Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2011 4:21:19 PM EDT
I had the SLR-107F and really liked it, but it was stolen...

Now I need a new one for myself and work. I like the SLR, but the SGL I think would be just as good.

Any experience or thoughts to go one way or the other?

Thanks,
MF
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
i've never had or handled a SGL 21-94 but from pics and videos the differences i can see are the SGL  does not have the reinforcement plate under the pistol grip and it still has a hole above the pistol grip for the rear mounted trigger since it is a Saiga. it doesn't have the axis pin holes in the side though, just the hole in the bottom for the old trigger.  also the SGL has a newer russian stock with the 5.5mm axis pin which has the stock a little straighter off the back of the receiver, better for recoil since it'll recoil straight back to your shoulder.

with the SLR's being near impossible to find i'd go for the SGL. it's a little more than you'd pay for an SLR but you won't spend any time looking for a SGL either.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I had an SGL20 and SLR107F before I went all 5.45. I'm not going to list the obvious and cosmetic differences. I have noticed the 107 has a spring loaded firing pin and the bolt carrier is thicker. The 107 feels a lot smoother when fired and I like the fit and finish over the SGL20. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i've never had or handled a SGL 21-94 but from pics and videos the differences i can see are the SGL  does not have the reinforcement plate under the pistol grip and it still has a hole above the pistol grip for the rear mounted trigger since it is a Saiga. it doesn't have the axis pin holes in the side though, just the hole in the bottom for the old trigger.  also the SGL has a newer russian stock with the 5.5mm axis pin which has the stock a little straighter off the back of the receiver, better for recoil since it'll recoil straight back to your shoulder.

with the SLR's being near impossible to find i'd go for the SGL. it's a little more than you'd pay for an SLR but you won't spend any time looking for a SGL either.

I can get ahold of either, just looking for the pros and cons. Thanks for the examples.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 5:36:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I can get ahold of either, just looking for the pros and cons. Thanks for the examples.

One Bulgarian, the other Russian. Aside from that, there are no pros and cons between the 2 other than a few cosmetic differences.

Link Posted: 8/21/2011 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

One Bulgarian, the other Russian. Aside from that, there are no pros and cons between the 2 other than a few cosmetic differences.

Actually, the bolt on the SLR is AKM/47 pattern while the SGL is the thinner 74 pattern. In essence the SLR is true to the original design. I personally won't own an SGL anything but do own Bulgarian rifles.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, the bolt on the SLR is AKM/47 pattern while the SGL is the thinner 74 pattern. In essence the SLR is true to the original design. I personally won't own an SGL anything but do own Bulgarian rifles.

More good input, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to hijack, but does anyone know where there are any SLR 107's in stock?
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#8]
the SGL isn't an AKM though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can find one I'd get the slr107 since they may never be made again.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok I have had/and have a few of each type:
SGL has a straight angle with the 5.5 folding stock. SLRs angles slightly down with the 4.5  ( I like the 5.5 better on a long rifle and like the 4.5 better on the SLR krinks)
SGL has a 74 type bolt ( modern) and the SLR a 47 type bolt with a spring loaded firing pin (hard to find a replacement Kvar has bolts now after 6 years). spring loaded pin will do better with home loads in a SHTF situation.
SGL has a long rear sight block utilizing the 1000 meter rear ( new 103 type and way nicer than the bulgy) SLR uses the 800 meter. Both worthless past 300 meter LOL.
SGL has the new type piston ( no groove to clean) SLR has the grooves
Both have shitty triggers (get a G2)
All my SGLs have a way smoother action (racking them as I type)
Both can arrive with canted features :(
SGLs have smooth top covers (enough said)
SGLs seems a bit more robust but also feel a tad heavier.
They both have rails sgl vs slr107fr  -  dont get the one with out the rail.

They are the best choices to start with - then send it to Jim fuller have him fine tune the straightness of the sights vs the port and trunnion then park / moly it -

I never new how good the AK was till I sent one to Jim -   TAC DRIVER !

Link Posted: 8/21/2011 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok I have had/and have a few of each type:
SGL has a straight angle with the 5.5 folding stock. SLRs angles slightly down with the 4.5  ( I like the 5.5 better on a long rifle and like the 4.5 better on the SLR krinks)
SGL has a 74 type bolt ( modern) and the SLR a 47 type bolt with a spring loaded firing pin (hard to find a replacement Kvar has bolts now after 6 years). spring loaded pin will do better with home loads in a SHTF situation.
SGL has a long rear sight block utilizing the 1000 meter rear ( new 103 type and way nicer than the bulgy) SLR uses the 800 meter. Both worthless past 300 meter LOL.
SGL has the new type piston ( no groove to clean) SLR has the grooves
Both have shitty triggers (get a G2)
All my SGLs have a way smoother action (racking them as I type)
Both can arrive with canted features :(
SGLs have smooth top covers (enough said)
SGLs seems a bit more robust but also feel a tad heavier.
They both have rails sgl vs slr107fr  -  dont get the one with out the rail.

They are the best choices to start with - then send it to Jim fuller have him fine tune the straightness of the sights vs the port and trunnion then park / moly it -

I never new how good the AK was till I sent one to Jim -   TAC DRIVER !

Great info, thanks! Part of the reason for the new AK is I'll be taking some classes with Jim Fuller and Sonny Puzikas fairly soon.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top