BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2015 2:00:54 PM EDT
I'm disappointed these are taking so long to hit the market.  Is Magpul having some manufacturing problems with these?  
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Patience. They're just starting to get their new line of products out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Patience. They're just starting to get their new line of products out.
View Quote

Well I hope their new AK mags are better than their new Glock mags.  

http://www.guns.com/2015/04/16/magpul-glock-mag-update-we-screwed-up/

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I've no experience with Magpul AK mags whatsoever since I use only Com-Bloc ones.  What has been the problem with the mags they've made to date?
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I've no experience with Magpul AK mags whatsoever since I use only Com-Bloc ones.  What has been the problem with the mags they've made to date?
View Quote

Flimsy construction.  Reports of cracking feed lips, cracking locking lugs, bulging when loaded, and not holding the full 30 round capacity.    

My $14 Magpul AK mags don't seem as sturdy as my $7 Tapcos.  I don't like to spend twice the price for something that's half as reliable.  

You can Google search Magpul vs Tapco AK mags for details.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I am hoping for them to get a gen 2 AK74 mag.
I do like the stocks and forearms that they are making now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Tapco  like Timex gets no respect but they keep on working.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am hoping for them to get a gen 2 AK74 mag.
I do like the stocks and forearms that they are making now.
View Quote

Yup!
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Good, never a problem with current mags.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

We have yet to hear of an AK/AKM MOE PMAG with "cracking feed lips, cracking locking lugs, bulging when loaded, and not holding the full 30 round capacity” that wasn’t due to damage from extreme and intentional mistreatment.

Regardless, the rear lug is the most abused point of a Kalashnikov magazine and therefore we will be offering a steel reinforced model (PMAG 30 AK/AKM GEN M3) for those who prefer that feature.  ETA late summer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Flimsy construction.  Reports of cracking feed lips, cracking locking lugs, bulging when loaded, and not holding the full 30 round capacity.    

My $14 Magpul AK mags don't seem as sturdy as my $7 Tapcos.  I don't like to spend twice the price for something that's half as reliable.  

You can Google search Magpul vs Tapco AK mags for details.

We have yet to hear of an AK/AKM MOE PMAG with "cracking feed lips, cracking locking lugs, bulging when loaded, and not holding the full 30 round capacity” that wasn’t due to damage from extreme and intentional mistreatment.

Regardless, the rear lug is the most abused point of a Kalashnikov magazine and therefore we will be offering a steel reinforced model (PMAG 30 AK/AKM GEN M3) for those who prefer that feature.  ETA late summer.

For example, in this test (1:30+), after a 3~4ft drop, the lug cracked and broke off the magazine.  I don't consider that drop extreme mistreatment.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rIst0B6N7w

Thanks for the ETA on these improved mags!  

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Well it HAD been frozen for 24 hours. That said the reinforced mags are definitely exciting considering the cost of ((10))s. I only got 1 gen 1 to try out, but not much frozen in lowland AZ.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you going to offer a "Bakelite" color and / or plum?
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Haha everyone bitching and fussing about how tapcos are better, then Magpul posts and everyone's mood changes.

What a fickle group we have here on arfcom.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Haha everyone bitching and fussing about how tapcos are better, then Magpul posts and everyone's mood changes.

View Quote

I love my tapco slab sides
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

My opinion certainly hasn't changed.  IMHO, the Tapcos are a better value than the current Magpuls.  

I posted a video (above) in which the Magpul AK mags failed a drop test.  The Tapcos mags survived a drop test by the same guy (video below).  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfMgrofafdc

That's why I was asking about the next generation of Magpuls in the OP.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for the vid!  It did take two 5' drops though (onto a hard steel plate and attached to a nine pound weapon)...
View Quote

...and frozen, don't forget.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I use steel combloc AK mags. I have a handful of tapco's and a couple magpuls, and have had no failures with either; when the new magpul versions come out I'll likely try one or two, but at first will wait & see how they do for other folks. Gonna let the "can't wait" guys do the beta testing...
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 6:25:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

They really nailed the plum color with their new Zhukov line. I'd love to see AK mags in that color. I'd like to see some smooth M3 AK-74 mags in plum, probably not a big enough market for a magpul to tap though. AK-74 mag prices suck, a reinforced PMAG in plum at under $40 would be killer. Would also like to see a more smooth sided or traditional looking Magpul AK mag.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#19]
5.56 mags for the Russian and Bulgarian variants would sell amazingly well against the circle 10 variants.

please tell me these are on a list of things to make
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm hoping for these as well.

The Magpul mags fit my Vepr perfectly. Tapcos won't fit the magwell. I've been happy with the Magpuls for the price, but I'm looking forward to the Gen 2 (or are we calling it Gen 3?).
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would doubt it since they have discontinued every magazine color besides black and sand.

Hopefully they'll at least release the AK mags in the sand color, so we can dye them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I would doubt it since they have discontinued every magazine color besides black and sand.

