Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/10/2012 3:30:24 PM EDT
As you guys know UW Gear made a custom SVD rig last year that I used to good effect in the BehindLines.net DMR class that Nictra, Auzie and I took. I've said many times how impressed I was with the rig and knew at some point I would get one of their AK74 rigs.

Previously I had used my TT-MAV as my AK rig and have really liked it but I never could use it efficiently for both the AK74 and my NDM86. I tried with limited success in the first BehindLines.net class I took a couple years ago but it didn't run as well as it could have. In this year's class I broke out my trusty LBE since we were doing field manuevers as well as shooting, and combined with the UW SVD rig I had an excellent setup that performed better than I hoped it would. The concept of the dedicated chest rig combined with a 1st line type rig isn't new but I really haven't given it much thought myself. After this year's class I began thinking about using the LBE combined with either an AK or SVD chest rig as needed and decided the time was right to try UW's 74 rig.

UW has a pretty simple design very similar to the Chicom/Lifchik style chest rigs from the 80's. Actually a number of gear makers have designs based around that style and I think for good reason - they work. While the original design can hold 6 these are single pouches for a total of 3 mags but they have molle to attach at least 2 more, so you could run 5+ if you wanted. I asked if they could make me their standard AK74 rig in Survival Corps SURPAT pattern and they kindly agreed. I sent off my extra SURPAT cordura material and they took care of the rest.

It came in the mail this week and my first impressions are really good. Stitching is tight and nicely done, the rig feels very sturdy and it rides very well. I had mentioned I'm not a fan of the H type harness for chest rigs but I have to admit this one feels better than others I have tried in the past. I haven't humped it around in any classes yet but first thoughts are positive on how it rides. I'm thinking it's probably due to the width and thickness of the straps as well as the lower placement of the cross strap that makes it an H. It doesn't seem to sit on the hump which is something that I didn't care for on other H harnesses.

The rig also sits higher than my TT Mav which I like. I believe there's enough material in the straps to let it out some for a lower position. The rig holds 3 AK74 mags with pocket flaps (no bungee retention in this one). The 'snap' is actually a stiff tab that slides under a slot on the front of the pocket. When secured it keeps the mags from rattling around but is easy to open and very quiet. Not silent but more like a swish than a snap sound. Quieter than Velcro by a long shot too. I've seen some comments online where other people seem to like the design and FWIW I like it also. It's interesting and appears to work.

I bought this rig mainly for admin reloads but it can be used for tactical as well. I prefer to do tactical reloads from a lower position on the left side so while I can get mags out reasonably quickly with the UW rig I'm not as fast as a I am with a Taco. I'll need more practice to open the flap and draw the magazine in a speed reload, I've been using the open top Tacos because I have a lot of muscle memory built up. I can do it with the SVD rig prone because I've spent some time with it, this is a little different for me with an AK. Not a big deal and I think with a little practice I'll be almost as quick as I am with the Tacos.

The mag retention tab on the pocket flap has a positive feel when slid into the slot. On two of the 3 cells they goes in smoothly but on the 3rd I have trouble getting it lined up to close properly. I think it may be the angle of that pocket tab but it's tricky for me, it will slide in but I have to fiddle with it a bit. If you're hamfisted like me you can accidently bend the tab somewhat but it's easy to bend straight again. I'm not sure what it's made of and hopefully it won't have longevity issues.

The rig has an open pocket on the back for mag retention or maybe to carry some small gear like a map. It will fit 3 74 mags but only the first goes in smoothly. The second is manageable and the 3rd is a little tricky. Then again I tend to use a dump pouch when I use retention so here again it may be a practice issue. It's also quick disconnect from the armpit fasteners, the front of the straps are sewn into the rig.

Pics:

Dump pouch

Retention tab

With SLR105

AK74 and SVD rig

LBE with Taco's

So far I like this rig quite a bit and it's meeting or exceeding my expectations. I thought it was going to be a simple chicom style rig but it's very well put together, feels much sturdier and wears great so far. I have to practice with it some but out of the box it seems like it's going to run well.

Z
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm digging the mag pouch retention tabs.

Link Posted: 6/10/2012 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I like it! I might have to get one of these...

Link Posted: 6/10/2012 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
For holding only 3 mags I prefer the bandolier.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice. Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Same here.  Looks like they would hold the pouch closed well, and be silent to open and close.  Unlike the stuff I had in the Army that was all velco and snaps
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice review.  Have you tried it out over a plate carrier?  Also, from the pictures it looks like there's a single row of MOLLE attachents on the rear of the H harness - I think I'd like it a bit better if I could attach a hydration pouch on the back.  The vest has 3 pouches - do you think 4 would have fit OK across the chest or that 3 is an optimal number?

Thanks for the writeup!
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 5:20:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice review.  Have you tried it out over a plate carrier?  Also, from the pictures it looks like there's a single row of MOLLE attachents on the rear of the H harness - I think I'd like it a bit better if I could attach a hydration pouch on the back.  The vest has 3 pouches - do you think 4 would have fit OK across the chest or that 3 is an optimal number?

Thanks for the writeup!

From what I know, the UWGear guys are working on an option to add a hydration system to the back, but they told me they are thinking about abandoning it in favor of a separate 3DAP or hydration system. This retains flexibility so if you want something in your pack, you don't have to take your chest rig off. They're "prepared citizen"- minded so their heads are in that space. Which is a good thing. (i had the same question actually!)

