Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2016 3:30:32 PM EDT
I got some of the polish surplus mags from AIM and some have a small amount of dirt/sand with light rust on the springs and floor plates. The outside finish is fine thought.

Is this normal?
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Most surplus stuff looks well used.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#2]
A used commodity good, and they didn't clean them before selling them to you?!

< img > shocked.png < /img >
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A used commodity good, and they didn't clean them before selling them to you?!

< img > shocked.png < /img >
View Quote

They refinished them at least. I wasn't exactly sure if surplus means sit in a warehouse for 20 years or be used in the field for 20 years.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
it could mean either/or

surplus mags come in a variety of conditions from sealed in wrap never used, to no finish - rusted - dented heavily worn

pay attention to the description of the mags you are buying

if you want them pristine, look for excellent/like new descriptions... those should really have no wear on them at all

look at the metal follower when you get the mags, if it is scratched up really good you can tell that a lot of rounds have been cycled through it
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Normal. Just cause they're refinished on the outside doesn't mean anyone has opened them up and cleaned/refurbished the inside.

But usually any mag that HAS been refinished is straight & dent free.

Best grade mags I ever got were the Hungarians from SGAmmo. Like new inside & out, but they were around $15 and that was several years ago.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But usually any mag that HAS been refinished is straight & dent free.
View Quote

For the most part these were working fine, but I did have one that the follower was sticking because of a dent. I stuck the handle of a crescent wrench down the mag and twisted it sideways. This fixed it enough for the follower to glide back and forth again.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top