Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 2:03:59 PM EDT
Has anyone experienced the PA AKARS rail bowing when installing the top cover? Is this common?

This is what I'm experiencing.

TIA.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Your level isn't even touching the rail on the right side in your first pic...  also what are you going off to try to get a level reading?  It just needs to be close to paralell with the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you still have the rear sight leaf in or something? Looks like something is stopping the rail itself in the front, and when you go to lock in the dust cover it's trying to drag the rear down.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:22:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you still have the rear sight leaf in or something? Looks like something is stopping the rail itself in the front, and when you go to lock in the dust cover it's trying to drag the rear down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, it's installed per the manufactures instructions. I think the photo below show the cause.

Quoted:

Your level isn't even touching the rail on the right side in your first pic...  also what are you going off to try to get a level reading?  It just needs to be close to paralell with the barrel.

I know,I'm using the level as a straight edge to show the bow in the rail. Here's a photo without the top cover rail guide, which shows that the rail hits the top cover before it is parallel, which I think is causing the bow.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh I see it now.  It almost looks like your gas block's rear sight hole is lower to the top cover than the AKARS is designed for.  Have you contacted PA yet regarding it?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Which type of AK are you installing it on? It looks like a WASR 10/63 because of the triangle/arrow stamping, but it has magwell dimples and no rail side mount. Unlike a WASR.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Which type of AK are you installing it on? It looks like a WASR 10/63 because of the triangle/arrow stamping, but it has magwell dimples and no rail side mount. Unlike a WASR.
View Quote

Its a Romanian. 'Romy G'

My dad had an AKARS. It fit my SAM7 perfectly but would not install correctly on his Allied Armament Polish underfolder or his Maadi.

Tough to make drop in accessories for a firearm that is sort of standardized, then chopped up and rebuilt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oh I see it now.  It almost looks like your gas block's rear sight hole is lower to the top cover than the AKARS is designed for.  Have you contacted PA yet regarding it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, not word from them.

I'm leaning towards this.

Quoted:

Tough to make drop in accessories for a firearm that is sort of standardized, then chopped up and rebuilt.

Link Posted: 5/10/2014 5:38:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Just an update, at present, I have attached the mount to a AK74, which had the least flexing of the rail. I zeroed an Aimpoint Comp M2 last Week @ about 26 yards. It wasn't very far and I was shooting prone, with a Hoppe's rifle rest. I was just plinking, not trying for a tight group, but to adjust where the round impacted.

I then brought the gun home and completely dissembled for cleaning, and removed the Aimpoint from rail. Checked the set screws and everything was secure. I re-assembled the rifle, and shot it this past Thursday.

First 3 shots, the impact of the rounds shifted to the right.

I fired a 6 more times to develop a pattern.

Then, I stripped the rifle down again and re-assembled.

Then, I fired a 30 round magazine slowly and the hits shifted to the right even more.

Maybe it's my sight picture, so I will go for round two, and re-zero and see what happens.

I purchased another AKARS for test fitting and it has the same rail flexing. I haven't messed with the AK47 it's on yet.

I still haven't heard from PA, about the rail issue.

Edited to add, the ammo was your standard 7n6
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#9]
The AKARS proves yet again to be a terrible mounting system for optics.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck getting a response from Parabellum,  they're good at accepting money but not much else.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I have had no such problems with the AKARS on my Norinco. Most of my shooting is done at 100yards with occasional 200 yard targets. No probs with maintaining 'zero.'

I do not care what piece of equipment there is, not everyone will have great results and in fact experiences may vary depending on the particular weapon even if they are the same brand.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 2:37:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the problem I'm encountering is leaning towards my cheek weld.

Yesterday, I took the rifle back to the range and attempted to re-zero the Aimpoint. I fired four 3-shot groups to adjust the elevation and windage.

Then fired this awful looking mess, with both eyes open. I focused more on keeping the red dot centered, in the Aimpoint, and on the Paper Plate.

I disassembled the rifle out of sheer frustration, and then shot this target with one eye closed. I didn't not focus on keeping the red dot centered in the Aimpoint, but a tight cheek weld.

I brought the rifle home, completely dissembled  and cleaned the rifle.

Here's what I shot today.

Better than before, but I'll see what happens with the AK47.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 3:01:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Though my EoTech is a bit higher than your Aimpoint, getting a proper cheek weld was impossible using the AK stock. You might be on to something here.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#14]
The Dogleg is pretty good, but I'd say sell the AKARS and get the Attero mount.  I've had pretty much every mount there is, except the AKARS, and the Attero is the one mount that I loved 100%.
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 5:43:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Though my EoTech is a bit higher than your Aimpoint, getting a proper cheek weld was impossible using the AK stock. You might be on to something here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, there is a lot space.

Quoted:
The Dogleg is pretty good, but I'd say sell the AKARS and get the Attero mount.  I've had pretty much every mount there is, except the AKARS, and the Attero is the one mount that I loved 100%.

Could post up some picture of the  Attero mount installed?

TIA
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#16]
The Attero mount attaches to the rear sight base just like the AKARS and others. I can't see it being any more stable.

I needed the longer rails of the AKARS in any case for the magnifier.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Tried both the Attero and the AKARS, neither were stable enough to achieve an initial zero in the first place. Stick to side rail or Ultimak. Only top cover worth a damn right now is the Zenit one.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:27:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tried both the Attero and the AKARS, neither were stable enough to achieve an initial zero in the first place. Stick to side rail or Ultimak. Only top cover worth a damn right now is the Zenit one.
View Quote

You must be mistaken, or installed the Attero wrong.  That thing is every bit as stable as a side rail.  You may be thinking about the MI mini dot mount.  That thing is junk.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Attero works.

AKARS works...

at least for me it does and the zero is repeatable.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top