Hopefully they'll at least release the AK mags in the sand color, so we can dye them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DSG has Sand Gen 3 mags listed, so at least those are coming. I'm anticipating folks will have a formula for bakelite and plum colors pretty quickly after they hit the market.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Please make your AK pmags in 5.45 and 5.56.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should chime in on the thread in the Magpul forum. They need to hear from folks on this.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 for 5.45, surplus mags are becoming harder to find and are upwards of $25-$30 now.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

+1 for 5.45, surplus mags are becoming harder to find and are upwards of $25-$30 now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If history is any guide then that will change. While trending up over time they come and go in waves with prices following accordingly.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Any update on these improved Magpul AK mags?  I hear they still have the same old fragile plastic feed lips...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Any update on these improved Magpul AK mags?  I hear they still have the same old fragile plastic feed lips...
View Quote
I was just looking for this info the other day. I can't find any updates anywhere. Would be great to get an ETA.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

disappointing if true

in the context of AK enthusiasts: magpul missed the mark on these magazines... all they had to do was meet or exceed the bulgarian circle 10 magazine while keeping price lower
steel spines, lugs, and feedlips wrapped in polymer.  bring them to market for less than the bulgarian circle 10, which shouldn't be too hard considering they cost upwards of $40

then make a 40 round version and 20 round version.  the 20 round version should sell very well as there is no bulgarian equivalent and the hungarian steel 20s are ~$30... freaking take my money!

context of casual AK shooters: these mags will serve them well and will offer better durability than the generation 1 all polymer

I had hoped the delay was due to magpul rethinking their approach

if they produce a weaker magazine than the bulgarian circle 10 for around $25-$30 I will have a hard time buying them.  for that price I may as well get some excellent-new chinese steel, or east german... you can get beautiful surplus mags at $25 all day.  if the magpul magazines are $30, I may as well add the extra $10 and get the real deal bulgarians.  only reason I could see using these mags would be for 992R considerations.

depending on the final version released, I will probably still pick up 2 or 3 for the stash... but I had high hopes for these mags and keep thinking of what could have been

one day we may not be able to import foreign AK magazines, magpul may be the only option then
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Unless US Palm beefs up and drops in price and Tapco REALLY beefs up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:35:39 AM EDT
[#31]
They were supposed to be released at the end of this month (according to Duane from Magpul via Facebook about 2 months back, said it was coming along with an "invincible" Front Lug and that they were working on the rear lug.)

Its the end of August, they ARE NOT shipping and cannot find any updates or get any responses.

Will update if so!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#32]
FYI I just got the new Cabela's catalog ("shooting" version) and the gen 3 AK pmags are listed for sale in it now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

FYI I just got the new Cabela's catalog ("shooting" version) and the gen 3 AK pmags are listed for sale in it now.
View Quote
Cabela's website says: Backorderable - Estimated Ship Date in 4-5 weeks

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:47:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They should have had "Estimated" in Bold, being I was just told: The status is still the same, slight tweaks to optimize the rear lug. Unfortunately, the turn time to make these small changes is pretty long. We are very, very close however. They're great right now, but we want them PERFECT.

Atleast Magpul are taking their time so it will be the desired product when it's finally released. Im guessing they will ship between November and "ShotShow (January) 2016"!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 3:04:38 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm going to buy a few just because I loves the magpul.  
But what I really need is 5.45 74,  and 5.56 mags.  
I bought 3 of the current 47 mags.  
Not going to own anymore Blocks so no concern for the Block mags.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:10:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I will buy a few when they come out. I have so many Comblock mags already.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#37]
AIM has the new Magpuls listed, but as "out of stock....."
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 1:40:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Please, PLEASE, release 5.45 x 39 mags.

I need 50 or so to feel sort of comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Over on the M4 Carbine site the rep for Magpul said they have completed there testing. There cranking them out and soon will be for sale.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 1:22:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Over on the M4 Carbine site the rep for Magpul said they have completed there testing. There cranking them out and soon will be for sale.
View Quote

Testing the improved 7.62 or the brand new 5.45?

Link Posted: 10/26/2015 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#41]
The improved 7.62x39 one.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 4:32:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this just a hope/wish or has there been some announcement I've missed?
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They weren't officially announced but one of the Magpul reps confirmed in an update post on the 7.62 mags that they've been working on them as the next AK magazine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 10:14:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Hopefully Magpul is also working on a 5.56 mag. There's just as much, if not more, demand for a 5.56 AK mag.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 4:25:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Honestly i have so many surplus steel mags,Bakelite, and circle 10 mags that i will probably only buy one or two pmags just to say i have one or two.

Link Posted: 10/29/2015 4:35:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Please let there be a 5.45 model in the works.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#47]
These Mags are now shipping.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
These Mags are now shipping.
View Quote

Dang you beat me
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hopefully Magpul is also working on a 5.56 mag. There's just as much, if not more, demand for a 5.56 AK mag.
View Quote

You would think they would notice the 5.45 market has slowed down a bunch, as well as the always possible threat of a large amount of surplus mags getting dumped on the market depressing prices again.  The 5.56 makes a lot more sense to me as well.  I know making the mold is expensive, but as far as design, they already know the right curvature for a 5.56 magazine and now they know how to design around the AK magazine lockup.

Essentially like the design process for G36 and AUG PMAGs: it's just a PMAG with AK locking lugs.  Should be easy to crank that out in CAD.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top