Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/23/2010 10:37:01 AM EDT
It seems that the Aimpoint Micro seems to be the most popular way to go for optics on AK's.

How much bigger is the sight picture through a Comp M3 vs the Micro. Is it a noticable difference.

Looking at one or the other on TWS Dog Leg so the optic is back farther on the rifle.

I think bigger would be better for target acquisition..

Still co witness with a low 30mm ring?

What the good word?
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a Russian mount that allows M3 CCO cowitness and you can get handguards that allow Micros to be mounted.  I have a M3 and if I had to do it again I would go with a Micro.  Yea the dot is bigger but the sight is smaller and lighter and just seems less in the way than the M3.  From 0-150m your sight pix with either one is a non issue.
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a CompC3 on an Ulitmak in a now discontinued Springfield Armory very low ring.  Co-witness in the lower 1/3.  Once the Aimpoint is positioned out that far, you are only viewing a very small part of the scene through the optic, so it doesn't make much difference.  The Aimpoint micro sights are about 5 ounces lighter however.

Link Posted: 9/24/2010 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice piece.

All points well taken.

TWS Dog Leg ( Gen 1 or Gen 2 ) with the Comp M3 over the dust cover could balence the rifle out more??? Perhaps.

Difference in battery life/cost?
Link Posted: 9/24/2010 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
TWS Dog Leg ( Gen 1 or Gen 2 ) with the Comp M3 over the dust cover could balence the rifle out more??? Perhaps.

Yes, but interferes with the support hand coming over the top of the receiver to operate the charging handle.

Link Posted: 9/24/2010 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah dude, that more like what i was going for.

Def could be some problems with cross over charging.

Thanx for the input.

Seen some videos of people using their support hand ( forward hand ) to hold the rifle in tight to your shoulder, then using trigger hand to click out old mag with a new one, slam, then charge. Looks

a little harded to master but def a viable way of doing it.

Problem solved???
Link Posted: 9/24/2010 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Seen some videos of people using their support hand ( forward hand ) to hold the rifle in tight to your shoulder, then using trigger hand to click out old mag with a new one, slam, then charge. Looks

a little harded to master but def a viable way of doing it.

Problem solved???

Yes, perhaps.  In my case going to the Ultimak shaved off 10 ounces of weight (BP-02 mount), allows co-witnessing and no need to remove/disturb optics when cleaning.  I don't really notice the shift in balance that much with the support hand on the AFG.

Link Posted: 9/26/2010 4:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I have both a Comp C3 and a Micro.  Honestly, they both have their better and worse points.  I use the Micro the most, but I get a better view through the C3 and it has a 2 moa dot which seems to help me get slightly better groups.  The Micro is much lighter and easier to make quick detach using the $30 lever kit.  For the AK platform IMHO, the micro works better overall.
Link Posted: 9/26/2010 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#8]
The micro for up front, the M3 for rear mount applications.
Link Posted: 9/27/2010 8:04:37 AM EDT
[#9]
kinda what i was thinking.
Link Posted: 9/28/2010 1:43:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree.  I had the CompC3 so I decided to give it a try and so far, it works just fine.  The key to success is to use an uber-low ring, such as the now discontinued Springfield Armory ring that I purchased from Brownells a few years ago.  Otherwise, a micro version is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/28/2010 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have both a Comp C3 and a Micro.  Honestly, they both have their better and worse points.  I use the Micro the most, but I get a better view through the C3 and it has a 2 moa dot which seems to help me get slightly better groups.  The Micro is much lighter and easier to make quick detach using the $30 lever kit.  For the AK platform IMHO, the micro works better overall.

What lever kit are you referring to?  Pics?
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#12]
anyone know what the lowest mount availible out there is?
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you mean lowest ring, I used the stock ring with my comp m3 and it works fine. If you want a QD mount UltiMAK sells this thumbscrew one. If you mean lowest optic mount, the UltiMAK is the only one that will get you co-witnessing on the gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I believe the one above is the lowest you can find.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you mean lowest ring, I used the stock ring with my comp m3 and it works fine. If you want a QD mount UltiMAK sells this thumbscrew one. If you mean lowest optic mount, the UltiMAK is the only one that will get you co-witnessing on the gas tube.

The Aimpoint ring is a good, beefy ring that sits nice and low.  I use it on a couple of rifles, but not with an Ultimak in either case.  Very solid overall.

Link Posted: 10/2/2010 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Aimpoint makes a quick detach lever that goes right on the micro.  I got it from Brownells for like 36 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Aimpoint makes a quick detach lever that goes right on the micro.  I got it from Brownells for like 36 bucks.

Does this make the optic sit higher or does it replace the current mount on the micro?  Also, would it work with a non-Aimpoint micro red dot  like the TRS-25 by Bushnell?
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#18]
If you want to be low/cowitness centered over bore - check out the mount I am producing.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top