Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2012 7:34:57 PM EDT
For example, Colt/Noveske/BCM are names that make top AR-15s.  What are the names for the AK-74?  I am now thinking about getting an AK-74 since I already purchased an Colt SBR and it murder getting it through the ATF paperwork.  Of course, it my first so I guess there is a learn curve involved.  I will not get it for another 6-10 months; so what the hell - get an AK-74 seems like an option to me and I know nothing about the best to the worse so here I am trying to find out who is the best!
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to Kvar.com.   They are pretty proud of their wares, but if you want the best, they'll have something for ya.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Arsenal Inc's SGL-31 Series is probably the most popular and the "best" out there
SGL-31's On K-var

Also:
Krebs Customs
AK-103.com
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty much anything massaged by Rifle Dynamics, Chris Butler (AK103.com), or Krebs Customs. There may be a few others I'm forgetting but they're pretty much top tier rifle makers. They usually use Saiga's for their base rifles though. It's not really a direct comparison per se due to the fact that Novenske and those guess literally machine out their rifles while the AK guys just start with a base imported Russian rifle. They also customize other people's rifles to suit their needs.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
A Ted Marshall built late 80's-early 90's Bulgarian kit build would probably be as nice as you can get for a correct 74, or a Russian kit if you could find one

Like others have mentioned, Chris Butler puts out great rifles, but specializes in the newer AK-100 series stuff. Also check out Troy from InRange for another top notch reputable builder
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The Russian SGL-31 and Bulgarian SLR-105A1R of course.

Link Posted: 8/9/2012 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Izhmash, Radom, and Arsenal of Bulgaria produce the highest quality AKs imo.
The shops the others are mentioning just convert or refinish them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2012 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. These are great sites for AK 74 shopping!
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#8]
"Probably" the Arsenal SGL-31 is the best on the market.
These are built in the Russian Izhmash plant where the AK was originally made and still is.

These are Russian military spec barreled receivers that are imported into the US and converted to full military AK-74 form by Arsenal Inc.
The barrels are full military hard chrome lined.
These are as close as we'll ever get to a real Russian full-auto AK.

Arsenal Inc sells these through many big gun distributors and your local FFL Dealer can order one for you.
K-Var is Arsenal's parts outlet and sells rifles.
Note that with the buying binge, you may have trouble finding one or finding one with the stock color you want.  All original Arsenal rifles have synthetic stocks and hand guards, not wood.  You can replace the synthetic with wood.

Another good source for AK rifles is Atlantic:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/

One note: A number of companies import Russian rifles and convert them here, but as far as I know only Arsenal gets a special barreled action that doesn't have trigger assembly holes in the fear of the receiver.
Izhmash builds these commercial rifles as "Saiga" brand rifles.  These have the trigger unit moved back into the rear of the receiver and use a conventional sporting type butt stock.

In order to convert these, the trigger unit has to be moved forward and the holes in the rear are closed with rivets.
You can see these rivets on the lower rear of the receiver.
Only Arsenal gets a special Saiga rifle without the holes in the rear.
This looks more "authentic" without the extra rivets in the receiver.

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]
As said,

Arsenal: SGL and SLR series
Archer(Beryl)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top