Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2015 5:39:35 AM EDT
What do you guys suggest ? I would like to stick with polymers but I don't understand why some of the are so expensive. I have been looking at circle 10s and magpuls with the steel insert but they seem ungodly expensive for what they are any particular reason why? Are there good alternatives to these two mags ? Just very frustrating trying to find decent priced mag that are not steel and not tapco shit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Any particular reason you're avoiding steel mags? They're all I use in my WASR and have been rock solid.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 6:36:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Mostly because they are heavier they rust they dent they are noisier. They also get very hot in the sun which how a lot of the range I shoot at is very sunny.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:09:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any particular reason you're avoiding steel mags? They're all I use in my WASR and have been rock solid.
View Quote

This. If you're eliminating using any steel mags, your missing out on the best mags for the AK.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This. If you're eliminating using any steel mags, your missing out on the best mags for the AK.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1000% on this. Also many of the polymer mags are too fat to fit into the Wasr magwell. Just get steel mags.  GARY
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:25:30 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll find steel mags are superior in the AK platform. I have a couple poly and while they work, I would never take one into war.
Visit SGAmmo and buy whatever steel mags he has. Most comblock mags are gtg. Welcome to the darkside!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
What mags in particular would you look for ? Hungarian ? Bulgarian? German? Polish?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What mags in particular would you look for ? Hungarian ? Bulgarian? German? Polish?
View Quote

All the above are good. I'd steer clear of US and Korean made mags.

If you really don't care for steel, have you considered bakelite?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought most considered Bakelite fragile ?
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's more fragile than steel, sure, but I think they'd be as durable as Circle 10 polymers. I saw more than plenty of them still servicable in Iraq & AFG. I did see some broken ones, but as long as you don't run over them with a truck or something stupid like that I would expect them to last forever. They're called bakelite, but they actually look like some kind of fiberglass when broken apart.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Any steel surplus mag is good to go. Steel commercial mags can be iffy so it's best to just steer clear of them (Korean, Croatian). Polymer mags are just fine for range use; Tapcos are actually quite good as all-poly AK mags go. As for Bakelite mags: they're nice to have but not as strong as steel (probably not as strong as steel-reinforced polymer) but considerably more expensive. They're also not actually made from Bakelite, but rather a type of phenolic resin different than Bakelite.

TL;DR: buy a crap ton of milsurp steel while you can get them cheaply (the Polish mag fairy just landed recently) but don't be afraid of $7 Tapco mags unless you're a super-karate-monkey-tier-1-operator-dude who's living in an actual war zone.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Circle 10's are "ungodly" expensive but considering Magpul M3 AK mags are $20 cheaper I would not put them in the ungodly category.

Considering polymer Magpul AR PMags have been issued & used in combat I would consider the M3 AK PMags as reliable as you can get in a poly AK mag. I have them and they run perfectly fine in my WASR and Sig 556Xi R. I see no functional difference between them & the Hungarian steel mags I have.

I would suggest you try a sampling of the available mags and go with what fits your budget and runs well in your rifle.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I also just purchased a WASR and went with this deal that I found in the "mag deals" thread here.

Reviews are good and they look great.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:22:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Circle 10's are "ungodly" expensive but considering Magpul M3 AK mags are $20 cheaper I would not put them in the ungodly category.

Considering polymer Magpul AR PMags have been issued & used in combat I would consider the M3 AK PMags as reliable as you can get in a poly AK mag. I have them and they run perfectly fine in my WASR and Sig 556Xi R. I see no functional difference between them & the Hungarian steel mags I have.

I would suggest you try a sampling of the available mags and go with what fits your budget and runs well in your rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The magpul steel reinforced mags I was finding were like $30. Maybe I will try buying some of those then just wish i knew some other ak people in my area to try some different ones first.

Quoted:
Any steel surplus mag is good to go. Steel commercial mags can be iffy so it's best to just steer clear of them (Korean, Croatian). Polymer mags are just fine for range use; Tapcos are actually quite good as all-poly AK mags go. As for Bakelite mags: they're nice to have but not as strong as steel (probably not as strong as steel-reinforced polymer) but considerably more expensive. They're also not actually made from Bakelite, but rather a type of phenolic resin different than Bakelite.

TL;DR: buy a crap ton of milsurp steel while you can get them cheaply (the Polish mag fairy just landed recently) but don't be afraid of $7 Tapco mags unless you're a super-karate-monkey-tier-1-operator-dude who's living in an actual war zone.

