Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2014 4:42:38 PM EDT
Just bought an arsenal slr 107fr, it is the ''36'' model that comes factory with arsenals new hand guard rail (pr-01). What are the pros and cons between using the side rail with an rs regulate mount, or the hand guard with the little factory aimpoint micro mount? I know the biggest con with the side rail is that I can know longer lock my stock when folding it. Any comments would be appreciated,  I am not new to ak47's, akm's, and the like, but I am new to throwing accessories on them, thanks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a fill-sized Aimpoint on a TWS rail with a super low ring on my '74.  Works great.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say the side rail will be your strongest mounting method....
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 6:28:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the input guys, have you handled the pr-01 rail? How does it stack up against the mi rails?
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:53:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that depends entirely on what optic you're talking about.

If you're talking about a Micro or a clone of one, either really works fine, with my preference being out on the upper handguard.

If you're talking about a full size Comp M or a Pro or something, then on a side rail mount, for sure.

Putting that much weight out on the handguard just seems to make the rifle feel funky. Especially a Pro if it's still got the QRP2 mount on it, since that thing is huge.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got an old Aimpoint ML2 mounted on my SGL31 with an RS Regulate 1st gen side rail mount. Great setup in every way. Their newer mounts are supposed to be excellent as well.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm fine with lightweight optics on an Ultimak or quad rail.  Heavier stuff I want over the receiver.  Rifle balance and handling mean something to me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say the side rail will be your strongest mounting method....
View Quote

This, to me; but, the only thing I don't like is when it's on a left-side folding stock AK. Then, you can't use the folding stock when the optic is attached. Whenever I start on my 'modernized' AKS 74 rifle, I will probably look into the MI micro dot mount that replaces the rear sight, or the TWS dogleg rail.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Attero Arms mount. By a large margin too.

http://atteroarms.com/optic-mounts.html
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Can you elaborate?

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

If that Parabellum Arms AKARS rail doesn't work out well for me, I might have to look into their railed rear sight replacement.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can you elaborate?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you elaborate?  

Much better balance than a gas tube rail as this positions the optic farther back, lighter weight too. Way more compact and less bulky than a side rail mount. Holds zero perfectly unlike dust cover mounts.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]
It's hard to tell because of the darkness of the photos on their site, but do these have sight notches? They specify which optics will/won't cowitness, which seems to imply that you'll have some sort of rear sight in addition to your optic.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's hard to tell because of the darkness of the photos on their site, but do these have sight notches? They specify which optics will/won't cowitness, which seems to imply that you'll have some sort of rear sight in addition to your optic.
View Quote

They all have some sort of sight notch, even the rail mounts I use, and since they replace the rear sight anyway, the notch is lined up nicely dead-center. Zeroed my SA with the notch at 100 no problem before I mounted the red-dot.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, Dragynn.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Texas weapons systems. Mine locks up tight and holds zero fine. I used to have a 4x scope on it but 4moa groups at 100yds I didn't need it. I might add a micro dot to it soon though. The peep sight they sell isn't that great, but you can see the sight radius is now extremely long compared to the 14.5" middy

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top