Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2012 8:39:40 PM EDT
Hello fellows

I'm looking to paracord-wrap my ACE skeleton stock but am looking to thicken it a bit to improve cheekweld. I remember reading somewhere that someone added neoprene underneath the paracord.  Any idea where to obtain neoprene or something similar to add thickness or cushiness?  Or should I try a thicker cord (maybe 750 instead of 550 cord)?
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You could double wrap it like a super cobra weave or use a foam wrap underneath. We used a handkerchief on my bros VZ58 folding stock and it was better than bare metal. It felt better on the cheek but don't go to thick or it will be higher a cheek weld. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 4:05:05 AM EDT
[#2]
There may be an easier solutions fellas. When I briefly used a Romanian side folder, I slit a length of wide fuel line and used that over the strut of the stock prior to doing my 550 wrap. It added some thickness and was much more comfortable. IMHO, I'd swing by the auto parts store and look over their reels of hosing to find the best diameter for your application.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I may have to try the rubber tubing idea.  

I found this guy's youtube channel (Paracordist) where the guy uses a Turkish weave to wrap his hatchet handles and it looks kind of cool.  He used some kind of electrician's friction tape underneath the paracord.  I've also heard of trying tennis racket wrap, it's padded and tacky, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt4ty5WEwc8&feature=list_other&playnext=1&list=SP7FBB08198A5B8C6C

Has anyone tried or seen a similar weave on the ACE skeleton stocks with paracord?   It would be nice if someone had instructions already done on this.

I'm actually looking to raise my cheek weld a bit, so I want it to be somewhat thick.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I did my FAL stock, it's a lot like an ACE

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Man, that was YEARS ago..

Link Posted: 8/14/2012 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#6]
She looks a little different now..

Available plenty of places.

6mil neoprene.

I scored mine locally..

CXS

Link Posted: 8/15/2012 3:22:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Where can you buy the Paracord wrap for cheap again?

I wouldn't mind buying this stuff from McMaster, if they have it.

Anyone know the specs (ie, nylon elastic) of the paracord?
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Wait, did you use neoprene underneath the paracord or not?  And did you use mil-spec or commercial paracord?  I heard the mil-spec stuff is not as soft...
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#9]

The Green wrap is standard Nylon Para-Cord.

The Tan wrap is gutted Para-Cord over 6mil soft Neoprene.

Same Material used on the HSGI Sure-Grip Padded Belt..

CXS

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait, did you use neoprene underneath the paracord or not?  And did you use mil-spec or commercial paracord?  I heard the mil-spec stuff is not as soft...

The Green wrap is standard Nylon Para-Cord.
The Tan wrap is gutted Para-Cord over 6mil soft Neoprene.
Same Material used on the HSGI Sure-Grip Padded Belt..

CXS

CXS,

Where did you find the 6 mil neoprene?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top