Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2014 5:29:20 PM EDT
I've always been an AR-15 person, but I've finally caught the AK fever.  After researching your advice here, I bought my first one.  I've bought four Circle 10 30 round mags and a Mag-Lula loader for them, and am using the sling that came with the gun.  Now I'm trying to figure out what else I need.  As some here suggest, I'm going to shoot the gun first and polish the Arsenal trigger before deciding if I want a replacement.  I have an extra Aimpoint with Picatinny mount I want to put on it.  I wanted a bayonet, but I saw a video where a guy put one on his SLR107FR and it quickly rubbed the finish down to bare metal.  

I have the following items in my cart at MidwayDotCom, but decided to first ask yall if I'm heading in the right direction with these choices.  I don't want a gun where I can't tell where the add-ons end and the gun begins, like lights and bipods and vertical forend grips, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something basic that would be helpful.  Any advice yall could give will be greatly appreciated.  

- Midwest Industries Quick Detach Picatinny-Style Scope Mount
- US PALM Enhanced Pistol Grip Polymer Black (for my XXXLarge hands)
- Krebs Custom Hammer and Trigger Pin Retainer Plate
- Power Custom Recoil Buffer
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to buy:

·Ammo
·Ammo
·Mags
·More ammo
·A few more mags
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need to buy:

·Ammo
·Ammo
·Mags
·More ammo
·A few more mags
View Quote

+100 to this.

I will say however, that the US Palm grip is one of the best.
The red dot and mount are a good option, there are better mounts available; the red dot may help you shoot the rifle more accurately, as some have a difficult time with AK irons.
I run a Buffertech recoil buffer, but many people do not and may even advise against it; softens perceived recoil and prevents the bolt carrier from beating on the rear trunnion.
Shoot the gun with the factory trigger and if you don't like it or it gives you trigger slap, get a Tapco G2 and a retainer plate, otherwise, don't bother.
If you want a different muzzle brake, the Manticore Night Brake is on par with many of the more expensive brakes for significantly less.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#3]
If anyone else is an AK newbie and wondering what support equipment to get for your new toy, I ordered all the stuff I listed above, and here's what else I've been led to buy since then...
- 10 Yugo/Serbian magazines from SGArms
- 2000 rounds of ammo
- CrossTac Single/Double Point Sling
- Magna-Matic Front Sight Adjustment Tool
- An AR15.COM Bronze Membership
- A dremel tool is also a good item to have because the AK action is easy to polish.  

I've also made two tools that have been helpful.  The easy one is a trigger group slave pin.  It holds the trigger, disconnector, and disconnector spring together so you can drop them into the gun as one unit, and use the gun's trigger pin to push the slave pin through the trigger group and out the other side of the gun.  It's a 3/16"  thick steel rod, 1 3/16" long (actually 0.175" x 1.20").  The other one is a front site breaker.  One of the guys here broke his Magna-Matic site adjuster on his SLR-107FR, so I made a tool to loosen stuck front sites, from a 5/16" stainless steel bolt.
I really appreciate all the help you guys here have given me.

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top