Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2012 7:07:24 AM EDT
Is this stuff dried up?  I can't seem to find any other than at Century for $178 per 1080 rounds.  

Any other sources?
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Not much available in the country right now.  Watch this thread, Bryan from AIM seems to tell people what the deal is with the 5.45 when asked.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_217/218761_I_ve_been_monitoring_your_5_45_and_am_beginning_to_feel_concerned_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#2]
A much as it pains me to say this, the train has left the staion for 7N6 (not the member). I bought 7 cases of 7N6 last year thinking this stuff wouldn't last forever and wish I bought more. I was smart enough to use Silver Bear and Wolf 5.45 for range visits and my cases are collecting interest as they sit in my house.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A much as it pains me to say this, the train has left the staion for 7N6 (not the member). I bought 7 cases of 7N6 last year thinking this stuff wouldn't last forever and wish I bought more. I was smart enough to use Silver Bear and Wolf 5.45 for range visits and my cases are collecting interest as they sit in my house.

Don't get our hopes up like that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#4]
last weekend at a good sized local gun show, I spotted one spam can of 5.45 marked at $220
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get our hopes up like that.

Haha, it wouldn't pain me to say anything when it comes to certain members and their attitude.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't even have a 5.45 rifle, and this bums me out. Was planning on getting one soon.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Several vendors said more was coming in, one i think refused to buy it from an in country supplier as they were asking $20 more per tin. I am betting by the end of August it won't be hard to find if you wanted to load up. In the future though, who knows. A lot of it depends on who wins the election. I DO know magazines are a pain to find at a decent price. No idea when or if more of those are coming in.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Several vendors said more was coming in, one i think refused to buy it from an in country supplier as they were asking $20 more per tin. I am betting by the end of August it won't be hard to find if you wanted to load up. In the future though, who knows. A lot of it depends on who wins the election. I DO know magazines are a pain to find at a decent price. No idea when or if more of those are coming in.

I like your wishful thinking until I reviewed the thread from Brian at Aim Surplus. If there is any truth to his statement, we can only hope the Poles, Romanians, and Bulgarians  import what is left of their 5.45 (7N6) stockpile.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#9]
What the heck happened? 5.45 ammo, mags, and rifles used to be cheap and plentiful! Who bought them all up? No mags, little ammo, a few rifles are turning up now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What the heck happened? 5.45 ammo, mags, and rifles used to be cheap and plentiful! Who bought them all up? No mags, little ammo, a few rifles are turning up now.

As the saying goes "Buy it cheap and stack it deep"   And buy every thing you need before a Presidential Election
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 1:52:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Surplus stuff runs out. It's never an endless supply.  It's just a waiting game now to see when/if more shows up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 5:06:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I got one spam can from a local FFL for $175 out the door a few weeks ago.  I tried talking them down, but they wouldn't budge on the price even after offering to take the crate.  Kind of wish I just took both cans anyways, but I was getting money together for my AK-47 at that time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surplus stuff runs out. It's never an endless supply.  It's just a waiting game now to see when/if more shows up.

I think our govt. is buying it all up to send over to the middle east for training and insurgent supply.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think our govt. is buying it all up to send over to the middle east for training and insurgent supply.

We are supplying Bulgarian 74's to the ANA.

I posted a thread at the turn of the year about it, wouldn't surprise me.

I'm glad I've moved to 5.56 as my primary round, going to keep my 4 tins of 5.45 and my 74 in reserve for the time being.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Im sticking with the 74 for my main rifle. Im kind of excited everybodies ditching there 74's over this, it just means more rifles and parts for me. I just like the round alot more than 5.56 and between the cheap russian fodder that is online cheap and the devastating hornady round it fullfills my needs better. Plus it just is a better rifle and round than anything else out there in my humble little opinion.

I'll pick up a aug when there available to augment my 74's but I was never really that worried about the surplus stuff because I knew it was gonna end some time. More will come in eventually, but for now im content.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Im sticking with the 74 for my main rifle. Im kind of excited everybodies ditching there 74's over this, it just means more rifles and parts for me. I just like the round alot more than 5.56 and between the cheap russian fodder that is online cheap and the devastating hornady round it fullfills my needs better. Plus it just is a better rifle and round than anything else out there in my humble little opinion.

