Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2015 6:59:39 AM EDT
I have been trying to put a red dot sight on my ak and sks for a long time. I have used UTG rails that mount over the gas system and barrel and are very heavy, I have used the rail on the dust cover and the rail on the rear sight. None are that reliable.I don't have a side rail on my ak so that is out.  I have found the best and cheapest system here: http://insaneaccuracy.com/ . Just scroll down until you see Best AK 47 + SKS Mount Ever and LESS than $20 and click on the video. This guy isn't trying to sell anything. All he wants to do is try to help people get the most accuracy out of their AK and SKS rifles. He will be adding more videos soon for different rifles. Watch and let me know what you think.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#1]
If the optic won't fry, the balance of the rifle isn't screwed up too badly, group size isnt adversley impacted, and you're on a budget, I guess it could work.

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
For a budget red dot the Bushnell TRS-25 or the Primary Arms Aimpoint clone would be my recommendation. I have a TRS-25 on both my VZ and my AK, the dot is clear & crisp and smaller than many other sub $100 optics.

As for a rail, was your UTG replacing the gas tube like an Ultimak or was it the Pro quad rail? I have the UTG Pro quad rail and it's worked fine for me and always held zero. It's not pretty but it's pretty cheap and it works.

For anything railed that's replacing your upper handguard or gas tube the Ultimak is the answer every time. If I had to do it all over again I'd go this route instead just to have a better looking rifle.

I've seen a microdot clone on a rifle, same type you'd put on an auto pistol, pretty small & light but the one I saw had to be removed from the rifle to change the battery so it seems you'd have to re-zero after every battery change. No thanks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a UTG #478 Model47 Handguard Quad Rails.It was a little heavy and it set the red dot up too high. I had to use a pad with extra padding to use  the red dot. Instead of a check weld, I had a chin weld on my stock without the pad. With this new mount you co witness with your iron sights without a pad on the stock. It is great and without all of the extra weight. I use a Bushnell TRS-25 with a 1/2" riser rail and the front sight is right in the middle of my TRS-25. Try it you'll like it!!!
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top