Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/12/2010 11:18:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrandIllusion]
From Aim Surplus:

Romanian GP-WASR 10/63 7.62x39 Rifle

New Romanian Cugir Factory GP-WASR 10/63 Semi-automatic 7.62x39 caliber rifles. Features a chrome lined barrel and side optics rail mount. Includes 2 surplus steel magazines, bayonet, and other assorted accessories.

(NOW is the time to order one of these Rifles. Our supply is dwindling. Future shipments will not have the Original Romanian Barrel and will be subject to a price increase!)

Price: $389.95ea
FFL Dealer Sales Only. Not for sale in CA, CT, MA, NJ, & NY. Not for sale with magazines in MD.

Gotta file this under WTF.

So Century's gonna import the single-stack sporting rifle, remove the Romanian barrel, and replace it with a crapshoot US barrel?

EDIT

The original information turned out to be incorrect. WASRs now have brand new, CHROMED, HAMMER FORGED, ROMANIAN BARRELS. The old surplus barrels can no longer be used because of the "one a machine gun, always a machine gun" bullshit (Although technically, shouldn't that only apply to the receiver?...Questioning clusterfuck rulings from BATFE are for another thread though) Once again, WASRs DO NOT HAVE U.S. MADE BARRELS. PLEASE DO NOT ASK ABOUT THIS EVERY WEEK. THEY STILL HAVE ROMANIAN MIL-SPEC BARRELS, BUT NOW THE BARRELS ARE BRAND NEW AND NOT SURPLUS.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 11:36:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrandIllusion] [#3]
Originally Posted By Bryan_Aim:
these barrels fell into the machine gun barrel ban, they can no longer use Romanian barrels, they will now use a CHROME lined US made barrel, and will go up about 6%, we learned this in July,

I don't understand this. How did the Romanian barrels suddenly become contraband? Will Saigas/Arsenal AKs fall under the same restriction?

Good to hear that they'll still be chrome-lined though.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]

without giving too much info, if the barrel in made in 2010 its fine (saigas are fine), if it was made more than a few years ago its a problem,

That's lame as hell and it pisses me off.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The ATF ruled quite a while back that the barrels were no longer allowed on the imported weapons or as part of de-mil'ed kits.

You're just lucky it took this long for the supply to dry up.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
what kind of horse shit is that?
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#9]
without giving too much info, if the barrel in made in 2010 its fine (saigas are fine), if it was made more than a few years ago its a problem,

I am SO SICK of these arbitrary bans.  God, I wish enough of us could raise our voices and get these ridiculous "bans" lifted.  It changes nothing, the rifles are still available it only makes things a pain in the arse, it's the incremental BS they're playing on us and it's tiresome.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like WASRs are going to be priced out of the market then.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 1:36:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ermac] [#11]
I don't really understand this. Does it just mean that the Romanians are going make new barrels instead of using old barrels? You really think Century would bother buying WASR's anymore if they had put a US barrel on them? Their parts kits guns will cost almost just as much.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 2:16:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Mak:

Looks like Saiga's will be the only game in town if you want the real deal.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#13]
DA FUCK?!
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Who the hell is going to buy the WASR's if they go up in price....ya could get a better rifle. Unless the others go up too i guess. (?)
Glad i got my nice WASR 10/63 with a really nice barrel already.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 4:38:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: POLYTHENEPAM] [#15]
Originally Posted By FAC:
I am SO SICK of these arbitrary bans.  God, I wish enough of us could raise our voices and get these ridiculous "bans" lifted.  It changes nothing, the rifles are still available it only makes things a pain in the arse, it's the incremental BS they're playing on us and it's tiresome.

The basis of the ban is the statute. If you want to end import bans the statute must be changed. If it isn't, each administration will interpret it differently and each interpretation will be more restrictive than the last, if experience is any guide.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 4:42:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: POLYTHENEPAM] [#16]

Perhaps the government's goal is too disarm the poor.
Of course, once the inexpensive rifles are excluded from the market, the price of the available rifles will climb dramatically thereby disarming the not-so-poor as well.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder how many guns DIDNT get built because of their barrel ban? All they are doing is making a select few barrel manufactures rich, and screwing the rest of us, all the while not stopping anymore guns from being built. I think there big motive was the home builder.
GIVE US OUR BARRELS BACK.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#18]
more stupidness from the atf and/or state dept.

there is absolutly no point whatsoever but to restrict the citizens from firearms / parts.

total B.S.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#19]
How does anyone know when the barrel was made?  Do barrels on WASRs currently come date stamped?
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#20]
How does anyone know when the barrel was made?  Do barrels on WASRs currently come date stamped?

