Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2015 5:01:53 PM EDT
As there were some sales ongoing, I purchased 5 slickside Tapco mags.

They fit in all of the AK's and function without problems.

So, figuring that they have upped their game, I bought 10 black ones.

Annnd, none will fit - even in the good guns.

Apparently to thick in the sides, perhaps a tad too long on top as well.

Easily rectified with a dremel, but...
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, mine were like this at first as well. Once you jam them in a few times fully loaded, the problem corrects itself.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 3:15:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I got one a while back, picked up 5 more recently under $8 a piece.  Got a few of the fakelites, I'm going to try to refinish them to a closer depiction of bakelite.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:34:17 AM EDT
[#3]
This thread interests me greatly

Tapco mags suck royally, about 1 in 4 tries actually makes one fit in my M70. Its like doing a magic trick
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 3:07:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread interests me greatly

Tapco mags suck royally, about 1 in 4 tries actually makes one fit in my M70. Its like doing a magic trick
View Quote

Some mags have fitment issues with certain rifles, that hardly means they "suck royally." How do you know it's not your receiver that sucks royally? My M70AB2 doesn't care for anything but blued mags - no polymer, no paint over park. Every other rifle accepts every other magazine. That's part of AK ownership. I don't blame the magazines....
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 3:40:17 AM EDT
[#5]
As a minor update.

Some minor filing, and all fit in all of the guns, and feed well.

We'll see about long term...
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one.

It was tight at first but after a little fitting it locks up fine.

I abuse it pretty regularly, even still function has been 100%. They aren't my choice of mags, but I wouldn't feel bad if I had to use them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#7]
It's crazy how people can have such different experiences with Tapco mags.

I've never had any issues with lock up on any of my AK's. I've never had any jamming issues and I've seen them take a beating too.

I guess ymmv is very apt when talking about Tapco AK mags.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Being plastics, better tight than loose. You can always file to fit, not the other way which maybe TAPCO's philosophy!
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have used Tapco mags for yrs and have never had an issue.  Some needed a little filing / sanding but they have all worked well.  I have a bunch of Bulgarian Circle 10's and a couple of them needed slight filing too.  Don't worry if they need a little fitting.  Go very slow with the filing / sanding...don't over do it.  A slightly tight fit is OK for it will loosen up in time.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a bunch of tapco intrafuse mags that have been nothing but 100% flawless in my draco sbr.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 2:11:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Ordered a single 10/30 Tapco slick on accident, it fits fine in my WASR. Now I get to drill the rivet out. Gaping hole is what I'll be left with! Range mag.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine have been great.

Really all I buy now as I have 30+ steel ones and prefer the lighter weight ones for general range fun.

Ain't going to war with em so why not for $6 a mag when on sale
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting that the black ones seemed to be spec'd out different from the first batch. Most of mine are 20s so they're all waffle but I've heard from several people who swear the slab sides are narrower than the waffles.

I've had to file all of my waffle mags down to fit my WASR. I think this is where they get a 'POS' reputation. On the plus side they now have a nice solid fit with zero play, and when I got my Draco they fit the same.

My biggest complaint is that the mag spring seems weak compared to a surplus spring. But no failures.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Any issues leaving these loaded long term? I like storing my mags loaded so when I get time to go shoot I don't have to waste time loading up mags. Any mags that I can't leave loaded and aren't "collector" mags are useless to me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#15]
You can leave any coil-springed magazine loaded.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any issues leaving these loaded long term? I like storing my mags loaded so when I get time to go shoot I don't have to waste time loading up mags. Any mags that I can't leave loaded and aren't "collector" mags are useless to me.
View Quote

Same here, all my mags get stored loaded although usually downloaded one or two rounds. My oldest Tapcos are only about three years old but no issues. Springs don't care if they're stored compressed, they only wear when they're cycled (compressed & uncompressed).
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I know the springs would be fine, I'm concerned about the plastic feed lips distorting or cracking like on this Polish slick side mag in the photo. This one failed being stored loaded. It just popped apart in the gun cabinet.

Link Posted: 1/27/2016 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know the springs would be fine, I'm concerned about the plastic feed lips distorting or cracking like on this Polish slick side mag in the photo. This one failed being stored loaded. It just popped apart in the gun cabinet.

http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtribune.com/files/2015/04/AKMag-004.jpg
View Quote

That one looks like the polymer delaminated from the steel reinforcement. I doubt that would have happened with an all-polymer magazine.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Got 3 of the black ones.
They fit in the 3 AKs I tried, and functioned fine in a Mini Draco pistol.
Not bad for $8 each.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Got 3 of the black ones.
Not bad for $8 each.
View Quote

Where are people getting slick side mags for $6 or $8?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got 3 of the black ones.
Not bad for $8 each.

Not on sale right now, but still $8/ea.

If you get the variety pack they're less than $7/ea.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top