Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2016 1:38:51 PM EDT
I have an AMD-65 rifle with the Ultimak mount that replaces the gas tube. Concerned that high temperatures might affect the electronic sight I eventually mount there.

Can anyone recommend a red dot that they have personally subjected to repeated high temperatures without inducing any problems?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a regular PA red dot (not advanced) on mine.  Used it at the range under scorching southern CA sun and some mags w/o issue.  As long as your rail does not move, the RDS should hold zero.  Oh, make sure you wear glove.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a TRS-25 that survived years and thousands of rounds on an Ultimak tube.  Still going strong today.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an older MD-06 Primary Arms rds that now has close to 4k rounds fired. I highly recommend the Ultimak mount. Return, and maintaining zero is rock solid. Yes, periodically I do fully strip my Mak 90 and clean it.......every 3-4 years. Worth every cent paid.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:45:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions!
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Back in 2007 I mag dumped six mags to see what would happen to my Aimpoint micro mounted on an Ultimak rail on my SLR106. It was so hot I could cook bacon for IHOP. After it had cooled down I checked, and found out it had held "zero" to where it was sighted in.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:00:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a Docter on an Ultimak on my beater AK.  It has survived mag dumps including some bump firing (obviously when ammo was cheaper if that tells you how old it is) along with the usual bumps and banging around a truck and farm gun gets.  I know I’ll get slammed by some for saying it, but unless you’re really running junk optics, most of the stuff out today seems to hold up a lot better than you’d think.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top