I'll pick up a aug when there available to augment my 74's but I was never really that worried about the surplus stuff because I knew it was gonna end some time. More will come in eventually, but for now im content.

I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom of the 5.45 market falls out and it goes back to what it sued to be. Between the price of mags and now lack of the surplus ammo that everyone likes I dont see this platform getting any more popular

Personally I blame the AR15 uppers in 5.45 for all this mess, before then no one bothered with 5.45 and the tins were like 70 bucks
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Yup, by its nature surplus stuff comes and goes.  And sometimes comes and goes again.

The trick is when you see a killer deal like $120 tins of surplus 5.45, or $10 surplus 5.45 mags, you just assume that it won't last forever and buy as much as you can reasonably afford.  After hearing everyone talk about "the good ol' days" of $99 Wolf 7.62x29 cases, I decided I wasn't going to miss the boat on 5.45, and bought enough to equip the entire Peruvian Army.

My guess would be that we'll see surplus 5.45 again, but not at the old prices.  Still, I think that anything under $200/tin is a good deal.  Not nearly as good as it was, but a good deal nonetheless.  With mil-spec 5.56 running at least $300/case, the 5.45 at $200/case would still be comparatively cheap.  And while the Hornaday ammo is not cheap, it's not insanely expensive either.  A case of Hornaday 5.45 will run you about $370; roughly the same price as a case of M855/SS109 5.56.

I still think 5.45 is worth getting into.  It's just not as cheap as it's been in years past.  Then again, the same could be said for a lot of rifles.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, for what people are continuing to ask for 5.45 rifles, i'm not seeing anyone dumping the round. I WISH they would, but 5.45 rifles are more expensive than 7.62 as a whole from what i'm seeing. Magazines, that is a different story and one that makes absolutely no sense to me. $25 for a surplus magazine is just crazy. Obviously not enough came in to the country.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Century is listing their tin's for $265. Everyone else seems to be sold out. At that price, I'm thinking of selling off some of my stock.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Uhm, is that a case or a tin? For a case (2tins), that is normal to good.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#21]
There are untold millions of rounds sitting in Eastern Bloc countries.  We just need a more business friendly environment to get it moving in our
direction.  Either the transportation cost or the import restrictions just are not favorable right now.  The ammo is there it just might take some
time to get it over here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Uhm, is that a case or a tin? For a case (2tins), that is normal to good.

They call it a case, but its a tin:

Bulgarian mfr., 1991 Mfg. Berdan primed, corrosive, steel core. 30 rds./box, 1,080 rds./case.

*Price per case.

Price: $264.95

I called to confirm the wording. Its per 1080 rounds (plus $12 shipping).
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Yikes! That's a little pricey.  It can't be the shipping costs. Container shipping costs have plummeted and the dollar has strengthened. It would be the importers and surplus sellers in the respective countries jacking up the prices. I think there is also high demand from our own govt.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#24]
SOG shows to have stock at $140 a tin.  I haven't tried placing an order so I don't know if they really have it or not.

Bryan at AIM said that it could dry up after the election in Ukraine (a year ago?).  Several people called BS at the time.  If that was the cause or not, I don't know.  His comment did get me off my ass to order more, realizing it could go away for any number of reasons.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Sportsman's Guide also claims to have it in 30, 300 & 600 round quantities.

The downside is that you'd then have to deal with Sportsman's Guide.  I haven't been a big fan of them since I tried to take them up on their "lowest price guarantee", only to be told they wouldn't honor it because they'd lose money on the deal.  Sorta made me wonder what they think the word "guarantee" means.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
SOG shows to have stock at $140 a tin.  I haven't tried placing an order so I don't know if they really have it or not.

Bryan at AIM said that it could dry up after the election in Ukraine (a year ago?).  Several people called BS at the time.  If that was the cause or not, I don't know.  His comment did get me off my ass to order more, realizing it could go away for any number of reasons.

Well, i ordered two days ago and got mine today. So yeah, i'd say it's still in stock.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#27]
unammo.com still has it in stock
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top