Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/30/2012 3:42:26 PM EDT
I am looking at getting an ak and the slr 101s is locally available.  I've read the reviews of the milled vs stamped and I can't say I am any clearer on my confusion other than I don't think it makes much difference in performance but it adds more to the price and is a little heavier.  But considering my alternatives is a yugo pap or Romanians I think I would be more comfortable with the milled receiver and arsenal quality.  Couple of questions though, is this close to a mil spec ak? Does it have the double stack bolt as opposed to the single stacks on the Paps and wasr's.  Also, I really don't like the NATO stock.  I would want to add the Magpul ctr stock.  If I read correctly, all I need is to do is remove the NATO stock and add a vltor buffer tube (2 screws) and slide the ctr on correct?  I have run into reference to Ace blocks and pig noses but I'm not sure what those are used for, is that only for folding stocks?  I don't need a folder.  I also saw references on tangs needing to be removed and have no idea what that is all about.

These Aks are a different world....I'm a fish out of water here!
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking at getting an ak and the slr 101s is locally available.  I've read the reviews of the milled vs stamped and I can't say I am any clearer on my confusion other than I don't think it makes much difference in performance but it adds more to the price and is a little heavier.  But considering my alternatives is a yugo pap or Romanians I think I would be more comfortable with the milled receiver and arsenal quality.  Couple of questions though, is this close to a mil spec ak? Does it have the double stack bolt as opposed to the single stacks on the Paps and wasr's.  Also, I really don't like the NATO stock.  I would want to add the Magpul ctr stock.  If I read correctly, all I need is to do is remove the NATO stock and add a vltor buffer tube (2 screws) and slide the ctr on correct?  I have run into reference to Ace blocks and pig noses but I'm not sure what those are used for, is that only for folding stocks?  I don't need a folder.  I also saw references on tangs needing to be removed and have no idea what that is all about.

Milled are more accurate.
Vltor will not work on a milled AK
Most aftermarket buffer tubes require cutting off the bottom tang.
I took a CAA buffer tube and had to heavily modify it to get it to work with out cutting off the tang.

here is my slr-101s

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took a CAA buffer tube and had to heavily modify it to get it to work with out cutting off the tang.

here is my slr-101s

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44793

You sir, must be a pimp, because that is a pimp gun! What finish did you use on the steel?  Tell us more.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

here is my slr-101s

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44793

You sir, must be a pimp, because that is a pimp gun! What finish did you use on the steel?  Tell us more.

It is nib-x, I had all the parts done since the finish on the slr101s sucked.

Here is the bolt

Inside Receiver

bolt carrier, guide rod
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The 101's are the best value in AK's currently.  You may decide you like the
stock.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Drop me a line if you pull the stock off, as I'm looking for one foe a Bulgy milled AK I'm restoring. Good luck, you'll love the SLR-101S. I love mine.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Milled AK's are marginally more accurate, if any more accurate at all. The quality of the barrel is far more influential in accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Milled AK's are marginally more accurate, if any more accurate at all. The quality of the barrel is far more influential in accuracy.

I'm not sure what your are trying state here. All things being equal, even if by your account "marginally", it still makes it more accurate...
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Digital Damage, is that a single stack bolt?  I was looking at the photos of the single vs double and it looks like a single.

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Digital Damage,
Could we see more pictures of the CCA buffer tube? I've been interested in putting a CTR on my SAM7. Does the slant of the receiver put the stock at the right angle? Or does one need to get the Ace slant adapter to correct the angle?

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top