Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2016 2:39:30 PM EDT
I have the 12.25" Draco pistol and would like to add a side mount for the purpose of putting a RDS on top. The Draco does not have the side mount to place the rail on. Is there a part available and if so what's the install like?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:02:40 AM EDT
[#1]
No one?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in a parking lot right now, but I'll give you a full reply when I get home.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool. thx.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Alright, first bear in mind that there are other options for mounting an RDS that are simpler to accomplish, such as the Ultimak or Attero mount. In the category of side rails, there's the traditional ones that require riveting (preferred), or screwing in. I'll cover the riveting one since it's the most involved.

First, you'll need either a shop press (Harbor Freight) and a Plinker type jig (AK-Builder or AK Machinist on the AKFiles) or a set of riveting jaws and bolt cutters (Toth Tool). Next, you'll need the side rail, which for your Draco an AKM pattern would be "correct". Next, you'll need to drill out the forward most rivet on the left side of the rear trunnion. Now place the rail on the left side of the receiver and slip a new rivet through the scope rail and into the hole. From there, eyeball that the top of the scope rail is level with the top of the receiver rails. The scope rail will not be level with the bottom of the receiver. Now using a set of calipers, measure the distance from the top of the receiver rail to the top of the scope rail at the rear most portion (where the rivet is) and ensure that the same measurement is at the front of the scope rail. Once they're the same, clamp the rail to the receiver and drill the center and left rivet holes into the receiver. Now crush the three rivets which will "permanently" affix the scope rail in place. Be careful doing this, as some of the riveting arms are not relieved very much and can bend the receiver at the receiver rail. This isn't really a concern using riveting jaws and a bolt cutter. In some cases, the heads of the forward and rearward most rivets will needs their heads filled down in order to allow a scope to slide on unhindered onto the scope rail.

Or, you could use the screw on type, which still requires drilling, or one of the other options mentioned earlier. You could also just pay someone to do it for you since it'll be cheaper. If any of this isn't very coherent it's because I'm on vacation and have a good buzz going.

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Forgot to come back and say thanks. I did some research on your suggestions and, I like the Attero option. Plus, they are local to me. I'll be going that route with a side folder to keep as much as the authentic AK look as possible. This one is likely headed for SBR.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Look on this site for the AK Master Side Mount. It's attached by replacing trigger and hammer pins.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look on this site for the AK Master Side Mount. It's attached by replacing trigger and hammer pins.

[email protected]
View Quote

Well if you're going to tell us to look at an email account for product information, you could at least be kind enough to include the password...
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Why not use the Texas dogleg railed dust cover? Works great on my Draco SBR.

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top