Also there is a good reason they've settled on 3 mags instead of. 4 mag wide system: it fits better with backpack straps across a better variety of chest sizes. On the whole, it is a good balance. I have a 4 mag wide system and it fits me, but I am wide in the chest. It does slightly interfere with a pack system.

Hope this helps. The guys at UWGear are great and I hope one of them will chime in, but I'm not sure they will be able to.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 5:36:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.  Looks like they would hold the pouch closed well, and be silent to open and close.  Unlike the stuff I had in the Army that was all velco and snaps

I think the video on Youtube that I watched was from the Military Arms Channel, but I could be wrong.  If I am remembering correctly, it was something from down in Florida.  The UW Gear rep put loaded mags in the rig, then proceeded to shake it upside down, and the mags stayed in the rig securely.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the video on Youtube that I watched was from the Military Arms Channel, but I could be wrong.  If I am remembering correctly, it was something from down in Florida.  The UW Gear rep put loaded mags in the rig, then proceeded to shake it upside down, and the mags stayed in the rig securely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QxVW6AZOZng

@9:40
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 6:06:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 6:12:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was the Big 3 East event.

MAC also did a specific review of our bandoleer as well.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/142715_My_favorite_AK_magazine_pouch.html

Originally we were doing 4 mags on the chest rigs, but found the 3 mag version to be more versatile. I'd be glad to try and answer questions, but since we arent a paying dealer yet I dont want to break any rules.

I kept thinking Big 3 East, but wasn't sure.  I watched the video over the weekend while my little girl was taking a nap.
Link Posted: 6/11/2012 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#12]
You had extra Surpat to spare!?!?
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks for the writeup!

As mentioned I don't think it's really designed for that and I don't have a plate carrier myself, I'm just a recreational shooter. Personally I'm not a fan of molle hydration carriers so the rig is ok for me like it is, but I can see how they could be useful of course.

I've always been ok with using canteens but I'm glad UW is considering the hydration carrier route. They do seem to pay attention to what people say and I think that's going to help them keep traction in the market.

Quoted:
You had extra Surpat to spare!?!?

I did actually, when I saw it on the market I bought a few yards because I had a feeling it would vanish. Not sure how these guys got it in the first place (and they're sold out) but this is where I found it: http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Heavyweight-Military-Camo-Fabrics

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#14]
How does AR mags fit in the 74?
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They make a rig for AR mags.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but I wondering how AR mags fit in the rig for the 74 because the 74 mags will not fit in the AR rig.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but I wondering how AR mags fit in the rig for the 74 because the 74 mags will not fit in the AR rig.

They fit and the tops will 'latch' but there is a lot of vacant space between the bottom of the mag (bullets down) and the top flap.
A USGI sits almost flush with the top lip of the pouch and a PMag sticks just over the top lip (~0.25'').

The AK74 rig will work with poly or metal 74 mags, 556 AK mags and AR mags but it won't be perfect for the non-74 mags - even the 556AK mags will sit a little low.
However, with a little bit of practice you can get any of the non-74 mags out of the pouches - it hasn't been an issue for me yet.

*I'm not affiliated with UW Gear but I do have several of the chest rigs (762x39, 545 & M4).
It's my favorite chest rig, well made, well priced and perfect for what it was designed for.
IMHO, it is the best AK rig out there.
Plus, Hawkeye (the guy who makes them) is a good dude and an AK guy.

A few posts down you can see some pix of my "old" 4-mag UW Gear rigs:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_56/98579_What_web_gear_are_you_using_with_your_AK_.html&page=10

**Edited to add link
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

As mentioned I don't think it's really designed for that and I don't have a plate carrier myself, I'm just a recreational shooter. Personally I'm not a fan of molle hydration carriers so the rig is ok for me like it is, but I can see how they could be useful of course.

I've always been ok with using canteens but I'm glad UW is considering the hydration carrier route. They do seem to pay attention to what people say and I think that's going to help them keep traction in the market.

Canteens are fine for casual use, but for noise discipline reasons it is often better to go with a hydration carrier (or if you really like canteens, than collapsible canteens) so you don't get the slosh slosh slosh when moving around.  I've tried the standard camelbak but found it gets crushed and leaks whenever it gets placed underneath any sort of pack (maybe this is just the abused mil-spec ones we get issued).  I like the idea of a molle carrier that can get strapped to the outside of whatever pack/vest/H-harness I'm using. I'd also rather have the weight spread across my back then on my hips.

I like their gear so far - have to sell some sub-par stuff and look at picking some up!
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I have several of their rigs and I can say that it's some of the best gear out there.  Here's a rig I posted a video of that demonstrates how well the tab system of closure works.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the review Zen!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey Guys:

Again, we are not paying vendors here yet (but hope to be soon) so I will keep my comments brief.  This rig is designed for only one purpose, a civilian in rural, unsupported, emergency events.  The top flap and tuck tab retention system was designed soley for this purpose.  The tuck tab itself is .040" kydex, which while a little stiff will not wear out any time soon.  TNSTAAFL.  We feel this is the best rig for our purposes.  Of course, YMMV.  

We thank TxZen for his review here, it is much appreciated.  But keep in mind this rig was built for retention and durability over pure speed.  Open top kydex pouches, TACO's, etc, are obviously going to be faster, in a timed event.  Whether that is more important is something you have to decide for yourself.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top