The WASR's barrels have unique markings from the inspectors.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#21]
WTF

I must buy a WASR now.

3 years from now, there will be threads talking about how great the 2007 - 2010 WASR 10/63's were/are...

Kinda like all the Chicom love now. At one point everyone thought they were cheap Chinese AK's

With that said, might as well get one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 7:00:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Ermac:

Do those markings indicate date of manufacture?  I have never owned a WASR, only 5 or 6 SARs over the years and G kits.

As easy as it is to do a conversion on a Saiga they seem to be a better choice but it appears they are heading for the $400.00 range, also.  I remember when they were $175.00 and I bought several at $225.00 just a couple years back.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Do those markings indicate date of manufacture?  I have never owned a WASR, only 5 or 6 SARs over the years and G kits.

As easy as it is to do a conversion on a Saiga they seem to be a better choice but it appears they are heading for the $400.00 range, also.  I remember when they were $175.00 and I bought several at $225.00 just a couple years back.

No, they do not have date of manufacture.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 8:03:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Well, the dollar does not buy what it use to.
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#26]
My 1970 Tula build has a Romanian Barrel so NO WASR FOR ME
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#27]

No great loss - I have an older wasr that I will probably sell/trade towards a higher level AK anyway.,

Eventually some U.S. mfg will be making AK barrels Superior to the originals.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 10:45:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrandIllusion] [#28]
Originally Posted By AKsRule:

Doubt it. The AK market isn't big enough to invest in cold hammer forging equipment.

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TheGrandIllusion:

Doubt it. The AK market isn't big enough to invest in cold hammer forging equipment.

uggghh.. cold hammer forging is a gimmick..  these ar guys are all over it like its crack..  do research CHF is little more than a process to speed up production rates.. there more expensive BECAUSE the equipment is expensive.. i dont care to pay for a mfg's equipment upgrades..

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=AK47-3GM

completely acceptable in my opnion
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#30]
So true!

Working with these guns daily I can tell you that the romanian barrels are not superior in any way except for the chrome lining, chuck one up in a lathe and they cut like butter, some think hammer forge means some type of rock hard super steel !
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By sickpup:

uggghh.. cold hammer forging is a gimmick.. these ar guys are all over it like its crack.. do research CHF is little more than a process to speed up production rates.. there more expensive BECAUSE the equipment is expensive.. i dont care to pay for a mfg's equipment upgrades..

Hammer Forging barrels produces a more consistant product.  The steel is basically beat into shape around a mandrel.  You get the exact same product every time.  Cutting a barrel leaves much more room for error and inconsistancies.  And yes, hammer forging is much faster and efficient.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#32]

uggghh.. cold hammer forging is a gimmick..  these ar guys are all over it like its crack..  do research CHF is little more than a process to speed up production rates.. there more expensive BECAUSE the equipment is expensive.. i dont care to pay for a mfg's equipment upgrades..

Great.... I've been living a lie

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#33]

As an Example -  Daniel Defense.

Below is one of their products , they could easily make a similar barrel for AKs if they saw market potential.

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Wow, alot to think about............ I too used to think hammer forging was all the rave but yall make a good argument.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#35]
True the hammer forged barrels in a perfect world would be more consistent however the carbide mandrels used do wear over time.

They have a life expectancy like anything else and the manufacturer has a tolerance window, as the mandrel wears, ideally they will replace it before it's out of tolerance....ideally.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 9:06:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: engineer2001] [#36]

As an Example -  Daniel Defense.

Below is one of their products , they could easily make a similar barrel for AKs if they saw market potential.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/AKsrule/Hammer.jpg

Those Daniel Defense barrels are fricking awesome too.  I have two so far and plan to buy more.  I don't like barrel bans, but if DD made AK barrels, I would use them.

I have owned 4 Romanian rifles, and I would say the barrels are seriously inferior to those of DD manufacture.  Maybe a good American company will make some money off this BS if nothing else.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 10:14:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BR870] [#37]

Originally Posted By lambo:

uggghh.. cold hammer forging is a gimmick.. these ar guys are all over it like its crack.. do research CHF is little more than a process to speed up production rates.. there more expensive BECAUSE the equipment is expensive.. i dont care to pay for a mfg's equipment upgrades..

