Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2014 2:25:00 PM EDT
Hey guys,
I just picked up one of these mounts - http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Pro-Quick-Detachable-Mount/dp/B00CJ7F3MW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408126602&sr=8-1&keywords=utg+pro+ak+mount
I haven't shot the rifle yet with it on but it mounted with ease.  I tightened it down so it's snug.  It sits nice and low and with the PA red dot mounted, my check weld is not much different than with just irons.  It didn't add any substantial weight to the rifle or change the balance.
I removed the rail piece on the side as I think that's stupid.

For just the mount, I paid $53.00 after shipping.  I was going to get one of the RS mounts or the new Arsenal mount but didn't feel like paying $130.00 - $180.00.
Anyways, I just wanted to share my initial thoughts and pictures in case anyone is interested in one of these (haven't found much online about them).

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I don't really see what you gained over the standard AK side mount. I used the Ultimak gas tube rail combo and a riser that allows me to use irons AND my PA MD 06. Some complained they thought it was too high. It works for me because I practice with it, and does not limit my sight choices. Plus, the riser is QD via a tee nut that takes about 2 seconds to remove.

That being said, if YOU like the mount, and it accomplishes what you were looking for in a mount, then I would say you succeeded.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
That's kind of a weird response.  Please tell me what a standard AK side mount is and what I said I was trying to "gain" over one?

Regardless, I really didn't post to say this mount was better than any other mount.  I didn't post to justify my purchase.  I didn't post to get into an argument.  I simply posted to give the mount a little more exposure in case anyone was thinking about buying one.

I'm glad you like your setup, it sounds like it works for you and I say you succeeded :)

Take good care!
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Be interested in how it holds up, report back after some range time.

Looks to be in my budget range as much as I would like some of the others not going to happen right now.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quality probably isn't any worse than the BP-02.  I've had some truly shitty BP-02s in my time.

Looks like a decent mount.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's kind of a weird response.  Please tell me what a standard AK side mount is and what I said I was trying to "gain" over one?

Regardless, I really didn't post to say this mount was better than any other mount.  I didn't post to justify my purchase.  I didn't post to get into an argument.  I simply posted to give the mount a little more exposure in case anyone was thinking about buying one.

I'm glad you like your setup, it sounds like it works for you and I say you succeeded :)

Take good care!
View Quote

I thought you were pointing this mount out to be something of a different design from the more common? military designed AK sidemount. I am not at all familiar with side mounted scopes on AKs and was not able to distinguish any differences, other than possibly the QD feature. Not arguing, just wondering why/if this mount was/is different in something other than price. Sound like it is good mount especially in that it seems to center well. AAR after a few hundred rounds for durability etc.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:36:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Be interested in how it holds up, report back after some range time.

Looks to be in my budget range as much as I would like some of the others not going to happen right now.

Thanks.
View Quote

I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for and I personally only run the rs regulate mounts. the damn thing is nearly indestructible. that being said if you are happy with it and it fits your goals then enjoy the hell out of it and good purchase
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Been looking for while for a reasonable priced mount.

Was liking the MI being low mount and at the top of the budget for this gun and reading the reviews on all of them the same issues seem to pop up.

It seems that many of issues is with the tolerances and variations in the side mounts on the rifles themselves as far as being square, level and centered in a major percentage of the time.

Without being able to see one and try it in person on your gun kind of hard to pick one.

Any advice or a better guide out there?

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been looking for while for a reasonable priced mount.

Was liking the MI being low mount and at the top of the budget for this gun and reading the reviews on all of them the same issues seem to pop up.

It seems that many of issues is with the tolerances and variations in the side mounts on the rifles themselves as far as being square, level and centered in a major percentage of the time.

Without being able to see one and try it in person on your gun kind of hard to pick one.

Any advice or a better guide out there?

Thanks

View Quote

Why not save a bit longer and go with the RS Regulate mount? The top half is adjustable over bore and once centered, tighten and forget about it (I use red loctite). Mine has survived the push up test being used between me (5'5", 180lbs) and my best friend (6'6", 279 lbs), I have dropped my ak directly onto my red dot off a truck, general use and abuse run-n-gun, still is 100%, holds zero, and taking it off and throwing/tossing my optic/mount, dropping it, and putting it back on, still holds zero. It's a quality, no bullshit piece of gear
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:25:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Follow up report:

I finally had a chance to take the mount/red dot for a spin.  After I zeroed the red dot, I removed the mount from the rifle then reattached it to verify return to zero capability.  Sure enough it did.  I ended up shooting about 350 rounds and it never lost zero, loosened, or had any other issue.  I'm very pleased with this setup and think I'll get another for a magnified optic I have laying around.

Take care!

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks OP for the close up mounting pictures. From the side, this looks to be a much improved version of the previous gen UTG QD side mount, which has been the old standby for my Accupoint TR24 scopes.
What's funny is after trying both the TWS gen 2 mount and the latest RS gen 2 setup, I had to move the scope back onto the UTG QD mount. Both high end mounts failed to work properly on my Saigas and SGL-21. Both companies have fantastic customer-service. The UTG locking system has its advantages over the RS 303.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I just ordered one of these. I'll come back and post after I try it out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#13]
FWIW.. the UTG 978 has been around since 2007 and is almost the same thing for like $35..

Held zero on all 4 of my Saigas from 545-308 with no issues..
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top