Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/22/2012 3:14:25 PM EDT
Edited to make sense.
I'm interested in an AK.

I'm a Traditional AR guy, but i want more flavors.

I want to build this

out of a AK .308.

I figure, 308 is more available here than 7.62x54R nad has better ballistics.

is it possible to convert a saiga, put STANDARD AK47/74 handguards on it (black polymer) and the folding stock?

is there a 10/20 round metal or polymer mag that resembles the SVD's?

d or polymer handguards
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Your post is a bit confusing to me but here are pictures of my .308 Saiga.

The VEPR is also imported in .308 available in several styles.  I believe someone has one set up with a modified replacement stock like you appear to want.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 3:27:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a 308 saiga and convert it
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Edited to make sense.
I'm interested in an AK.

I'm a Traditional AR guy, but i want more flavors.

I want to build this

out of a AK .308.

I figure, 308 is more available here than 7.62x54R nad has better ballistics.

is it possible to convert a saiga, put STANDARD AK47/74 handguards on it (black polymer) and the folding stock?

is there a 10/20 round metal or polymer mag that resembles the SVD's?

Link Posted: 8/22/2012 4:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I chopped up a few things in Paint

this is what i want to build.

i know thats easily done.

is it possible to put SVD handguards on it?

this is a Saiga .308 with  a SVD front end somehow mounted on it.

Link Posted: 8/22/2012 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Saiga .308 metal mags

handguard retainer for AK type handguards

The stock would probably work on a .308 Saiga as regular AK stocks fit but it should be done by someone with the expertise to install it correctly with the right equipment.  Someone here can tell you who best to do it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#6]
There's some adapters available that make it possible to use SVD handguards on a PSL, but I'm not aware of any for the .308 Saiga or Vepr.

You have to understand that the picture you used as a reference is a SVDS. It is built much different from any AK. You can however make it look similar, but it's not going to be an exact clone. There is a Saiga-12 folding stock that looks similar to that, but I believe it folds to the left instead of the right, not sure about that though. You can also opt to install a 100 series side folder. Using a triangle folding stock you can install a SVD cheekrest on it, though it obviously won't be the same setup.

In regards to magazines, any .308 AK magazine won't look like the SVD mag. They're typically a more box style instead of the curved layout from the 54R rounds. There's a few choices out there for the Saiga, whereas there should be less for the Vepr.

Honestly I think the best bet would be to keep an eye out for a .308 NDM-86, but you may not be willing to shell out the $ for one. Though a folding stock option would go out the window unless you threw alot more money at it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Go check out the VEPR thread in the Russian forum which shows rifles similar to what you want to do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#8]
The 'SAIGA12" forum is your friend. I put a Romy side folder on the back of my 308 Saiga. The 308 Saiga is the easiest Saiga to restore.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
You cant make a tger out of an AK.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Internally Tigers are a different beast than an AK. So function wise you won't be able to make a replica.
However, you could make one look somewhat similar.
Black Horse Arsenal is coming out with(or maybe it's already released, not sure) SVD style furniture for the VEPR that should fit the bill.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#12]
You will have to get a second job just to pay for the ammo on a .308 AK.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2012 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You will have to get a second job just to pay for the ammo on a .308 AK.    

Glad I got in when the .308 Saiga was well under $300.00 and ammo was $168.00 for 1,000 rounds. A 7.62x54r rifle makes more sense with ammo cost for most now.

Link Posted: 8/22/2012 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc310/bh_4000/PSL%20Range%20Day/06a64472.jpg

Would love tyo know how he got the handguards on there.  Looks like custom metal retainers.  Where did you find that pic? Who is DSMlabs?
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 1:33:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc310/bh_4000/PSL%20Range%20Day/06a64472.jpg

Would love tyo know how he got the handguards on there.  Looks like custom metal retainers.  Where did you find that pic? Who is DSMlabs?

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82848

http://thedsmlab.com/s308_to_SVD_project.html
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 2:36:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Get a Vepr, fix it up the way you want, and never look back.

