Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2016 7:41:28 PM EDT
Hey All,

I purchased some "experienced" AK-47 com bloc metal magazines and several of them are dented to the point that the follower doesn't slide freely.

What is the preferred method to remove / reduce dents so the magazines will run smoothly again?

Thanks to Each & All for your helpful replies!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive used wedges of wood and a flathead or you could use a chisel shaped tool and sockets
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:03:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#3]
The dents are smallish, but the damn banana curve shape and the ribs on the sides make it difficult to try and get something between the lips and down the body...

Dang - on 2nd reading that, it sounds like something "other than" magazine repair...  

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone remember those 'old school' shoe stretchers, they looked like a foot that was split down the middle, you'd slip them in shoes and crank on it to separate it and widen your shoe?
I wish someone made something like that for mags.

I was tempted to try to make a form out of wood that mimic'd the curve of the mag but I've already got all the mags I need, don't plan to pound out any more dents.

I had a screw driver with a head that was slightly wider than a magazine body, I'd slip that in from the bottom and rotate it 90 degrees, worked for every dent I came across. But I've only repaired about a dozen surplus mags.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 6:02:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Ratchet, with or without the socket. The handle-end of some tools work well. If you have an old flat-head screwdriver that's past it's useful life, try bending it in a vise near the end to make a mini pry bar (the cheaper the screwdriver the more pliable the steel, I'd think).
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 1:23:55 AM EDT
[#6]
closed end of a wrench, mount the wrench in a vise and work the mag over it.

Sometimes it might be better to drill out the dent, extra witness hole.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had good luck with a wood handled hammer, oval in cross section.  Note where binding occurs, remove floorplate, spring and follower, then locate hammer handle at tight spot and turn hammerhead to wedge body sides apart there.  See if follower drops by without binding.  Repeat as necessary.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I use a 5/8 bolt 10-12 inches long. Head will be about 23mm wide. You'll need to file it down to about 21mm.

It'll remove most dents, on the tougher ones, stop the bolt under the dent and pop the mag lightly with a rubber mallet.

You can really get fancy and shape the 21mm head into a square so you can do the corners of the mag if they are damaged....
fwiw

The real deal:

http://www.mckay-ent.com/tools/magazine-shaping-mandrel.html

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:11:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
closed end of a wrench, mount the wrench in a vise and work the mag over it.

Sometimes it might be better to drill out the dent, extra witness hole.
View Quote

I have one that's pretty bad, I hadn't thought to drill it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got one with a pretty good dent I haven't been able to knock out with a block. I'm going to drill the opposite side and hammer it with a punch.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quake is right drilling works well.  I had one with a small but deep dent that I couldn't seem to get out, drilling a 3/16 hole removed the problem.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Automotive paintless dent repair tools work as well:
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

$619!? Not at that price.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#14]
To be clear, that's a machine tool grade inner die.  While it's expensive, it's actually a pretty good deal. Its target market are the guys buying massive bulk import mags where repairs are needed to not toss 300 out of 1000 mags in the dumpster.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top