I just like having nice well built mags and not run of the mil commercial stuff. Also I have been reading that some of the polish ones have rust on the inside and the paint is very thick on the outside causing issues for some.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I purchased MagPul AK mags when I first got my latest AK, and the do work well, but the Commie Steel mags are THE Tough ones you just can't EVER kill or break.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#15]
AIM has Polish 30rnd steel mags for cheap. I suggest you get ten, shoot the fuck out of them with your WASR and you will be happy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:57:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
AIM has Polish 30rnd steel mags for cheap. I suggest you get ten, shoot the fuck out of them with your WASR and you will be happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I am reading that some a running into rust issues with these mags and the paint when applied was too thick for some aks

Quoted:
You'll find steel mags are superior in the AK platform. I have a couple poly and while they work, I would never take one into war.
Visit SGAmmo and buy whatever steel mags he has. Most comblock mags are gtg. Welcome to the darkside!

It appears that sgammo pretty much only has Hungarian mags seems like all surplus mags are starting to dry up ? Most sites I look at only seem to have 1 or 2 different ak mags in stock not counting ones made in the US.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:00:40 AM EDT
[#17]
The Polish mags at AIM are the best deal for AK mags right now.  If you need mags, I would stock up on those and then buy a few plastic mags for the range.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Polish mags at AIM are the best deal for AK mags right now.  If you need mags, I would stock up on those and then buy a few plastic mags for the range.
View Quote

buy them despite the possible pre existing rust issue and possible fitting issue ?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:38:29 AM EDT
[#19]
They are surplus mags at $10 a piece.  You might get a little lower price or a little better condition by waiting.  But, you might not.  At $10 a piece, you can't really go wrong with these.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Brownells and DSG Arms have Magpul M3 mags for $25.

Quoted:

The magpul steel reinforced mags I was finding were like $30. Maybe I will try buying some of those then just wish i knew some other ak people in my area to try some different ones first.

I just like having nice well built mags and not run of the mil commercial stuff. Also I have been reading that some of the polish ones have rust on the inside and the paint is very thick on the outside causing issues for some.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

buy them despite the possible pre existing rust issue and possible fitting issue ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A little surface rust is a non-issue with AK mags - it doesn't take much to clean them up. Also, fitting is part of AK ownership, so consider this your first lesson! If it really bothers you, Apex has unissued Polish mags available.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:13:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A little surface rust is a non-issue with AK mags - it doesn't take much to clean them up. Also, fitting is part of AK ownership, so consider this your first lesson! If it really bothers you, Apex has unissued Polish mags available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went ahead and ordered 10 we will see how it goes if I hate them I am sure i can ahng on to them for a while and next scare dump them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#23]
How'd these end up looking when they came in?  Are you happy with the fit?
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:21:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I use Hungarian steel and Magpul MOE and M3 mags in a WASR and Sig 556Xi R and they fit and run fine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What do you guys suggest ? I would like to stick with polymers but I don't understand why some of the are so expensive. I have been looking at circle 10s and magpuls with the steel insert but they seem ungodly expensive for what they are any particular reason why? Are there good alternatives to these two mags ? Just very frustrating trying to find decent priced mag that are not steel and not tapco shit.
View Quote

surplus steel are the best and anything plastic is shit

it's an AK, not a Mattel
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#26]
the gen2 magpuls are great and work well 12-15 a pop
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#27]
As others said Aim Surplus . $10 each polish .

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#28]
The days of unissued $2.99 E.G. magazines, and $8.00 Bulgarian waffles are over...
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like Magpul MOEs (all polymer no inserts) are what you want based on your criteria. No one makes a 'cheap' polymer/steel reinforced mag that I've seen.
Same for ARs, you can get cheap aluminum mags, or cheap poly mags. But hybrid poly/steel reinforced mags are pricey.

Although the Magpuls are absolutely better, I have plenty of Tapcos too and they've never failed. They're cheap enough to be expendable.

FWIW I've seen steel surplus mags wrapped in various materials to pad them for quiet, insulate them for heat or to add a high friction surface.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I  will only buy Circle 10 polymer or steel surplus mags no reason to trust your life to unproven stuff.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#31]
If you get steel mags from anywhere you may have to clean them up, and it is possible with any type of magazine that it will need fitting, doesn't matter if it is steel plastic or both.

Tapco mags are actually pretty good especially when you can get them for $5 sometimes.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top