still waiting on the MI rail and Magpul RSA sling mount, and then she'll be close to done (arriving tomorrow or Friday).  Only possible addition after that is a Surefire flash hider mount and a SOCOM 762Mini suppressor.  As an SOT, I feel it is my duty to have a suppressed AK available for demo!  

Now if that ammo order would show up soon, I'll be real happy!
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Pretty cool. If I had the cheddar I'd snag one. Just looks cool.
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Ive got a case of ammo through mine. Typical arsenal. Just runs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 4:17:50 AM EDT
[#26]
slick rifle.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#27]
OK, the last of the goodies have arrived!

The setup:
Paracord wrapped folder to get a sling mounting point for my SKT Industries 2 point sling with HK Snap hooks.
MI Industries AK47 Extended Rail
Magpul RSA for snap hook slings
MI Industries AK Dot Mount for Burris
Burris Fast Fire III with protector wings
Streamlight TLR-1 HL with pressure switch back plate
Streamlight pressure switch
Bulgarian Circle 10 Waffle 30rd mag

I'm very happy with how this setup turned out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#28]
That's a lot of rails to just run a tac light. I would have thought' you'd put the red dot on the top rail, and a Magpul AFG on the bottom rail.
I'm curious what you rifle weighs after all the upgrades?
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's a lot of rails to just run a tac light. I would have thought' you'd put the red dot on the top rail, and a Magpul AFG on the bottom rail.
I'm curious what you rifle weighs after all the upgrades?
View Quote

I may move the MRD up to the top cover at some point.  The drawback there is no rear BUIS option without removing it, although I think the MI MRD-specific top covers lower the sight and allow for a cowitness.  The back of the Burris has a vertical white line to use as an expedient BUIS.  But if I want to throw on a magnified scope with a scope mount, that MI mount will get in the way.  That was not something I realized when I ordered it.

I may try a Magpul VFG or AFG on the there (I can take one off my other guns).  But the extra rail space is just a consequence of where I wanted the light, pressure pad, and the need for a right-side sling mount.  If I put them on a traditional length rail, I've got no room left for my hands.  Something I've learned from 7" AR rails, which is why my ARs all have 9.5" or longer rails on them (except my PWS Diablo SBR....)

Throwing her on the same scale, I certainly have porked her up though.  Out of the box was 8lbs 2oz, where she now sits at 9lbs 6oz.  That is a 20oz weight increase (+15%), so not insignificant.  The beauty is that all of the changes can be easily reversed, not like installing a FF rail on an AR.  More like installing a Knight's RAS.  So if I decide I don't like it (I doubt that), I can swap things around.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Got some time to sight in the Burris today.

50 yards, sunny, 56 degrees, 76% humidity, ~400 ft elevation.
SAM7SF with Burris FF3 3.5 MOA dot
TulAmmo 122 grain FMJ
10 rounds
Each square is 1"

Overall, I find that acceptable.  Pretty sure the 3 fliers are from me, not the gun. Bright sun on the target, red dot on red squares plus astigmatism makes achieving accuracy difficult. That and the ammo is pretty mediocre. A magnified scope and some good ammo or hand loads would be needed for real testing.  I only had time to get the red dot dialed in.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top