Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/3/2016 1:47:54 AM EDT
….at the SHOT SHOW this year.  Let's hope they do a good job if it's true.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:36:06 AM EDT
[#1]
If they don't have steel reinforced locking lugs, they won't be any better than Tapco '74 mags.  They feed fine, but the lugs shear off with hard use because they are all polymer.

That said, I'll buy one if they do just to try it. But my Polish and Bulgy mags are still my go to mags for the '74, they all have steel locking lugs.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the old MAGPUL AK mags and they have held up well.  The new ones do have metal locking lugs...  
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the old MAGPUL AK mags and they have held up well.  The new ones do have metal locking lugs...  
View Quote

Then I'm in!
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:43:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Then I'm in!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I'm in!

If they follow their '47 mags they will have 14 dollar polymer and 27 dollar reinforced. IMO that'd be a home run. (Well just the reinforced ones are the home run, the poly are an RBI)
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If they follow their '47 mags they will have 14 dollar polymer and 27 dollar reinforced. IMO that'd be a home run. (Well just the reinforced ones are the home run, the poly are an RBI)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I'm in!

I'd like to see some tanker length reinforced '74 Pmags.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#6]
       <snip> please make political posts in GD. Stick to tech subjects in the Technical Forums. dryflash3  
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#7]
At $27 they are too high priced over the surplus I already own, The price is easier to justify if you don't own any mags.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
At $27 they are too high priced over the surplus I already own, The price is easier to justify if you don't own any mags.
View Quote

Got into the 74 game late... Unlike the '47 $26 per mag looks like a good price on today's market.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#9]

I hope they do, and do it up right.

i really like the 5.45

I got a bunch of military ones, back when they were cheap

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 2:06:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

True, you can get good com block 74 mags for $29 as it is.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Rest assured they will gentleman. Why, you ask?  I just got 12 Bulgarian circle 12 and 21 mags. So of course cheaper mags will be introduced.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 3:58:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rest assured they will gentleman. Why, you ask?  I just got 12 Bulgarian circle 12 and 21 mags. So of course cheaper mags will be introduced.
View Quote

Where you get them from?
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I would have preferred if they offered these '74 mags in 5.56mm first;

-seems like there are plenty of surplus 5.45 mags, but it's tough to find 5.56mm Yugo magazines.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Where you get them from?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where you get them from?

Private party
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would have preferred if they offered these '74 mags in 5.56mm first;

-seems like there are plenty of surplus 5.45 mags, but it's tough to find 5.56mm Yugo magazines.
View Quote

The Yugos are the easiest to find, and usually the cheapest.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 3:05:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll probably buy a few of they look decent, the 7.62 mags look goofy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 1:54:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines.html#manufacturer=BULGARIAN

14.99 at CDNN. Steel-lined...

Edit: nevermind. Junky aftermarket Bulgarian "commercial" mags. A video linked in another post seems to show no reinforcement on the lugs, either.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#18]
AK-74 mag announced today (or at least I got the email today).  Linkety link.

Edit - Looks like it's MOE, so no steel reinforcement I guess?

Still, for $13 range mags, I can live with that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought several of the 4 packs for $12 when Ohio Rapid Fire had them on sale about 10 years ago.  I should have bought more
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I got a shit ton of East German bakelits, along with a handful of Russian Plums; none have ever quit on me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Have to wonder why they just didn't make the Gen 3 mags instead of these without the reinforcements.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Have to wonder why they just didn't make the Gen 3 mags instead of these without the reinforcements.
View Quote
Because most people are cheap and won't purchase a $27 magazine.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope a gen 3 follows soon after, I've only had a 5.45 for a couple years and could always use more mags
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep it's official I just got the email from Magpul this evening. It will be released this coming summer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#25]
No reinforcements...
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Now someone has to figure out how to covert them for use with 5.56mm.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:46:15 PM EDT
[#27]
I would be most interested in extended capacity magazines, if they made an affordable alternative to the 45 round RPK mags, say priced at about 30 bucks with metal reinforcements. Most everyone who shoot their 74s already has a few surplus mags, has tapcos already for range use, and would prefer the surplus mags to the steel reinforced Pmags if they are priced the same (around 30 bucks).

