Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2015 2:08:10 PM EDT
My first rifle is this Norinco 56s underfolder. It's a looker but it positively sucks to shoot. The stock is terrible. It is uncomfortable in the chest/shoulder pocket, and the cheek weld is a nightmare to which many experienced with underfolders can attest. Also, the teak(?) furniture is rather complementary but like every standard AK I have shot, the heat shield is an absurd suggestion.

I assume the easier part is the furniture. My thoughts were Magpul AKM handguard and MOE grip with an Ultimax gas tube. Would you add/subtract/substitute anything here for modularity and heat resistance? I do want to retain the ability to reverse it to stock, so Zhukov forends and other metal removal is not on table for this one.

The folding stock is going to be the pain in the ass. If there was an improved stock that would mount on the pivot points, I would be all over it (so please enlighten me if I missed it). The problem with the rifle being a 56s (that I want to keep the factory reversal option) is that the underfolder is likely here to stay. Do they make a butt pad for the underfolder? I saw a cheek weld attachment from Samson that I would get for < $50, they want $70+ for a single plate and screws, and I would rather spend 2 hours with some clever paracording than spend $70 on a slab of metal with 4 screws.

Any suggestions on mods/accessories that made your underfolder a halfway decent shooting experience. Also, does anybody know if the Magpul (or your recommended foreend) interferes with the locking of the underfolder? the stock set is deeply grooved from contact with the folder and I am worried that the molded plastic may not have the clearance for the stock to collapse and lock.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
just get another rifle.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you but your suggestion is rather useless.

I have other rifles which I enjoy shooting far more than this AK (or any other AK I own) which is why this thread exists, and I can't just get another "first firearm ever bought,"  so the plan is to make what I have more useful rather than get more stuff.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you but your suggestion is rather useless.

I have other rifles which I enjoy shooting far more than this AK (or any other AK I own) which is why this thread exists, and I can't just get another "first firearm ever bought,"  so the plan is to make what I have more useful rather than get more stuff.

View Quote

Its an underfolder, you can't. Its been asked a thousand times.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll trade you my de-banned, solid stock MAK if you want to go Tapco retard on an AK, but don't mess with a 56S, please.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's an underfolder, I can't... what?

See, the point of a discussion forum is that discussion take place, not minimalistic quips that leave everything to the imagination but constructive input.

If you read the OP, I believe the limited/non options of a REPLACEMENT stock have been fully addressed (which is what I assume you are addressing from your vague response). That does not address the existence of underfolder stock accessories (as I have pointed out myself) or other suggestions that make the stock more useful or manageable, nor does that address the fore-end issues that I have also asked about at all.

So, rather than two or three unhelpful posts that lack constructive input or coherence with respect to what you are addressing, why not write 2-3 complete and direct sentences about the problems you are aware of in the first place, which would save you response time and might add something to the thread?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll trade you my de-banned, solid stock MAK if you want to go Tapco retard on an AK, but don't mess with a 56S, please.
View Quote

LOL. Let me get back to you on that one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:40:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can dream, can't I?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Just 550 cord it. There is basically nothing to be done
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

See, the point of a discussion forum is that discussion take place, not minimalistic quips that leave everything to the imagination but constructive input.

If you read the OP, I believe the limited/non options of a REPLACEMENT stock have been fully addressed (which is what I assume you are addressing from your vague response). That does not address the existence of underfolder stock accessories (as I have pointed out myself) or other suggestions that make the stock more useful or manageable, nor does that address the fore-end issues that I have also asked about at all.

So, rather than two or three unhelpful posts that lack constructive input or coherence with respect to what you are addressing, why not write 2-3 complete and direct sentences about the problems you are aware of in the first place, which would save you response time and might add something to the thread?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't mess with it. Not worth it. Leave original.

Just kidding, man. If it's your first, just leave it alone and get something that more suits your wants.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Echo93 makes a polymer cheek rest for underfolders to help with check weld. It has to be removed to fold the stock but that's not an issue because it just pops in and out. Check out their website.

CAA makes a side-folding (and maybe a non-folding) replacement stock system for underfolders. The actual buttstock that comes with it is hideous, but I believe you can replace it with any M4-style collapsible stock. Im not sure if it'll work with Chinese underfolder patterns, but it's worth a look.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:39:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top