Link Posted: 9/14/2012 2:02:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

VEPRS are no where to be found.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 2:20:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Try:
  "armsofamerica"
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Black Horse Arsenal makes SVD style handguards that fit VEPRs and Saigas.
The stock you are wanting is pretty rare here in the U.S. and quite expensive when they come up for sale. You may be better off getting the more traditional looking SVD style stock. Black Horse Arsenal sells a couple different kinds that fit the Saiga and VEPR.
http://blackhorsearsenal.gostorego.com/

Here's a .308 VEPR at Centerfire:
http://centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN-VEPR-308.aspx
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

HAHAHA, Are you serious?

VEPR at Atlantic Firearms

They've been around for a while.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#21]

still an AK
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 8:58:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Krebs makes a cool rifle in 308 and got a great review from FAC on the Military Arms channel . Carolina shooter ssupply has a run of them available at 1800 ish!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Check that Atlantic FireARMSM HAS The Krebs  308 Socom available $ 1975  and a video review from FAC on it with its Mako quad rail handguard and Krebs dustcover rail and collapsable Vltor stock ,tuned trigger !!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
...You have to understand that the picture you used as a reference is a SVDS. It is built much different from any AK....

In regards to magazines, any .308 AK magazine won't look like the SVD mag. They're typically a more box style instead of the curved layout from the 54R rounds. There's a few choices out there for the Saiga, whereas there should be less for the Vepr.

Honestly I think the best bet would be to keep an eye out for a .308 NDM-86, but you may not be willing to shell out the $ for one. Though a folding stock option would go out the window unless you threw alot more money at it.

^^^^^^
This.

The NDM has spiked a bit in .308 lately. The NDM, SVD and the SVDS you pictured use a completely different gas system than the AK.

HOWEVER, you can score a .308 PSL once in a while on Gun Broker. If you look currently, some douchebag is trying to get $1800 for his (Apache Arms, a well-known purveyor of overpriced SVDs and "dragunovs" of all kinds, including the PSL, which is not really a Dragunov at all.)

Anyway, I saw one of the 308s go pretty cheap ($970) a few months ago, and in hindsight, it was a steal, though the .308 PSL mags cost more than many complete pistols!

If I was hard up for a SVDS clone based on an AK, in .308, I might buy a PSL-type receiver, a PSL build kit without barrel (Apex has them with #s matching), and then have a custom .308 barrel fabbed by a pro. Then, I would find an Airsoft SVDS (yes, Airsoft) with the folder you show installed. Some Airsofts are all metal. If the stock was sturdy enough, you could retrofit it to the PSL receiver and have one bitchin gun.

OR, you could buy the $2800 SVD Tiger on gunbroker right now (offer them ~  $2000, as it's missing almost all accessories) have it fitted with a custom .308 barrel, and then fab a folding stock to fit it. Then you'd have a .308 SVDS Tiger, which if properly done would be the most kickass gun ever made. I would love to see that!

Finally, the easy way out might be a Yugo M76 in .308 with the SVDS stock, and SVD handguards.

-sf

Link Posted: 9/15/2012 1:15:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If I was hard up for a SVDS clone based on an AK, in .308, I might buy a PSL-type receiver, a PSL build kit without barrel (Apex has them with #s matching), and then have a custom .308 barrel fabbed by a pro. Then, I would find an Airsoft SVDS (yes, Airsoft) with the folder you show installed. Some Airsofts are all metal. If the stock was sturdy enough, you could retrofit it to the PSL receiver and have one bitchin gun.

You've got some good ideas and info there but I don't know if I'd go to all that trouble and run an airsoft part, even something like a stock. Not that it would be unsafe if done properly, but I would think it's worth the extra $300 or so over the purchase of the airsoft gun to get the real deal, but then again you're gonna need to save every penny you can to pay for that barrel... I guess you could chop up the rest of it to try and recoup some of the money.

Definitely some progressive thinking going on there, I'd be really curious to see what the quality is like and how close the rear trunion of a "high end" airsoft is dimensionally to the real deal. Not trying to be debbie downer here, its only a matter of time before someone tries it with the cost of these things

ETA: Just from looking at some pictures for a couple minutes, it looks like the hinge and button assemblies are integral to the receivers, but the stock itself looks pretty damned close on a couple of them and might just fit, if you could find an SVDS trunion.

I saw a few airsoft AK's that were advertised as "tapco style". F'ing hilarious
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top