Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 6:55:20 PM EDT
I just got a brand new SLR104-31 (polymer side-folding stock).  The folding stocks with the sling mount on the "outside" of the stock (for a right handed shooter) is a bit new to me.  With my AR's I usually run a VTAC 2-point padded sling along with a IWC 2-to-1 Tri-glide so that I can convert it to a single point as needed.  I don't plan on changing out the original side-folding polymer stock so I was wondering what my options for slings might be with the SLR?

I've seen the videos of guys using the regular 2-point sling and transitioning to a sidearm by poking their head and arm through the sling and letting it hang while they draw their pistol.  However, I don't feel comfortable doing that in a class.  Not to mention, for me at least, it would be clumsy to let the rifle hang that way and clumsier yet transitioning back to the rifle.

I don't plan on swapping out the AK stock for an AR style stock so I was hoping I could get some sling recommendations that would work with the SLR mounts.  Would that work with...maybe...a Magpul MS2 or MS3 sling...or maybe a VTAC sling when the rear sling mount is on the outboard side of the stock (for a right handed shooter)?  Or would that cause me problems?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you seen this video?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I recently purchased an SLR-107f and wanted a good sling option.  I prefer to run the new MS1 slings and found that the MAGPUL Paraclips lock in perfectly to the forward AK sling loop and can be used with the standard rear sling mount.  

Instead of doing this I chose to use an Echo93 3-QD sling mount which mounts between the receiver and pistol grip and allows me to connect their and sling raps over the stock, and if folded around the back of the receiver perfectly.

The MS1 is very similar to the VTAC but slightly thicker and can be used with a Paraclip.

MS1 with option paraclip

Below is my rifle setup

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I use an Echo 93 mount and a Magpul MS3 sling (dual clip) on my AK.

I really like the single point setup for pistol transitions and switching to support side.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone.

I just ordered myself a Echo93 V1

That looks like it will do the trick.  I watched the video on the QD side-mount version but I really preferred my sling mount point to be the rear of the receiver instead of on either side.  I'm sure you can train around it, but for me, if my Sling was on the outboard side of the rifle I'd be getting all hung up on it every time I needed to shoulder the rifle or switch shoulders.  I'm sure it can be done just fine, but for me, I'd most likely make a mess out of it.

However, after visiting his site and looking around I found that V1 attachment.  I'm a little bit concerned that it won't work with the reinforcement plate above the grip on my SLR-104 but after some googling I did read about some folks that it worked fine for.  I'm also a tad concerned that the angle it comes downwards at might get in my way, but most of the reviews I read seem to say thats not a problem.

Either way, it looks like it will work perfect with an extra Magpul MS2 Sling I have sitting around in a box that isn't being used for anything.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the Echo and a sling made by Razor Six Tactical.

They made a sling that was dedicated to the AK and other series.

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top