Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 4:51:21 PM EDT
In the effort of trying new things with my AK, I'm looking at picking up one of the Primary Arms mini-red dot/ultimak rail combos. Felt like maybe I should try the whole forward-mounted red dot thing.

What I'm concerned about, though, is the possibility of heat killing the sight during heavy shooting sessions. I know something like an Aimpoint T1/H1 would take it much better, but that's outside my budget for it right now.

Has anybody with this specific combo (The Ultimak & PA Micro-Dot) had any issues with heat? Would I be better off with, say, a Fast Fire II instead?

The other option I was considering was an Aimpoint Pro on a RS Regulate full-length mount fitted to the side rail, in preparation for an AccuPoint 1-4x. Or maybe just the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If the aimpoint is in your budget, and your thinking about the aimpoint anyways, I would say get the aimpoint. The compm4 with MI side mount is nice and low, quick detach, and cowitnesses.

Never used a PS micro, but a lot of people have that set up, so i wouldnt worry about the heat.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Should be fine unless you like to do mag dumps
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#3]
No experience with the PA on the ultimak but I have the Bushnell TRS-25 and that thing has been hot enough to grill a steak on many times and has never had a problem.  The battery life is outstanding as well, I left the thing on in the safe for over 3 weeks and the dot hasn't even began to dim yet (original battery).
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a PA microdot on a Krebs short rail, and it has performed great with the heat so far.  I've gotten the rail way too hot to touch without gloves.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I just put a PA micro and ultimak on my 74.  I zeroed it yesterday and didn't see any problems yesterday.  I'm interested in seeing if the heat damages the sight.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]
2,000 rounds (5.45mm) through my Ultimak and PA MD. Zero issues. The Ultimak gets hot, but as long as you aren't firing a lot of full auto or doing a lot of mag dumps, the PA MD should hold up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#7]
There are a lot of people using PA micros on Ultimak rails, myself included, and I am not aware of any issues.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Never had a problem when I was running this set-up, only reason I dropped it was due to unacceptable front-heaviness, just threw the balance off too much for me, I did have it on a heavy rifle to start with though. No problems with heat at all.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive got a SBR Draco with a PA microdot and an Ultimak.  no issues..
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 2:36:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I have that setup on two of my rifles, and I haven't had a bit of trouble out of the optics due to heat or anything else.

The only issue I had, and it's a small one, is that if you mount the optic too far back on the rail, gas blowing out of the gap between the UltiMAK and the rear sight base will cloud up the ocular lens of the sight.

Moving the optic one rail section forward solves the problem.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top