Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2016 2:18:34 AM EDT
First off, yes I tried the search engine.  Nothing came up.  I recently purchased 10 combloc steel AK mags from SGAmmo (great company by the way).  They all look great, very very minimal rust on one of them. Three of them have a "10" inside of a circle on the spine  (just like my Arsenal AK) two of them have a "C2" on the spine and the rest of them have nothing on the mag anywhere.  However, none of  them seemed to have any "cosmoline" anywhere on them.  I am fairly aquatinted with cosmoline as  I worked at a car dealership for some years (Acura) and the entire car came covered in cosmoline.  We had a 55 gallon drum of some type of "degreaser" that we used to get it off.  Anyway, there didn't seem to be any grease on them anywhere.  They look great, fit great in my AK, and are generally great ,mags.  Can cosmo harden to the point of looking like paint? Am i missing something?  I cleaned them all with Gunzilla and they look good.  I was under the assumption that all combloc mags were covered in this stuff.  Did I get lucky or screwed.  Anyone?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't say you were screwed unless they are Korean mags, which 5 of them are not for sure. I have gotten plenty of surplus mags that did not have cosmoline on them, mainly Romanians.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#2]
SGA also cleans the mags, in some instances, before they sell them. They had a span where a lot of folks were complaining about cosmo.

If you're unhappy with them, I'll take them off your hands.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:27:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Bulgaria still makes steel AK mags so they may be newer production
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:01:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I've purchased many combloc magazines that did not have cosmoline covering them, and I have always been thankful when they arrive that way.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, same here, the better the condition, the less likely they'll have cosmoline.
Typically, anything listed as scratched/dented/rusted/pitted wasn't cleaned beforehand, but almost everything else was clean.
I've never heard of cosmoline hardening to the point it bonds to a surface.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top