Hammer Forging barrels produces a more consistant product.  The steel is basically beat into shape around a mandrel.  You get the exact same product every time.  Cutting a barrel leaves much more room for error and inconsistancies.  And yes, hammer forging is much faster and efficient.  
Ummm...  And its also introduces significant radial stresses into the steel that cannot be relieved through normal stress releasing methods.

The hardness/thickness of the chrome is the real determiner in barrel life, especially near the throat.  The chrome has to be completely shot through before it will matter whether its button or hammer forged anyway, and by then the "useful life" of the barrel will be exceeded...

Hammer Forging while having some advantages, is primarily the marketing gimmick du jour...

Link Posted: 11/14/2010 1:04:59 AM EDT
[#38]
I looked on AIM's website and didnt see this anywhere. Sounds to me like yet another internet rumor! Which means:
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 1:30:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By BR870:

Originally Posted By lambo:

Ummm...  And its also introduces significant radial stresses into the steel that cannot be relieved through normal stress releasing methods.

The hardness/thickness of the chrome is the real determiner in barrel life, especially near the throat.  The chrome has to be completely shot through before it will matter whether its button or hammer forged anyway, and by then the "useful life" of the barrel will be exceeded...

Hammer Forging while having some advantages, is primarily the marketing gimmick du jour...

This!  

If the chromelining is bonded correctly then its not going to flake off and will last.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 2:23:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By tstorm31:

I looked on AIM's website and didnt see this anywhere. Sounds to me like yet another internet rumor! Which means:

The only BS is.....^

The notice was in the Nov 11th AIM email advertisement, I'll forward you a copy if it will make you happy. You might also have noticed the owner of AIM Surplus corroborated the story on page 1.

Link Posted: 11/14/2010 12:17:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Obviously the wasr will instantly be worth more money.  For those in the know the original barrels are much more desirable than the u.s. offerings.  Kits with original barrels are already high enough, I predict they go even higher.  The wasr was the last cheap ak that used a factory barrel other than the few ssr's that centerfire has.  Converting a $350 saiga is another cheap option, how cheap? someone else may chime in.

Link Posted: 11/14/2010 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I think this might be misinformation????

The WASR is imported as a sporterized rifle with a single stack magazine which is exempt from any importation bans because of the sporterized configuration so the barrels on these rifles are exempt from the barrel ban, because the barrel ban only applies to rifles that are NO LONGER importable.

It is then AFTER the WASR is imported that it's converted into a military style rifle here in the states, using US made parts, and cutting out the mag well.,.....so I do not see how the gun barrel ban of 2005 would affect the WASR.
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#43]

Umm, Bryan from Aim confirmed it in this thread. Second post. Join their email list. It's in the latest email from them

Link Posted: 11/15/2010 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By akaf47:
I think this might be misinformation????

The WASR is imported as a sporterized rifle with a single stack magazine which is exempt from any importation bans because of the sporterized configuration so the barrels on these rifles are exempt from the barrel ban, because the barrel ban only applies to rifles that are NO LONGER importable.

It is then AFTER the WASR is imported that it's converted into a military style rifle here in the states, using US made parts, and cutting out the mag well.,.....so I do not see how the gun barrel ban of 2005 would affect the WASR.

Because the barrels were made in the 1960s/1970s with the intention of being used in full auto AKs. Makes absolutely zero sense, but that's to be expected from BATFE.

Link Posted: 11/15/2010 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Whatever.  It's not as if WASRs are some sort of gem to begin with.  They won't be any better or worse than they are now, just more expensive.  A SAR, AMD-65 or G-kit build was and is a more desirable weapon.
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Umm, Bryan from Aim confirmed it in this thread. Second post. Join their email list. It's in the latest email from them

How many years ago was it that Classic Arms posted on their website that no more WASRs were going to be imported?

Link Posted: 11/15/2010 7:06:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I can't believe anything I read on the internet anymore, at least wikipedia is honest, I can trust them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 9:58:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: engineer2001] [#48]
Lol, I see what you did there.  Wikipedia...  
Link Posted: 11/16/2010 3:09:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Also, why are none of the other vendors saying this? If they were, they would be selling WASR's by the truckload! Its just not adding up.
Link Posted: 11/16/2010 6:13:23 AM EDT
[#50]
America, FUCK YEAH.

protecting the interests of the large gun corporations & cottage industries since 1968!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top