Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2014 6:55:03 PM EDT
Hey everyone,

I am looking to add a red dot at a low cost to my new NPAP and I'm having trouble deciding on a few choices.

First, the mount: I want something that can co-witness in case the sight dies so I am torn between the Ultimak, which seems to get a lot of positive feedback from users, and the Attero Arms rear sight mount (Bravo mount).  Generally I would choose the Ultimak but I am worried 1) Having the optic mounted so far forward and 2) The rail heating up burning my hands and/or my optic.

Are my concerns about the Ultimak valid or am I sweating minor issues?

Second, The RDS: Obviously if I go with the Attero the PA micro dot is what I will go with, but for the Ultimak, Im torn between the Bushnell TRS-25 or the new Primary Arms Mirco dot MD-RBGII.
Currently the TRS-25 can be had for ~$65 shipped via Amazon and the PA Micro for ~$90 shipped.  Is the new PA micro with the extra $25? The main difference I see is between a 3MOA and 2MOA dot.

What do you good folks think? I feel I am over thinking all of this and just cant make up my mind on what to buy.  If you have any other suggestions I am all for them, thanks everyone for your help!
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had excellent luck with the PA red-dots, currently have 3 and waiting for a sale to pick up another. They hold zero really well and seem to be very hardy. And PA's customer service is absolutely top-notch.

Have never used the TRS-25 but have heard nothing but good things about them, I think Liquidmetal has used them extensively and reports excellent results. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I didn't like my Ultimak, it's a solid product, very strong and tough, but it put too much weight forward for me and made swinging the rifle cumbersome, it also got very hot, bad on bare fingers. But didn't seem to hurt the red-dot.

The Attero is perfect IMHO, very happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
My votes goes to Ultimak and PA Red-Dot or TRS-25. I'm using the Ultimak with a TRS-25 right now. I tried an Ultimak with PA Red-Dot first, then I sold them to try the RS Regulate side mount with an Aimpoint M2. I didn't like the weight of the RS Regulate and Aimpoint, so I sold the RS Regulate side mount and went back to the Ultimak and the TRS-25 (since it was cheaper than the PA Red-Dots at the time). I like the Ultimak with a Micro red-dot setup better. It's very light weight and hardly change the feel of the rifle.

Cons: The Ultimak can get really hot and you can burn your finger depending on how you hold your rifle. I have a Romanian "dong" and that solves my heat issue. My TRS-25 is still fine after doing some slidefire mag dumps.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's another option for you

AK Pistol/SBR
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

Ive decided to put the Primary Arms MD-ADS Advanced micro dot on my NPAP, I like the idea of turning on the red dot and leaving it that way when its at home.

Im still in debate over the Ultimak or the Attero mount though
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The PA is worth the extra $25 mainly for PA's customer service. My PA micro has better adjustments, brighter dot and a nicer mount compared to my TRS-25 hirise.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

Ive decided to put the Primary Arms MD-ADS Advanced micro dot on my NPAP, I like the idea of turning on the red dot and leaving it that way when its at home.

View Quote

nice choice
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top