Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2015 12:06:21 AM EDT
I'm considering getting an EOTech XPS3 for my SLR-106FR and I'm looking at the RS Regulate AK-303 full-length optic rail.  I was also looking at the Arsenal SM-13.  I would like to know which offers the best, most comfortable cheek weld.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I own both and both are quality mounts.  Both will be a chin weld with an Eotech.  Nature of the beast when it comes to Eotechs and AKs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own both and both are quality mounts.  Both will be a chin weld with an Eotech.  Nature of the beast when it comes to Eotechs and AKs.
View Quote

Thanks for your input.  I figured that a chin weld would be the case.  Do you find a chin weld awkward or is it something that's easy to adapt to?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The lack of a cheek weld with an Eotech does not bother me much, although I do prefer one.  I really want some kind of cheek weld with a magnified optic (scope).  My preferences.
I do use an XPS2 on a Vepr 12, and need Magpul's tallest riser to get a good (not great) cheek weld with the CTR stock on the Vepr 12 (see pic below).  Eotechs stand tall on AKs, and it takes a tall cheek riser to get a good cheek weld with one on an AK.

I am a huge Eotech fan, and am willing to make certain allowances to use them on AKs.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The lack of a cheek weld with an Eotech does not bother me much, although I do prefer one.  I really want some kind of cheek weld with a magnified optic (scope).  My preferences.

I do use an XPS2 on a Vepr 12, and need Magpul's tallest riser to get a good (not great) cheek weld with the CTR stock on the Vepr 12 (see pic below).  Eotechs stand tall on AKs, and it takes a tall cheek riser to get a good cheek weld with one on an AK.

I am a huge Eotech fan, and am willing to make certain allowances to use them on AKs.

http://s20.postimg.org/5b9n264cd/Vepr_12_040_2.jpg

View Quote

Great info and example pic.  I really like Eotech's sight picture too.  I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
After seeing one of LM's earlier posts on the subject as well as AK47 Operators Unions review I decided on the SM-13 for an XPS3 on an SGL-21. I think the mount is good quality and very light weight. It's about as low as they could make it without issues contacting the top cover on some AK's with all of the variances out there. If you try hard you can get some movement in sides rails mounted on stamped recievers with any mount but the Russians have been using them like that for a long time and they seem to work just fine.

A buddy of mine bought an EXPS3 which has the QD base but sits higher for his AR along with the G33 Magnifier so I got to play with that on my SM-13 rail before ordering my eotech. I have some pictures but not sure how to post. I decided to get the XPS3 with is a little lower for my AK. Like LM said it is a reach but not terrible. I can get a full cheekweld if I sight with my left eye dominant (I am anyways ) or a chin weld with the right. I love my AK and I love Eotechs. Maybe not the perfect marriage but it only made sense to put my two favorites together.

I've only had the sight about a week and haven't had a chance to go try it out yet, maybe this weekend. I am playing around with cheekrest options. I liked the Legion unit but I want something I can remove more easily. Right now I'm waiting on an ACCU Riser from the Leatherman that I want try.

Edit: Stock is a Russian Triangle Folder.
Edit again: spelling
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top