If Magpul could come out with this 45 round steel reinforced mag at a reasonable price, I think they would sell like hotcakes as an affordable alternative to the surplus market.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because most buyers don't harbor fantasies about post-apocalyptic war?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#29]
the 74 mags will be just like the akm mags , moe coming first then reinforced . 762 2o round mags come after shot.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I have heard and from what I have experienced with my own moe mags, they work just fine without the metal reinforcements. Polymer isn't plastic like most people seem to think. all polymer ar mags have been proven in combat. I don't get the hype. But what do I know, I'm not a teir-1-nijna-badass-operator.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#31]
All Polymer AR mags are a different beast, the AR magwell full supports the mag, the mag catch holds the mag in, if the gun gets dropped all stress points get distributed around the mag well.

With the AK the mag well is not supported at all, ALL stress gets directed to one spot, the rear locking lug. That lug is a big deal on the AK and yeah, for a range mag that's just fine if it's polymer,  but if you hit the ground hard going prone, or really put those mags to use, those polymer lugs are going to break or deform.

So yeah if you're a bench shooter, or someone who casually shoots an AK the MOE line is fine, but an all polymer AR mag does not compare to an all polymer AK mag.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
All Polymer AR mags are a different beast, the AR magwell full supports the mag, the mag catch holds the mag in, if the gun gets dropped all stress points get distributed around the mag well.

With the AK the mag well is not supported at all, ALL stress gets directed to one spot, the rear locking lug. That lug is a big deal on the AK and yeah, for a range mag that's just fine if it's polymer,  but if you hit the ground hard going prone, or really put those mags to use, those polymer lugs are going to break or deform.

So yeah if you're a bench shooter, or someone who casually shoots an AK the MOE line is fine, but an all polymer AR mag does not compare to an all polymer AK mag.
View Quote

Or if you already haves ton of good mags these are a good supplement. At least IMO
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

With any luck they will accept Magpul 5.56 followers. You may just not be able to load a full 30 Rd.

I'll order one when they're released and find out. I bet they do.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Poland has been issuing polymer mags with no reinforcement at the rear tab since the 90s, and just recently dropped all reinforcement t altogether in their newest issued green translucent mags. They claim their polymer formulation is strong enough that they are no longer needed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Or if you already haves ton of good mags these are a good supplement. At least IMO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, in addition to the simple fact that if you go around dropping your shit all the time you deserve to break your mags. That's how you learn not to drop your shit.

I have an ample supply of milsurp mags should the need for hard use arise, but they mostly just sit in storage because I always reach for the polymer mags when it's time to shoot. I've yet to break a single $7 Tapco magazine, and even if I did, I'm only out $7. How many thousands of rounds can I put through a single $7 magazine before I feel like I've gotten my money's worth? How many $7 magazines can I buy for the cost of a single Circle 10? Granted, MOEs aren't $7, but then Magpul aren't Tapco, are they?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Shot Show AK-74 Magpul

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 1:59:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

With any luck they will accept Magpul 5.56 followers. You may just not be able to load a full 30 Rd.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let's hope you're right!
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Im going hope for the best with this

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 3:10:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Well hell, I'd just as soon pick up some of the MOE mags for when I go shooting with my buds & save my Bulgarians. The nice thing about Magpul is they stand behind their product. Break the damned thing, they'll replace it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well hell, I'd just as soon pick up some of the MOE mags for when I go shooting with my buds & save my Bulgarians. The nice thing about Magpul is they stand behind their product. Break the damned thing, they'll replace it.
View Quote

They should be fine as long as you don't drop it on concrete or do retarded AK push-ups.

Save your commie surplus mags for the apocalypse urban warfare gun fights everyone thinks they're going to have.

I for one think this is great. Good cheap 74 mags may make me return to 5.45.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#41]
No thanks. I'll take E. German and Bulgarian real deal mags with steel lugs. Buy once, cry once. Go prone hard, or whack a tree or branch running through woods, and those plastic lugs snap.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I wish that Magpul would start making 40 round AK mags!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#43]
What is really needed is 5.56 mags for SLR-106s.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top