Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2016 4:43:22 PM EDT
Is there anyone that makes/sells those gas tube rails, the ones that replace the gas tube but it has a rail on top, other than Troy?

If anyone has any experience with these tubes, I'd love to hear it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 5:06:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Ultimak is the first and most famous by far with a long and proven track record. The advantage is a light weight and easy way to mount a red dot and, with an extension, a weapon light. Downside is that it cannot be removed for cleaning unless you want to rezero the optic. It uses two clamps that tension it to the barrel and has a lot of play side to side and front to back in order to fit most AK's, so loosening the clamps will kill the optic zero. Leaving it in place is fine but many people don't enjoy the fact that the gas block is much harder to clean. In the end I think this is not really a serious issue, but it all depends on how religiously clean you want to keep your rifle. Personally I didn't have an issue with that and kept my 5.45 rifles with corrosive clean enough for me.

That being said it is a very popular solution and is quite effective. I don't rely on it but I still respect the design and the concept.

Z
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my Ultimak, for the forward light mount, but I didn't like my optic on it. Besides it's the best looking gas tube there is.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#3]
The ultimak is awesome except with factory handguard I tend to burn my thumb.  I installed a Zhukov handguard wich helped but still leaves a lot of the hot tube exposed.  Of course this is a non issue if you don't shoot fast enough to heat up the gun.  My best solution is mechanics gloves.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is there anyone that makes/sells those gas tube rails, the ones that replace the gas tube but it has a rail on top, other than Troy?

If anyone has any experience with these tubes, I'd love to hear it.
View Quote

midwest industries makes a really good one.  adjustable or length and height off barrel to fit various ak build irregularities.   current one is for standard ak types like the wasr.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=2583

put one on my rh10 from century to replace the so-so tube it came with
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ultimak is the first and most famous by far with a long and proven track record. The advantage is a light weight and easy way to mount a red dot and, with an extension, a weapon light. Downside is that it cannot be removed for cleaning unless you want to rezero the optic. It uses two clamps that tension it to the barrel and has a lot of play side to side and front to back in order to fit most AK's, so loosening the clamps will kill the optic zero. Leaving it in place is fine but many people don't enjoy the fact that the gas block is much harder to clean. In the end I think this is not really a serious issue, but it all depends on how religiously clean you want to keep your rifle. Personally I didn't have an issue with that and kept my 5.45 rifles with corrosive clean enough for me.

That being said it is a very popular solution and is quite effective. I don't rely on it but I still respect the design and the concept.

Z
View Quote

Was that an Arsenal with the Ultimak? Looks like one, but just checking. I found that on my SLR 106 it was really tight to install and had to get it just right before you flipped the lower hand guard retainer over. I agree with all the points above though, I've had an ultimak w/ a Aimpoint m3 for years on my saiga conversion, and I've removed it to clean it once that I recall. I don't shoot corrosive, so YMMV, and when I reinstalled it, it was more or less same zero. Even with the minor cons, I agree it's the best solution of it's type.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I love my Ultimak, for the forward light mount, but I didn't like my optic on it. Besides it's the best looking gas tube there is.

View Quote

Man, sorry to just reply to all, but how do you like the MI red dot side mount? I'm thinking about swapping to it for my full size AK, and the idea is sound.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:11:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Was that an Arsenal with the Ultimak? Looks like one, but just checking. I found that on my SLR 106 it was really tight to install and had to get it just right before you flipped the lower hand guard retainer over. I agree with all the points above though, I've had an ultimak w/ a Aimpoint m3 for years on my saiga conversion, and I've removed it to clean it once that I recall. I don't shoot corrosive, so YMMV, and when I reinstalled it, it was more or less same zero. Even with the minor cons, I agree it's the best solution of it's type.
View Quote

eta: Just realized that specific photo is an SGL31-61, not the SLR105. I actually used the Ultimak on the SLR for a while, but never the SGL. My bad

Yes it is, SLR105A1 converted to a folder. Mine required a bit of wiggling but not much, and locked down smoothly.

Here is the SLR105

Z
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#8]
SLR's new handguard can use a railed gas tube. Really well made.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 3:27:55 AM EDT
[#9]
My concern with the ultimak systems would be heat. Do these get hot enough for the optics to be ruined if you were to use a primary arms red dot?
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless you are doing mag dump after mag dump after mag dump, It will get hot, but it won't get hot enough to kill a decent option (AimPoint, EoTech or Primary Arms)...

I mounted my optic further "back" on the tube to give as much chance for the gas to cool and bleed off...

I've shot the Primary Arms micro dot on the Ultimak on my 7.62 Saiga conversion with no issues.  Bonus is it perfect co-witnesses with irons or red dot with no pause or delay.

I wasn't sure at first, but I'm a believer!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top