Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2012 6:13:04 PM EDT
What's up guys,  it's been awhile . Anyways, I just wanted opinions on my next AK. I bought my first AK a few years ago and loved it but (regretfully) ended up selling it and ever since have been trying to find another one with no success (Arsenal SAM7A1R) .... I got on Arsenal inc to find an almost identical rifle now available again at a decent price (SLR-101S). So before taking the plunge, I'm trying to be smart this time and ask your opinions on this rifle and hopefully get some thoughts on where the best place to buy it at. I know you can't talk much about vendor pricing on here but , I can say the cheapest I've seen it for is $966 w/free shipping.  I was hoping someone could PM me if you know about a better price. Is it a smart move buying this rifle now?
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/146227_SGL_21_or_SLR_101_.html

Read and form your own decision
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Your price looks fine.

Yes, it's a good idea to get one, I picked one up Wednesday.

It is my first AK and a great rifle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]
You can't go wrong getting one of those. I also have a SAM7A1R, and LOVE it. I wouldn't hesitate to get one of the new 101's.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine arrived today at my FFL.Wont be able to get it until next week though.One hell of a deal on a milled Arsenal.

$952 + $6 shipping is what i paid for mine.Made it to my FFL in 3 days.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as the cost is not an issue I say go for it. I can't imagine you being unhappy with this particular gun.

I really like mine. Good shooter.

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:11:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys! All the info is appreciated? I think I'll pick one up. Looks like $958 shipped is the best price one can be had for ?
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

... Looks like $958 shipped is the best price one can be had for ?

I did a little looking around just out of curiosity. If the purchase is being primarily price driven then I think you should go with whatever vendor you've identified that will sell for the price you have listed.

If you have any concerns regarding service after the sale then I'd suggest Atlantic as they have documented superior customer service for folks who end up having issues of any sort with their purchased guns.

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an SLR-101S, besides my personal preferences (wanted an adjustable stock). The only gripe I have is the finish is very weak. I know Ill upset a lot of the purist out there, but I just sent mine of to get the whole thing striped and coated in Nib-X. Other than that it is a top of the line Milled AK at $900-$965 it is totally worth it. .
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Ok thanks again, I ended buying two slr-101's rifles!  Ok so now where is the cheapest place for Bulgarian waffle mags circle 10? Also, do you think these slr-101s rifles are topped out value wise or do they have potential to rise even higher? Just wondering if this is a "investment" as well? Am I paying the "premium" because of the whole election coming up? or has that even hit yet?
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 12:20:26 PM EDT
[#10]
SLR101S will definitely hold their value, and depends on the situation of importation and future laws, it will rise in price.
The SLR101S value is hands down the best in AK market right now.
There is only a $70 difference between SGL21 and SLR101S, pretty sure its worth the extra couple bucks.
The SAM7 series with US made milled receivers are $500 more than SLR101.

On the side note, I really enjoy how the SLR101S is already a exact clone of a true military configuration rifle that Arsenal Bulgaria sells for Mil Contracts.
The only thing 'wrong' is the D marked rear sight.
If you ignore the 922r, and buy the Bulgarian milled furniture set, SLR95 Disconnector and Hammer, you will have an exact clone thats fully Bulgarian made.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Can you post a link to those item for me? Im interested. Also any suggestions on what mags to get? Ive seen videos of some reddish/brown mags that look pretty neat, id like to get one or two of those as well. I just wanted reliable and durable mags with the best price. Not sure where to look. Links to producs would be great! Im going on a buying spree this weekend lol. You only live once right?
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#12]
These are underpriced imho right now.They will only go UP in price 100% guarantee it.Im going to use mine  and use it hard like it was supposed to be used.
After the election which ever way the election goes these will not drop in price only go up.Your getting a lot of rifle for the money.

Im going to put a laminate wood stock set on mine and put the polymer away.I just prefer wood over polymer on a AK rifle.Not correct, but thats what i want mine to be.
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I agree that these are under priced right now as well. When compared to other AK's on the market right now, these are only a few bucks higher than the higher end stamped rifles out there.

Basically I look at it like this...
When was the last time you saw a (NIB) milled "pre-ban" AK for under a thousand bucks?  Uh, never...

SA M7's are going for $1500 and are the closest thing available for comparison. They are the same rifle except that they use an US receiver, so IMO the SLR-101 is a better choice really.
Hell SLR-95's have been approaching the price of the SLR-101's while still  in ban configuration.

So if you consider the current prices of the nearest AK's compared to the 101's I'd say it's one HELL OF A DEAL!

I'm thinking about buying more myself and putting them up for a while. I have no doubt what so ever that they'll be going for an easy $1500 all day long in the near future.
So if you have the money to tie up for a while I'd say they are a definite investment.

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Mags/ Ammo? Where and what to buy? Anyone?
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn it...

I really want more of these right now, as I doubt they'll be around for long (at least at this price).

But my stupid expensive 1911 habit is getting in the way.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top